7mm Blaser Mag Reloading Data

I have done two 7mm blaser mags with a custom reamer setup to suit 180's both 26" barrels and they are running 180 eld m at 3050 FPS with RL26 69 gn, I'm just finishing up a 24" one now so should be loading for it in the next week or two

I have done two 7mm blaser mags with a custom reamer setup to suit 180's both 26" barrels and they are running 180 eld m at 3050 FPS with RL26 69 gn, I'm just finishing up a 24" one now so should be loading for it in the next week or two

Which 180 was it throated for? The ELDs have longer bearing surface than 180 Hybrids. Do you mind sharing your reamer print? What dies?

Which 180 was it throated for? The ELDs have longer bearing surface than 180 Hybrids. Do you mind sharing your reamer print? What dies?

I speccd the reamer with my smith to be able to run both the Berger and Hornady 180's as some barrels can be picky as to what they like so as to not rely on one projectile, I will also be trying it with the 162 ELD x and 168 Bergers also.

I am using Redding dies at the moment, and if you shoot me a PM I will send you my reamer print

Defensive Edge built my 7mm Blaser using a Hart fluted #4 finished at 26in. Mine isn't throated super long, my OAL w/180 Berger is 3.260 which is 5 thou off, so I'm probably giving up a little velocity but Shawn did his +P throat on mine so it's probably a wash. With the +P throat my load is 68.5gr RL26 and that's getting me 3088-3100 and shoots in the .3's. Mine will run well over 3100 and it even still shoots well at those speeds but I start getting clickers and little shiny ejector mark too.

The only commercially available dies that are available, at least that I could find, were the standard Redding dies and Norma makes the brass. I wouldn't mind having having a bushing die though.

I think in a medium weight rifle using a 26in barrel these 7mm Blaser mags hold their own and run right with the much larger case capacity cartridges like the 28 Nosler, 7 STW, 7-300Wby, etc. I'm sure if you compare the 7mm Blaser to those others and use a 28-30 inch barrel they'll show their extra horsepower but they're burning 15gr more powder too.

I've been gravitating toward building rifles with a max barrel length of 26in. and that seems to be a sweet spot for these 7mm Blasers.
7Blaser.png

I speccd the reamer with my smith to be able to run both the Berger and Hornady 180's as some barrels can be picky as to what they like so as to not rely on one projectile, I will also be trying it with the 162 ELD x and 168 Bergers also.

I am using Redding dies at the moment, and if you shoot me a PM I will send you my reamer print
Sent a message regarding reamer print. Since you're throated for the long eld-m, you can also run the 195 Berger as the bearing surface is very similar.

Im starting to acquire components to build either standard 7mm blaser or an improved. Curious to see what performance is out of 24" as that is what i have on other rifles.

I have a 24" one being finished up by my smith this week hopefully will get to some load development next week and I'll report back

I have a 24" one being finished up by my smith this week hopefully will get to some load development next week and I'll report back
who is building your gun? Im thinking of going to someone who has built one specifically rather than using my local guy.

Hi all, I am looking at building up a few 7 Blaser rifles, one for myself and a few for clients. What does the "improved" version change? Does anyone have a copy of that print? The 7mm Practical seems pretty close to the ideal except I hate belts. The 7 LRM seems promising except for the lack of decent brass. I don't want to step into the really overbored cases. 7 WSM (which I have) and 7-300 WSM seem just a little small to consistently get 180s over 3000fps. The Blaser is pretty much right there. I'm thinking optimize the reamer for 180 ELD-M and hybrids, maybe pull some taper out of the sides otherwise leave it alone.

Thanks for the info posted here.

Dave

Scouter has an improved reamer, it has a 37° shoulder angle, and slightly less taper, and a lot longer throat. The CIP chamber spec is only 0.063" freebore. To take advantage of the long necked case and seat heavy bullets optimally, 200+ freebore is desired. Scouters chamber spec is 230 freebore. The 7wsm actually has slightly more usable case capacity with a bullet seated with the boat tail at the base of neck, has a shorter fatter powder column and is arguably a more efficient design, it's just missing a long neck. The 7mm rem mag is 82gr, 7 blaser is 82gr including the long neck, the 7mm wsm is right about the same capacity with a shorter neck than the prior 2, meaning it has more boiler room. If you're looking for more horsepower, you'll need a bigger case. The 7mm blaser improved will get another 4-5gr usable cap. Next step up is a 7mm-300 win mag which has around 90gr capacity, then you have the 28 nosler & 7 stw which are right around 100gr.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it will display correctly (and even if it does, how accurate their numbers are) but this is what ammoguide shows. My understanding is the Mashburn (MSM) is pretty similar to the Practical/7-300 Win. I had the two 33 cal in there as I thought they might be candidates for a 7 wildcat.

I just want a reliable 3000-3100 fps with 180gr bullets 26" barrel (or maybe a 24" for one of the rifles). The 7-300 WSM would give a little more neck but not case size. All the actions will take bullets seated out to not cramp the powder (of course will need to be throated accordingly).

268.gif

7mm WSM
(79.7)
13.gif

7mm Rem
(80.8)
995.gif

7mm Blaser
(82.8)
892.gif

7LRM
(84.8)