7 mm RM problems

Don't want to read it all again. Is his chamber bad or was the belt poorly located on his batch of brass? Surprised that there is no issue with shallow primer strikes if head space is excessive.

Steve

To our messages the headspace was excessive. He was blowing the shoulders to far forward which was causing the necks to be "false". What lead me to believe he had a headspace issue is when he he said he could not chamber a fired piece of brass. His brass could only be chambered after sizing.

To our messages the headspace was excessive. He was blowing the shoulders to far forward which was causing the necks to be "false". What lead me to believe he had a headspace issue is when he he said he could not chamber a fired piece of brass. His brass could only be fired after sizing.

Yep very. It was 4 thou over spec near the case rim. Fired brass would not rechamber unless fl sized. Got the new barrel & it won't use my Peterson brass. Gets stuck in chamber after firing. Tried Win brass & good to go.

BW

It won't use the Peterson brass after being f/l sized?

It will use the Peterson brass after fl sized but.....it sticks in the chamber when fired. I have to beat on the bolt handle to get it out. And no it's NOT a hot load. Almost 1 gr under Hodgdon max..

BW

It will use the Peterson brass after fl sized but.....it sticks in the chamber when fired. I have to beat on the bolt handle to get it out. And no it's NOT a hot load. Almost 1 gr under Hodgdon max..

BW

Is the headspace set off the shoulder or belt?

I am willing to bet if you take the Winchester fired brass and set the headspace off the fired brass shoulder you won't have an issue.

There lies the giant problem with belted cases as I have said before. It isn't an exact measurement of headspace and that is the biggest reason people do not like them. Once you have fired brass, you are able to headspace off the shoulder.

It's not belted it's 605 cm. It is head spaced off the shoulder. Seems the chamber is not allowing the thicker Pete brass to expand & still be able to extract it. There's a 20gr difference in case weight so Pete is much thicker. Reason I'm following this thread is I have a 7 mag barrel on order for a Savage 111 I just picked up for $280.
Sorry I hijacked the thread. :(

BW

It's not belted it's 605 cm. It is head spaced off the shoulder. Seems the chamber is not allowing the thicker Pete brass to expand & still be able to extract it. There's a 20gr difference in case weight so Pete is much thicker. Reason I'm following this thread is I have a 7 mag barrel on order for a Savage 111 I just picked up for $280.
Sorry I hijacked the thread. :(

BW

Ah I thought you had a 7RM. Have you tried lapua brass compared to the Petersen and Winchester? I've only messed with lapua in 260, 308, and 338 but I have noticed with 260 and 308 it is a lot thicker and less capacity compared to Win brass. I have not been able to compare it to Petersen brass yet.

Use Lapua in my .308 Rem 700 for 1000 yard bench. 12 firings & haven't fl sized yet. :) Gotta love it.

BW

Innovative Technologies make a die for belted cases that sizes the body right down to the belt (one size fits all, almost), not sure if it's really required or does any good though

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.