6mm ai too long for savage short action?

The more i think about it the more I believe I'm going to go with 6.5mm 300wsm. I'll have to round up some 270wsm brass though. The BC for 7mm is slightly better but i have two 7mags. The 6.5mm BC is much better than 6mm.
Originally I was just looking for an easy build for a M10 action. But I might as well build something with more down range energy. I was impressed with the terminal performance of the 6.5mm140gr VLDs in my 6.5 284 this last deer season. And a short mag would fit all my needs and it is good to know I'm won't be committing a sin by chambering a WSM in a small shank barrel.
I don't know how much work your willing to do but Elkoholic's 6.5 SS with the 150 n 160 matrix fit's in a standard box with the bullet seated at the neck/shoulder juncture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY2...ng.com/forums/f19/6-5-ss-final-design-109263/
Bullets.com has 25, 250 and 2000pc pkg's of 7saum and 300saum norma brass. The longer neck will help quite a bit for the barrel.

* in one post, the OP said something bout reaming the barrel .100" short (assuming he was referring to head space). The round would fall between the .243 and the 6x55 round, and with a 30 degree shoulder be very similar to the 6mm Vias. Figuring thru the back of my head. George Vias pushed the shoulder back to allow for case shrinkage with the 55mm case.

* Reaming the 6BR chamber to head space off a .300 Savage gauge will give you a 6BG, and this round will do 2950 fps with 107 Sierras. Needless to say a serious over achiever like the 6BR. Use .243 Lapua brass to form the cases just like doing the 6x250AI. But with the BG you have a much better neck and shoulder design.

* The 6mm SLR is simply another improved .243, but a much better design. Kind of similar to a .224 Jaybird necked up to 6mm. Like the BG, case shrinkage during fire forming is minimal.

* the 6mm Remington is right at the edge of going into over bore. The improved versions take it into over bore, but not by a great amount. That's why it works best with heavier bullets, yet the Vias will shoot them all. (4150FPS with a 70 grain bullet)

* the .270 WSM necked down to 6.5mm is a great round, but so is the 6.5SLR! Cases are made out of basic .260 brass. The downfall of the WSM is case expense, and seem to be hard to come by. Have no idea about quality control.
gary

So much discussion about my two favorite calibers!! I have 3-6mm variants & 2-6.5mm's so far...

The 6mmAI was the second wildcat I ever had (243AI being first). I run my 6mmAI out of a Savage 110 (Short magazine). I made a big mistake when I built my 6mmAI... 1-12" twist, rookie mistake... Launching 85grn pills at a leisurely 3400fps yields excellent brass life & dead critter :D I know I can crank it up further but it shoots in the .3's so... I'll leave it be. One caveat, I did have to tinker with the magazine quite a bit to get my Savage to feed the AI case... the mag didn't like that at all.

6x284 is my all time favorite 6mm cartridge. I'm almost positive my 107's are seated right around 3.100"... but i'm also running a long action so it really doesn't matter...

I noticed the OP later mentioned the 6.5WSM, fine choice :cool: I sure enjoy mine. IMHO, at least for the WSM, don't waste your time & barrel on 140's... not when you can rock 150's & 160's, THAT'S where the greater powder capacity will shine. The .680 G1 of the 160 bests any 7mm Berger offers at this time; with less recoil & at a higher velocity that can be had by the 7mm short mags. How can you go wrong?

Either way, you're in for a treat. Extremely flat trajectory & minimal recoil. Out of all the cartridges discussed, I agree with Gary that the 6mmAI will provide the most bore life.

t

Ha ha. I also modified a Savage mag box on my 300wm in order to seat bullets longer. It worked for a while but eventually resulted in some feeding issues. I might try it again at a later date but all in all it was only about half successful ( not good for a hunting scenario).

Last edited:
Probably.

So make it an 8 twist 6mm Ackley.

I've had success seating VLDs .075" off the lands. As long as the ogive isn't inside that long case neck.
If that doesn't work there is always the 95gr classis hunter. Why not.

Man i got all turned on by fantasizing about that 6mm wsm. When i burn out my 300wsm (which i love) I'll try it.

Probably.

So make it an 8 twist 6mm Ackley.

I've had success seating VLDs .075" off the lands. As long as the ogive isn't inside that long case neck.
If that doesn't work there is always the 95gr classis hunter. Why not.

Man i got all turned on by fantasizing about that 6mm wsm. When i burn out my 300wsm (which i love) I'll try it.

Worst case scenario, you can always run the 105 Hybrids. Personally, I think you make a fine choice with the 6mmAI. Start sourcing brass now, being the one downside, buy them when you find them & don't quit until you have enough... or more.

t

Worst case scenario, you can always run the 105 Hybrids. Personally, I think you make a fine choice with the 6mmAI. Start sourcing brass now, being the one downside, buy them when you find them & don't quit until you have enough... or more.

t
I've ordered Norma 7×57 mauser brass for forming. I have a 6.5 284 and 6m Rem dies to start the ball rolling.

Last edited:
I've ordered Norma 7×57 mauser brass for forming. I have a 6.5 284 and 6m Rem dies to start the ball rolling.

Pay attention to your neck thickness. Necking down 1mm shouldn't be a problem but we are all aware of Murphy's law. Measure a few just to make sure.

t

Pay attention to your neck thickness.
I always neck turn everything even lapua just to clean everything up and to prevent donuts. I usually turn to .012 to .013 depending on the chamber. I've ordered a Redding 6mm Ackley body die for body sizing and Lee collet for neck sizing. The Lee collet neck dies worked great on my 270 AI.
The Norma7×57 mauser was more expensive than the Norma 270wsm brass ( bullets.com had a sale).

Start sourcing brass now, being the one downside, buy them when you find them & don't quit until you have enough... or more.

If by this you mean 6mm Remington brass, yeah that stuff is NON EXISTENT.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.