7mm Dakota

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
This cartridge has kinda peaked my interest but I haven't been able to find much load data. Just curious as to case capacity and velocities that one can obtain w/a 180 gr projectile.

Thanks,
B.J.

I was kinda wondering the same thing. I have been looking at it for when I rebarrel my STW.

Bill

The 7mm Dakota is based on the 404 Jeffery case and
so is the 7mm Ultra Mag.

With this being said , looks like the 7mm RUM would
be the better of the two with brass, reamers and dies
being readily available and the same Ballistics.

BARNES RELOADING MANUAL # 3 Has Reloads for the 7mm Dakota
that can be compared to the 7mm ULTRA MAG.

I hope this will help.

J E CUSTOM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BJ,

The 7mm Dakota will not match the RUM for ballistics but it will match or slighly beat the 7mm STW.

ITs advantage is no belt and a short 2.550" case length so it will fit in standard length receivers such as the Ruger M77 and Win M70 standard action.

This give you true full length belted magnum performance in a standard length receiver.

The Hornady #5 manual has alot of data for the 7mm Dakota. THey are listing 3000 fps with a 175 class bullet so it would definately get this with a 180 gr Berger if that is what you were looking at. This was out of a 25" barrel. I would suspect you could drive the 180 gr pills to close to 3100 fps in a 26" barrel with upper end loads.

It a good round, dies are not terribly cheap but neither are 270 AM dies!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Or for that matter 338 AM dies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!!!

One time investment though.

If your looking to build a light weight big game rifle, this round would be a great option. I would personally build it so that it would handle any bullet from the 140 gr Accubond to the 200 gr ULD RBBT.

Also, I happen to know someone with a very accurate reamer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have have 7 Dakota (albeit in a center-grip Rem. XP-100).
My barrel is just hair short of 18 inches and I have only used 200 WC's with my accurate load running just over 2700 FPS (Lilja 1-7 twist) using Retumbo. I have never even used another bullet to date and don't plan to either. But the 162 AMax, 175 SMK and the 178 Carteruchio would also be bullets to use. I have also spoke with Dakota Arms about components and recieved the very same response as Kirby did. Kirby built my XP. Redding makes a shoulder bump body die for the 7mm Dakota and then I had Kirby ream out a comp set of Redding 7mm RM dies. This XP could embarrass a lot of rifles (I'm not talking about the rigs you LR guys use here) with it's accuracy/high BC bullet.
It will be my cow elk/muley buck rig for Colorado this year. I have never had such confidence at longer ranges as I do with this rig. If conditions are good and I don't pull a stupid it should shine well for LR specialty handgun.

How are you getting 2700fps with the big 200g out of a little 18" pipe? Im not calling you a liar by no means, just curious as to how thats possible. I've been wondering if my 7 mag would be able to stabilize them. If they were to shoot, anyone have a guess as to how fast a 24" 7 mag would push a 200g??? I'm thinking since your getting 2700, I should be able to at least get that or 2750fps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I realize he has an edge in capacity, although I did not know it was about 10g's worth, but I have 6" of barrel that he doesn't. I thought maybe it would cross cancel each other out. It just peaks my interest is all. If hes getting 2700, a 7 RM with 6" more barrel should at least get that is what I'm thinking.

I would need to check my load data at home but I think it is 76.0 of Retumbo. It is a tight dimensioned chamber and it was throated with the 200 WC in mind.
Here is the link to the orginal article 7mm Dakota

RemMan,

If you take the same throat length for both rounds, the Dakota has 13 to 15% more case capacity then the Rem Mag. That comes out to right at around 10 to 11 grains more capacity.

What is harder to compute into the comparision is that XPs handgun is specially throated to seat the 200 gr ULD RBBT WAY OUT THERE. Just guessing I would suspect this will add another 3 to 4 grains capacity over a factory throated 7mm Rem Mag.

Also, the throat on XPs handgun is very tight which will greatly add to the velocity of the barrels potential compared to a factory chamber job.

Other things you need to realize as well is the VAST majority of velocity is generated within the first 15" of barrel length. After that the increase in velocity per inch of barrel is certainly still there with these big rounds but it drops off significantly from this point out.

Also, it is easier to get a heavy bullet to good velocities in a handgun length barrel then it is to drive light bullets to high velocities in the same barrel length. The reason is because the heavy bullets produce a more efficent powder ignition and burn in the first several inches of barrel length.

Back to your rifle, I would not be surpised at all to see your 7mm Rem Mag reach 2700 fps with a 24" barrel. In fact I would expect a bit more then that in most cases. The 7mm STW will get around 3000 to 3050 fps with this bullet in a 28" barrel or longer.

A 7mm RUM will get you into the 3100 fps range and the 7mm AM will get you +3200 fps.

If I had to guess, I would say you could play with the 2800 fps range with your barrel length but that is just a guess. The 175 gr pills are a better choice for the 7mm Rem Mag in my opinion with that length barrel.

The question of stability comes into play as well. If you have a 1-9 I would say 50-50. If you have a 1-9.5 I would say no.

In testing XPs handgun before I shipped it, I was pushing just shy of 2700 fps with this same buller without even pushing things. I suspect his XP would get even more velocity if he pushed her really hard but if you read his post you will see he is loading the accuracy load which is around 2700 fps.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.