6mm x .284 norma dies

I have 3 been shooting them for years. My friend that chambered mine has been using these for deer and elk since late 70's. I was with him in Colorado and sighting in our guns he split a neck. He told me that always happens after first reloading. I told him I have got 4-5 reloading's and only problem I had was primer pockets getting loose. My procedure was and this was when we was using Winchester 284 brass: first run thru a 6.5 x 284 die then thru a 25 x 284 die then thru final step of the 6mm 284 die. My extra step of going thru the 25 is why I think I have never split a neck. He agreed. Foe white tail here in Md. and Pa. I use the 85 sierra bthp with 53 grains of imr 4350 you can get it close 3500 fps but of course start off little lighter maybe like 51 to start. This guy has taken 23 bull elk since 1978 using the old 100 nosler solid base with 51 grains of I-4350. Nosler discontinued that bullet but he had a gun shop and bought up a few thousand.

I have 3 been shooting them for years. My friend that chambered mine has been using these for deer and elk since late 70's. I was with him in Colorado and sighting in our guns he split a neck. He told me that always happens after first reloading. I told him I have got 4-5 reloading's and only problem I had was primer pockets getting loose. My procedure was and this was when we was using Winchester 284 brass: first run thru a 6.5 x 284 die then thru a 25 x 284 die then thru final step of the 6mm 284 die. My extra step of going thru the 25 is why I think I have never split a neck. He agreed. Foe white tail here in Md. and Pa. I use the 85 sierra bthp with 53 grains of imr 4350 you can get it close 3500 fps but of course start off little lighter maybe like 51 to start. This guy has taken 23 bull elk since 1978 using the old 100 nosler solid base with 51 grains of I-4350. Nosler discontinued that bullet but he had a gun shop and bought up a few thousand.
That's good information thankyou.

I'm 78 & don't hunt anymore, but still enjoy a few days shooting prairie dogs. Have used a 6mm/284W for years. After rebarreling with a Lilja 30" barrel, my best accuracy improvement was neck turning the cases. Using a 2-step process (.284 to 6.5 to 6mm) neck thickness swelled to .022/.024 after necking down. Had some bolt sticking problems and so so 3/4"accuracy. Turned necks to .014 and my 1st 4 shot group was .21" at 100 yds, using older reloads. Load is 54.1 gr R22, Hornady 87 gr Amax, CCI mag Primers. I use all Sinclair & RCBS tools. Recoil is a problem for me, so have mostly retired the 6/284 and enjoy a .204R & .220 Swift.

View attachment 157939
There are differences between the win View attachment 157938 and Norma cartridges case dimensions compare these photos
Lol, seen this argument go on and on after norma started producing brass for it and dies started hitting the market. Got one set of dis that say WIN and one set that say Norma. Both sets measure exactly the same.
Found out through research after needles purchase of second set, some die manufacturers stayed with the wildcat name.

Anyone know where to get a set of 6mm x .284 norma reloading dies?
Rcbs, redd
is there a difference between 6mm 284 norma and 6mm 284 win in dies
I went through this when I first started loading for it. I bought the win and the norma dies, both are identical results. Some die manufacturers stuck with the wildcat name 6.5 x284 win but their cut to the norma specs. You have a choice of neck sizing dies if you want to control the neck tension.
I now have redding comp type s neck die with .292 .293 and .294 bushings, forester ultra micro seat die and redding body die.

Between 2 rifles one likes retumbo and the other likes H1000 but both those powders are hard to find. H4831sc is also a go to powder.
I prefer WinLRM primers and Fed lrm match. The win primers I find push 20- 40 fps faster than any other I've tried but the fed got better Es and sd.
I've used win, lapua, norma, nosler and hornady brass.
I rank it
Lapua
Norma
Nosler
Hornaday
I'll never buy hornady again.
Hunting rounds I use hornady 140 sst pushing 1 rifle 2946fps 10 shot 7 fps sd with Es aroud 8. The other rifle 2938fps 5 fps sd with an Es of 3.
Average brass life 10 to 15 reloads.
I have pushed it as high as 3186 fps but prime pockets were blown in 4 reloads on the norma brass.

Hope that helps.

Love this round!

I use Redding bushing die and body bump die also comp seater die.

If you are interested in more 6mm-284 load data ( I have two rifles):

Using necked down 6.5-284 lapua brass custom reamer with a .277" neck. Turned for .004" chamber neck clearance.

Fed 210 primers

Please work up to these loads as your rifle may be different.

Loads:
First is a sporter using 24" rem 243 takeoffs rechambered by me. Two loads:

55 gr nosler bt and 51 gr of Varget 4100 fps did go up to 4200 but accuracy suffered

95 gr classic hunter and 51 gr of RL-17 Fed 210m 3495 fps

Second rifle using a Bartlein 26" 1in 7.5 twist that was originally 30" but throat shot out. I cut off rear of barrel and threaded and rechambered it to see if it would once again shoot and it does. Not shooting it too much, figure it will have a short second life.

Berger 105 hybrid @3465 fps 63.5 gr of RL-33

(this has to be higher than what most barrels will yield. This is typical for what a 30' barrel yields. Think it has to do with the bore being so worn and perhaps a bit loose.

I'm 78 & don't hunt anymore, but still enjoy a few days shooting prairie dogs. Have used a 6mm/284W for years. After rebarreling with a Lilja 30" barrel, my best accuracy improvement was neck turning the cases. Using a 2-step process (.284 to 6.5 to 6mm) neck thickness swelled to .022/.024 after necking down. Had some bolt sticking problems and so so 3/4"accuracy. Turned necks to .014 and my 1st 4 shot group was .21" at 100 yds, using older reloads. Load is 54.1 gr R22, Hornady 87 gr Amax, CCI mag Primers. I use all Sinclair & RCBS tools. Recoil is a problem for me, so have mostly retired the 6/284 and enjoy a .204R & .220 Swift.
Thank you for the information

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts