7 PRC

It also shows how far in advance companies start developing new cartridges. When the 7PRC development started, RL26 wasn't all that hard to find. It's kind of fun being a gun nut and working for a company that makes test barrels for so many of the new calibers being created. I get to see and handle all of the accuracy, piezo, and velocity test barrels that we make in house here. While many cartridges make it to market, there are some that don't. You can sometimes look at the prints for a new design and just tell that the cartridge is going to be a hit. Others, not so much.

Here in boise there's quite a bit I saw about 15 more boxes on the shelf. 175 eldx
My son, has already bought, 3 Boxes of Factory, 175 ELD-X Ammo and, a Brake,.. he just ordered, the New Rifle, Today !
The 7 PRC, will REPLACE,.. MANY older, 7 Magnums and, the 6.8 westerner.
Hornady has Hit, 3 "Home Runs" in a Row with, awesome, Cartridge Design,.. the 6.5 Creed, the 6.5 PRC and, the New, 7 PRC.
And their Bullets, AIN'T "Bad",.. either !
Everybody and their Mother in Law, will make, Brass and Rifles as,.. it's, gonna BE,.. Popular !
My grandson has killed, 3 Deer ( W/ ELD-X's ) with, his very accurate, Savage Ultra Lite ( Proof Barrel ),.. IT's,.. a "Tack Driver" with, reasonable, Recoil !

Last edited:
My son, has already bought, 3 Boxes of Factory, 175 ELD-X Ammo and, a Brake,.. he just ordered, the New Rifle, Today !
The 7 PRC, will REPLACE,.. MANY older, 7 Magnums and, the 6.8 westerner.
Hornady has Hit, 3 "Home Runs" in a Row with, awesome, Cartridge Design,.. the 6.5 Creed, the 6.5 PRC and, the New, 7 PRC.
And their Bullets, AIN'T "Bad",.. either !
Everybody and their Mother in Law, will make, Brass and Rifles as,.. it's, gonna BE,.. Popular !
My grandson has killed, 3 Deer ( W/ ELD-X's ) with, his very accurate, Savage Ultra Lite ( Proof Barrel ),.. IT's,.. a "Tack Driver" with, reasonable, Recoil !
Many here are not going to agree.
61AB9B57-3961-42BE-8E2A-8C5E5767EB4B.jpeg

...nothing personal but this cartridge seems to cause more anxiety than much additional performance...lol
I just got off the phone with one of my PA buddies.

He was telling me about his successful elk hunt in Montana last month.

He shot a nice bull at 905 yards.

Bergara 300 PRC with Hornady 212ELDX.

$1,000 rifle off the shelf
$500 worth ammo for practicing/ dope chart on the range they cleared.
$700 scope

Legitimate good guy that had never shot at an animal over 350 yards.

He & his buddies worked up a dope card for his rifle.

He was successful because the components were readily available & he worked with those components to make an ethical harvest.

Could he of done the same thing with his 300WM or a Nosler?
Maybe eventually he could have, but not as efficiently as he did with his 300PRC.

That's what I see these PRCs being.

I just got off the phone with one of my PA buddies.

He was telling me about his successful elk hunt in Montana last month.

He shot a nice bull at 905 yards.

Bergara 300 PRC with Hornady 212ELDX.

$1,000 rifle off the shelf
$500 worth ammo for practicing/ dope chart on the range they cleared.
$700 scope

Legitimate good guy that had never shot at an animal over 350 yards.

He & his buddies worked up a dope card for his rifle.

He was successful because the components were readily available & he worked with those components to make an ethical harvest.

Could he of done the same thing with his 300WM or a Nosler?
Maybe eventually he could have, but not as efficiently as he did with his 300PRC.

That's what I see these PRCs being.
First off let's keep one thing in focus, hunting is not benchrest shooting, the lethal target area is bigger than a basketball and not a pea, off-the shelf bolts are more than capable of delivering unless you are a terrible trigger man or have incredible bad luck. A plain Jane ho-hum .300WM has harvested many elk at ranges even most on here would not feel comfortable shooting at except the few. "more efficiently ", do you really think an animals vital area will notice the slight velocity difference between the two, I don't think so, and the trajectory difference can be taken care of with a click or two. To me still not worth all the baggage and anxiety...

Not to bash any cartridge, but does 7 PRC do anything a 280 AI doesn't do? I see a few load configurations that exceed the AI by 20-50 FPS with 175 bullets and I get that for many who want to squeeze every FPS they can out of a cartridge, this may be the way to go. I'm happy to see so many supporting fresh concepts in cartridge/ bullet design. It keeps the industry interesting and viable. I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor when they were first available and it has become my defacto hunting round, I built a 300 Ham'r this year and love it but I'm not throwing out my 30-30 nor my old 270, both of which will efficiently take any animal in the lower 48 and I prefer my 6.5x55 AI to the 6.5 PRC simply for round count in a given platform, they perform the same. These are my thoughts and I whole heartedly support the old song, "it's your thing, do what you want to do!"

I'm just finishing up my second fully custom 280AI. Told my builder if I was starting today (vs Jan'22) I'd build a 7 PRC. I really like the case design and adds just a touch more velocity without stupid levels of powder charge. For me personally, this one hits the sweet spot for 7mm's before the point of diminishing returns of getting way too overbore.

First off let's keep one thing in focus, hunting is not benchrest shooting, the lethal target area is bigger than a basketball and not a pea, off-the shelf bolts are more than capable of delivering unless you are a terrible trigger man or have incredible bad luck. A plain Jane ho-hum .300WM has harvested many elk at ranges even most on here would not feel comfortable shooting at except the few. "more efficiently ", do you really think an animals vital area will notice the slight velocity difference between the two, I don't think so, and the trajectory difference can be taken care of with a click or two. To me still not worth all the baggage and anxiety...

I agree with this completely but I think you're missing his point.

For the non hand loader it's difficult to improve on the prc/ creed line of ammo when it comes to availability, long range accuracy and quality long range bullets.

FWIW- I shoot a 6 dasher, 7 saum and 30 nosler so not on the band wagon myself... 😉