6.5 SAUM in BDL

I have a 6.5SS (uses .300 SAUM brass slightly shortened w. 40° shoulder) built on an R700 SA BDL. I opted fpr the center feed Wyatt's extended box in mine, and it feeds just fine.

I'm also interested in the set up of a BDL as well. My 6.5 SAUM has seekins dbm but for hunting, I'm just not much of a fan... I can work around it, but honestly don't want to

I have a 6.5SS (uses .300 SAUM brass slightly shortened w. 40° shoulder) built on an R700 SA BDL. I opted fpr the center feed Wyatt's extended box in mine, and it feeds just fine.
Can you give me a Wyatt box #?
Also, how many rounds does it hold?

GAP built me a 6.5 SAUM hunting rifle recently and I hated the center feed BDL they built me......very tough to get the ammo into the box, especially if you have a rail above the action. I called George at GAP and he told me "had you ordered directly from me, I would have talked you out of a BDL". That cartridge is extremely temperamental in a BDL. We ultimately sent the gun back to get a DBM installed. Very happy with that now, although it was something new to get used to, since all my previous rifles were BDL's too. If serious about a BDL, call George at GAP. I spoke to Wyatt and his follower didn't work well for me either. Save yourself the pain and $ (cost me $750 to trouble shoot, try different things, then change to a DBM) and go with a DBM in the first place. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
I'm looking to have GAP build me a 7saum is anyone running one of their custom BDL setups at the moment? and if so how does it feed? DBM isn't an option for me.

Yes, read above. It's very temperamental and very tough to feed the magazine, especially if you have a rail attached. I absolutely hated it and I am a huge fan of BDL's, just not on a SAUM (so I have found out the hard way). Call George at GAP and ask him his thoughts on a BDL for this caliber.

I'm looking to have GAP build me a 7saum is anyone running one of their custom BDL setups at the moment? and if so how does it feed? DBM isn't an option for me.

GAP just came out with a special bdl bottom metal for the 6.5 gap/saum catrideges. it allows over 3" coal I believe. I don't know if anyone is having any problems with it or not. I have a hawkins obermeyer bdl with wyatts box and follower and don't have problems with mine. The other option is running aics style alpha mags for their longer oal.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.