6.5 X 284 Brass and 6.5 x 284 Norma

rseaman

I'm not no expert reloader, how much difference is there in the 6.5 x 284 Win.and the 6.5 x 284 Norma, the things I've read says the Norma only needs to be seated longer, everything else i've read seems to say the brass is the same, so my question is can I use 6.5 x 284 Norma brass for my 6.5 x 284 Win

the brass will be ok and wont have any problems.
the loads between the two are not interchangeable but I am sure you know that

the brass will be ok and wont have any problems.
the loads between the two are not interchangeable but I am sure you know that
Agree.
One of the reasons for confusion is that over the years manufacturers(particularly Lapua and Redding) have indescrimately labeled their 6.5x284 brass/dies 'Winchester" or "Norma". They are dimensionally the same...and officially the 6.5X284 Norma spec.

I had a 6.5/284 Winchester wildcat in the late 90's. I necked down 284 Win brass. It was good, tough brass. That reamer was designed with a short throat. Again, I was told that when it became a SAAMI round, the reamer cut a longer throat ( for the long action/long range heavies 140+) I got some of the new made Lapua, Hornady & Norma brass and all were much softer than the Lot of Win brass I was using. Couldn't get quite the same speed, but still a good, flat shooter. I purposely had mine built on a Mod 700 SA and only used the 120/125gr bullets. I'm a "point shooter" and limit myself under 400yds. It was just a turd to feed in that Mod 700 shorty! It got traded off to a guy who liked it. Merry Christmas guys!

Largely due to the wide array of chambering variations over the years, there is no SAAMI spec for the 6.5x284 Norma here in the US. ...too much liability(Europe does have a spec with their SAAMI equivalent). This is a primary reason that the major ammo suppliers have little/no factory ammo available for the 6.5x284. This is one of the drivers behind Hornady's intro of the 6.5PRC.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.