7mm for ELR...

tobnpr

Building a 7mm (just 'cause I've always been a supporter of the 7) to run alongside my .300 WSM for ELR target.
Not interested in proprietary brass wildcats, nothing beyond simple necking down. I could do a 7 WSM, or 7 SAUM (same difference) but want something else.

Thinking 7 RUM, 7/300 PRC (anyone done one?) , mebbe even 7 STW (though I never see them used for target applications).
Building on a magnum length action/boltface, or I'd probably do a 7/300 Norma (with the cost of components, what's a few hundred more bucks for another tube...barrel life isn't a big consideration, within reason).

The 7mm/300PRC is certainly an interesting idea but throat life would probably be similar to a 28Nosler. Either of these should fill the bill.

But a few hundred pieces of quality brass before you build anything. Look how many guys are stuck with new rifles and no quality brass to be found.

What's your distance goals?

The 7s are great but a little light for ELR. Pushed around by the wind and hard to spot the splash when you miss.

If not interested in a ELR regular such a 375 or 40 then I'd be looking at a big 30 or 338.

The other downside to 7s above a RM is the barrel burn rate.

If I were building a mid sized ELR rig it would be somewhere between 338wm and edge capacity.

I'm currently building a 30-28 nosler hunting rig and feel like that or a 33-28 nosler would be a great option. Of course the good Ole 338 lapua would be hard to beat. I'd opt for the AI version throated / twisted for 300s were it me. Brass and bullets are not impossible to find, decent powder selections and great brass life from both.

A lot of your decisions will be based on what your definition of ELR is. It seems that many folks have a varied definition so you need to decide what your distance is going to be.

After shooting competitively and just for the sheer fun of it, I warm up at 1,000 yards and work my out to 2,500 yards which is the longest distance I can shoot with a good backstop at my current location which is not a certified range. Longer distances require me to use another location. Two miles or 3,520 yards I move further out on the desert which limits the times I can shoot without awful mirage during the middle part of the day.

I tested some 7mm cartridges and decided that the 7mm is too light for me. .30 caliber and 8mm are certainly OK but the real deal for intermediate ELR is the .338 in a cartridge with larger case capacity. The Edge is a bare minimum capacity so I shoot the 33XC case or even the .338-378 WBY which has the same capacity basically.

If I push a little further I'll use the bigger cases and bullets for the .375 CheyTac. I don't care for the 416 CT but I have one I work with.

Be prepared for the search for the places to shoot at those distances. Cases and bullets get to be more expensive the bigger you go and dies can be expensive and hard to find. Most shoot the Match solids. CheyTac cases are really difficult to find by the best makers. Bertram can be found but lacks the quality in my experience.

Examine all the variables and find the places to shoot within a reasonable distance.

Most of all, enjoy the whole experience!

:)

Last edited:
Its also a matter of which cartridge will help you be a better shooter at the longer distances.
Even if you never shoot at the extreme distances some here do, its more rewarding to do well than not so well.
If your plans are to shoot at distances of 1500 yards to a mile,
I wouldnt consider anything ( less ) than a large 30 caliber.
I have large 7mms, and they are a very good choice up to a point. but beyond that point you will shoot better with a larger cartridge.

I built a 7/300 PRC about 4 years ago and it is excellent.

I did it on a BAT action with .225 freebore, PROOF bbl, and a 1:8 twist. Currently run hunting 180 bergers at 3190. It will and has reached out to1500 yards and with 195's, perform very well past that.

I took a standard 300 PRC case and changed nothing but the neck. Made it easy to make a reamer, resize, and customize neck tension with bushings. Love this rifle and IMO, it is the way 7PRC SHOULD have been made rather than trying to stuff it into a short action

Attachments

• IMG_2412.jpg
    IMG_2412.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 20
Building a 7mm (just 'cause I've always been a supporter of the 7) to run alongside my .300 WSM for ELR target.
Not interested in proprietary brass wildcats, nothing beyond simple necking down. I could do a 7 WSM, or 7 SAUM (same difference) but want something else.

Thinking 7 RUM, 7/300 PRC (anyone done one?) , mebbe even 7 STW (though I never see them used for target applications).
Building on a magnum length action/boltface, or I'd probably do a 7/300 Norma (with the cost of components, what's a few hundred more bucks for another tube...barrel life isn't a big consideration, within reason).
I did a 7/300 Norma Improved. Amazing but kinda tough to get to run. Finicky and a lot of fire forming. Once up and running though, OMG!!! Ran 195 Bergers out of a 28 inch tube at 3250 FPS!!

My cousin has a 28sherman magnum it's the 300prc improved necked to 7mm. It's very accurate/fast and flat. He's shooting 180vlds with n570 I think he's running 3250ish just under 3300. That's his accuracy load too he had higher speeds but that was the consistence accurate load.

I did a 7/300 Norma Improved. Amazing but kinda tough to get to run. Finicky and a lot of fire forming. Once up and running though, OMG!!! Ran 195 Bergers out of a 28 inch tube at 3250 FPS!!
Very nice, but then im running 190s about 100 fps faster from a 300 Norma.
So although the 7mms are great, the 30 cal is even greater,
Especially at the longer distances.

1691620591213.png

1691620636951.png

I don't know man. Only thing I have shot at ELR (caveat, I have zero skill at or beyond one mile) is a 37XC, but I think you will need to go heavier in .30 cal to get the 7mm 195 EOL

View attachment 484353

View attachment 484354

I don't know man. Only thing I have shot at ELR (caveat, I have zero skill at or beyond one mile) is a 37XC, but I think you will need to go heavier in .30 cal to get the 7mm 195 EOL
Well i dont shoot that gun at those distances.
For many years i used a 30x378, and you know what, thats not a good gun at a mile either.
Especially when compared with better ones.
Go someplace with friends and compare a bunch of them on the same day. Then see how you feel about all of it.

Well i dont shoot that gun at those distances.
For many years i used a 30x378, and you know what, thats not a good gun at a mile either.
Especially when compared with better ones.
Go someplace with friends and compare a bunch of them on the same day. Then see how you feel about all of it.
Just replying to your comment that 190s out of a .30 cal are greater than 195s out of a 7mm……
"especially at the longer distances"

Yeah have to disagree on this point. Hard to beat the 195 berger unless we are stepping up to a 250 grain in 30 cal which is not what the post is. Its about a good 7mm....that said, a higher BC bullet in 7mm that is nearly as fast will be more stable and reliable at ELR distances. In this particular case, the 195 in 7mm beats your 190 in a 30 cal every time, ballistically

Recent Posts