6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag) Q@A

I note that SAUM brass seems to be out at the usual sources ??? Did you work with RP or Norma? Close to $3/case for the Norma .... Ouch! If you can find it...

I note that SAUM brass seems to be out at the usual sources ??? Did you work with RP or Norma? Close to $3/case for the Norma .... Ouch! If you can find it...

I started with RP and switched to 300 SAUM Norma when it became available last year. I t was only $1/ea. when I got it.......Rich

Do you have a no-neck turn reamer for the 6.5SS?

I have been intrigued by GAP's 6.5SAUM, but the 6.5SS is even more appealing. I'm not a fan of long barrels. I assume I'm not giving up performance by going with a 23-24" barrel?

Do you have a no-neck turn reamer for the 6.5SS?

I have been intrigued by GAP's 6.5SAUM, but the 6.5SS is even more appealing. I'm not a fan of long barrels. I assume I'm not giving up performance by going with a 23-24" barrel?

I don't currently have a no turn version, and I'm not sure it would be a good idea if you want to use Norma brass (just trying to be upfront)! The SS , being shortened, gets into the shoulder of the case to form part of the longer neck on the SS, which leaves a ridge on the case. This can easily be turned down to the original neck thickness, but you would still be turning the neck. The 300 SAUM Norma brass is plenty thick in the neck (approx. .016") If you use RP brass, it is not an issue but I strongly prefer the Norma myself. A 24" barrel would still get you close to 3100' with the 160 Matrix and RL33. The SS really seems to be efficient with the shortened, low taper body, and 40 degree shoulder. It will easily equal the performance of the larger capacity 6.5 Sherman.......rich

What kind of accuracy, pressures are you getting with H1000 vs. rl33? I hear the 4S loves the H1000. Curious what you found in the SS that made you go RL33. I've been collecting H1000 for my 6.5 SS build and wonder if I should get RL33 too. Also with 7saum available in R-P brass wouldn't that save some headache forming? I know R-p brass isn't as consistent as norma brass. But if you sorted it by weight, would that make it as good as norma brass? I ask because I can buy 7saum brass easily, but norma brass is as rare as owls teeth right now.
Whenever I see a thread on the 6.5 SS I get excited! It's such a brilliant design. Can't wait to shoot it!

What kind of accuracy, pressures are you getting with H1000 vs. rl33? I hear the 4S loves the H1000. Curious what you found in the SS that made you go RL33. I've been collecting H1000 for my 6.5 SS build and wonder if I should get RL33 too. Also with 7saum available in R-P brass wouldn't that save some headache forming? I know R-p brass isn't as consistent as norma brass. But if you sorted it by weight, would that make it as good as norma brass? I ask because I can buy 7saum brass easily, but norma brass is as rare as owls teeth right now.
Whenever I see a thread on the 6.5 SS I get excited! It's such a brilliant design. Can't wait to shoot it!

I don't have exact data yet on increase in velocity between H1000 and RL 33 with the 160's, but I think it is safe to say 150' with equal pressure. That will change your mind in a hurry when you shoot a .3 at 3086' with a perfectly safe load:D Also, early minimal tests show good ES and I hear it is quite temp tolerant as well.
You can use RP brass with a little less hassle, but I don't mind at all because for me, the difference is worth it! As you say, the RP requires more case prep to get consistency including weighing, flash hole chamfering, etc. The Norma has to be turned, but to me, that is much easier than fussing with the RP; especially with the end result. This is not to say good results can not be attained with RP, and I have quite a bit that I will probably end up using sometime. Or, maybe I'll sell it to someone who likes it:D.......Rich

Would a remington model 7 work as a donor action in the 6.5 SS? I think it's a bit shorter than a remington model 700 SA.

Would a remington model 7 work as a donor action in the 6.5 SS? I think it's a bit shorter than a remington model 700 SA.

No, it is a little too short. It is lighter than the 700 too. I would stick with the SA or maybe even go with a Savage........Rich

I don't have exact data yet on increase in velocity between H1000 and RL 33 with the 160's, but I think it is safe to say 150' with equal pressure. That will change your mind in a hurry when you shoot a .3 at 3086' with a perfectly safe load:D Also, early minimal tests show good ES and I hear it is quite temp tolerant as well.
You can use RP brass with a little less hassle, but I don't mind at all because for me, the difference is worth it! As you say, the RP requires more case prep to get consistency including weighing, flash hole chamfering, etc. The Norma has to be turned, but to me, that is much easier than fussing with the RP; especially with the end result. This is not to say good results can not be attained with RP, and I have quite a bit that I will probably end up using sometime. Or, maybe I'll sell it to someone who likes it:D.......Rich

Are you saying that H1000 will deliver 150ish fps faster than the RL 33, or the other way around? Also, I'm assuming it was the RL 33 that you've found initially, to be fairly temperature stable. Thanks
______
Brent

Are you saying that H1000 will deliver 150ish fps faster than the RL 33, or the other way around? Also, I'm assuming it was the RL 33 that you've found initially, to be fairly temperature stable. Thanks
______
Brent

The RL33 gives the most velocity. H1000 has always been known to be stable and the early comments from the guys using RL33 seem to be good as well. I have heard if anything, it is more sensitive to cold than heat......Rich

How much shorter is the model 7 action? is the problem with the length of the action or the magazine box? I know they made the model 7 in 6.5 rem mag, the 350 RM, the 300 RSUM. It should be strong enough.

How much shorter is the model 7 action? is the problem with the length of the action or the magazine box? I know they made the model 7 in 6.5 rem mag, the 350 RM, the 300 RSUM. It should be strong enough.

My understanding is that the mag is even shorter than a 700 sa. If that is the case, it wouldn't be a good choice except to single feed. The action is 1/2" shorter than the 700 la...........Rich

Thanks Elk, I'll have to measure my action. I have a nice little model 7 in ss with the stock 20" barrel. Nice little gun for normal hunting but what a gun it could be in 6.5 ss with a 24" to 25" # 3 or #4 flutted. If not I'll do a 260 imp.