7 SAUM load data

I haven't read most of the posts in this thread but I found the 160gr Nosler Accubond to be so perfect in my 7SAUM that I simply quit trying other bullets. Both in Nosler Factory Ammo which I had picked up cheap before the crazy price increases and with Varget and Federal GMM primers they simply shoot too well to believe in a lightweight Model 7 AWR with a custom 9" twist barrel bedded by a great gunsmith.

As you can imagine it's my favorite rifle and load for hunting medium to large game.

By the way the brass I mostly have used is Nosler originally obtained with factory ammo and handloaded after the first firing.

I haven't read most of the posts in this thread but I found the 160gr Nosler Accubond to be so perfect in my 7SAUM that I simply quit trying other bullets. Both in Nosler Factory Ammo which I had picked up cheap before the crazy price increases and with Varget and Federal GMM primers they simply shoot too well to believe in a lightweight Model 7 AWR with a custom 9" twist barrel bedded by a great gunsmith.

As you can imagine it's my favorite rifle and load for hunting medium to large game.

By the way the brass I mostly have used is Nosler originally obtained with factory ammo and handloaded after the first firing.
Do you still have the work up info for varget and 160's? I have tried a lot of powders in my SAUMs but never tried varget. Very curious to hear charge weights and velocities

I'm not willing to share my charge weights other than to say that I found best accuracy near the top of the Hodgdon website's published data. There are way too many factors affecting appropriate charge weights.

Varget is a very forgiving and moderately fast powder which is perfect for the SAUM cartridges.

I've read that it's hard to find now and I'm hoarding what I have left of it. It's easily the most versatile rifle powder I've ever used and it's my go to powder for 223, 243, 308 and the SAUM's which are my primary hunting cartridges. It's incredibly temperature sensitive and I've tested that myself to confirm it.

I also have a 375H&H but haven't used it much in that rifle because of torn retina issues I've had in the past. That rifle will likely only be used for something like elk, moose or big bears with load development spread over several days to lessen the impact of the head whip upon firing. If you aren't familiar with head whip (my term) view some videos of people shooting heavy rifles and watch their head. In slow motion it can be scary.

You'll see a few post about H4350 and the 7 Saum but not many. Decided to give it a go for myself and man, it was a shooter right out of the gate at 150 yards. Barrel is not even broken in on this one yet but super promising and initial findings are very forgiving, at least with this rifle.
150 yards
Beautiful Rig

My 25" 7 saum is shooting 1/2" groups with 60.5 R26 and 180 hybrid for 2950. Mine is built on an xm action and I'm not seeing pressure signs with this load.

This is a new barrel and virgin brass so I'm going to wait until I have a few hundred rounds down the barrel before I get serious about load work up.
IMG_1488.jpeg

I'm new to the 7's hell realm with both being AR's. 7-08 (recently built) and a 7saum barrel in the shop awaiting to be chambered, headspaced and threaded. I can't have just 1 cartridge per caliber, so the saum was the choice of champions.........7 this and 7 that has been ramned down my throat for decades, so I decided to see what the hoopla was all about? The diss'n of my beloved 264wm by the 7 lovers saying mine is better than yours made me laugh!

I'm not willing to share my charge weights other than to say that I found best accuracy near the top of the Hodgdon website's published data. There are way too many factors affecting appropriate charge weights.

Varget is a very forgiving and moderately fast powder which is perfect for the SAUM cartridges.

I've read that it's hard to find now and I'm hoarding what I have left of it. It's easily the most versatile rifle powder I've ever used and it's my go to powder for 223, 243, 308 and the SAUM's which are my primary hunting cartridges. It's incredibly temperature sensitive and I've tested that myself to confirm it.

I also have a 375H&H but haven't used it much in that rifle because of torn retina issues I've had in the past. That rifle will likely only be used for something like elk, moose or big bears with load development spread over several days to lessen the impact of the head whip upon firing. If you aren't familiar with head whip (my term) view some videos of people shooting heavy rifles and watch their head. In slow motion it can be scary.
Members on here that reload know safety measures, so no disclaimer will be needed. If you know coal, ctbo and/or jump then that will always be taken into affect. I feel the same way about posting load data also. Most of my loads are at max and some over published data.

I currently am having a 7SAUM built. I sent a few dummy rounds with a COAL of 3.100 . Specs are Kauger arms VPR long action, 8.5 twist Brux finished at 24.5 inches and should have it back in the next few weeks. I have around 250 pieces of new Norma brass, 500 Berger 180 VLD-H and a bunch of CCI 200s and BR2's. Powders I have available H4831sc, N560, N565 and H1000. I have read through this thread. Seems like 565 and 560 are giving good speed and great accuracy. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Recent Posts