.72 muzzle. Too small for a 31" .338 barrel?

Despotes

I had Bartlein rebarrel/chamber my Weatherby to 338 Lapua Improved last July and the order is finally finished and ready to ship, but I was told they made a mistake and tapered the 31" barrel to .72 at the muzzle vs .83 as I told them.
I had them use the stock Weatherby Accumark 30-378 barrel profile except from the forend tip to the muzzle where I wanted no taper (To fit the stock).
Will the .83 from the stock forend to the muzzle at .72 affect accuracy?
After waiting 10 months, I'm trying to live with this if it doesn't have a detrimental affect. I'd much rather have it at .83, but unsure how much longer it would take to correct the mistake. They also tapered the rear of the T3 muzzle brake to .72 as well, so they'd have to replace that too if I decide to have them fix their goof up.
Here's a pic they sent me:

I think a person should get what he wanted and ordered. But, in my opinion, having the front 20 inches of the barrel .830" in diameter and without any taper on that rifle would be awful.

I can't imagine calling a customer and telling them their rifle was ready to go, by the way ts not what you ordered. I do think it's probably going to be a better barrel than what you wanted, I think a normal taper then going straight for that distance on the end would not be beneficial and may cause some oddness.

I had Bartlein rebarrel/chamber my Weatherby to 338 Lapua Improved last July and the order is finally finished and ready to ship, but I was told they made a mistake and tapered the 31" barrel to .72 at the muzzle vs .83 as I told them.
I had them use the stock Weatherby Accumark 30-378 barrel profile except from the forend tip to the muzzle where I wanted no taper (To fit the stock).
Will the .83 from the stock forend to the muzzle at .72 affect accuracy?
After waiting 10 months, I'm trying to live with this if it doesn't have a detrimental affect. I'd much rather have it at .83, but unsure how much longer it would take to correct the mistake. They also tapered the rear of the T3 muzzle brake to .72 as well, so they'd have to replace that too if I decide to have them fix their goof up.
Here's a pic they sent me:

What size thread did they use on the barrel tenon ? The reason I ask, is you only have .041
thousandths barrel wall left over the minimum wall thickness without a brake.

The barrel OD would be ok if it was not threaded. the only other thing is for a cartridge as powerful as the 338 Lapua that is a very small barrel for the length and you may have problems with barrel whip with heavy bullets at high velocities.

I would have to agree with the recommendation to have them send you a new barrel and brake.

J E CUSTOM

I would make them change it to what you wanted it to be , the light barrel probably won't work well

Have them change it. I'm struggling with barrel whip myself in a 338. I have a 31 inch Brux that is awesome with the lighter bullets. But as soon as you load a heavier bullet, the barrel looks like a conductors stick waving in the wind. The gun can easily handle the 300 grain bullet, but it's the light contour barrel that can't. Save yourself the heartache and get what you originally wanted.

I have a 28" Bartlein with 0.730" diameter at the muzzle, but I can't yet speak to how it shoots. I completed barrel break-in and it's currently being nitrided. I don't expect problems with the 0.730" muzzle diameter at 28" length, based on what I've read following others' builds.

I'd ask Bartlein if they'll agree to allow you to shoot this barrel to confirm accuracy and performance. lightbulb Then return it if it's unacceptable. You'll know what you're getting prior to owning it. That would be the better of your options. So why not give it a whirl...

I've decided to have them correct the issue. I'm not taking any chances. I just hope it won't take 6 months to fix their mistake.

I've decided to have them correct the issue. I'm not taking any chances. I just hope it won't take 6 months to fix their mistake.

I think that is a good move. Light barrels are by nature problematic in powerful cartridges and you can spend lots of time and money trying to get it to shoot.

Your original barrel contour will be much more forgiving and the chances of it shooting several loads very well are much better. I know waiting will be tough, but the wait will be worth it.

J E CUSTOM

When a man spends that kind of money (or woman) they should get what they asked for. It stinks that you will have to wait, but I think you may have strong persuasion to push it to the front of production.....Rich

I would have them fix the mistake and they should make your barrel a priority like Rich mentioned since you waited 6 months to get what you didn't order.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts