6.5 PRC Tikka custom

I've got a very lightly used lefty T3 in 300 WSM that's been begging for some upgrades and improvements. It's been sitting around the safe for a long time so I have to either let it go or do something with it.

Seeing this is really planting the seeds of another project. So assuming I keep it then the questions are -

1. Whether to leave it close to original configuration with Mountain Tactical Tikka improvements & upgraded parts (already have a nicely painted OEM stock for it here)

or

2. Go full house like the original poster did. I sure like what's shown here!

The 6.5 PRC does interest me. And I'd like to keep it at a reasonable weight for a good all around hunting rig.

Decisions, decisions......

I've got a very lightly used lefty T3 in 300 WSM that's been begging for some upgrades and improvements. It's been sitting around the safe for a long time so I have to either let it go or do something with it.

Seeing this is really planting the seeds of another project. So assuming I keep it then the questions are -

1. Whether to leave it close to original configuration with Mountain Tactical Tikka improvements & upgraded parts (already have a nicely painted OEM stock for it here)

or

2. Go full house like the original poster did. I sure like what's shown here!

The 6.5 PRC does interest me. And I'd like to keep it at a reasonable weight for a good all around hunting rig.

Decisions, decisions......

I have been down this road before as a lefty. Basically to get a 6.5 PRC from what you have now is a simple rebarrel at around $500. Then the stock is a trickier matter. The only lower priced stock options in left hand are Boyd's or to spend $550+ on a manners or mcmillan.

Or just say screw it and get a proof SENDERO lite at 26" and the new manners stock with tikka mini chassis.

I'm glad I could make it more confusing for you! Haha

Thanks a bunch......

Now I need to find a smith that'd be interested in putting the new barrel on for me.

If i decide to keep it???

Should just sell it and put the $$ into other projects, but the OP here has me mesmerized with the pic of his rifle.

I know the 6.5PRC probably wouldn't fit the 300 WSM mags, but on a Tikka, that's not an issue......

One more thing to think about.

don't forget about KRG when looking for a stock. not sure if you're into chassis systems, but theirs are pretty good and have some more cost effective options now with the BRAVO stock

Think I found the load for my PRC. Here's four consecutive groups with the 143gr ELD-X & RL26 (2 with 53.8grs & 2 with 54.3grs)

53.8grs 2897 fps (+4c)
54.3grs 2938 fps (+7c)

I'll load up a bunch at 53.8grs and see how it shoots way out there. Round count on the barrel is now 62, still haven't cleaned it

33992837_625916574429542_1453085524699906048_n.jpg

Think I found the load for my PRC. Here's four consecutive groups with the 143gr ELD-X & RL26 (2 with 53.8grs & 2 with 54.3grs)

53.8grs 2897 fps (+4c)
54.3grs 2938 fps (+7c)

I'll load up a bunch at 53.8grs and see how it shoots way out there. Round count on the barrel is now 62, still haven't cleaned it

33992837_625916574429542_1453085524699906048_n.jpg
RL26 is quite dirty. If you get a carbon ring in the throat it will ruin you brass from the pressure spike it will induce

RL26 is quite dirty. If you get a carbon ring in the throat it will ruin you brass from the pressure spike it will induce

Tell me more about your experiences? I've shot a lot of RL26 in a variety of cartridges and haven't encountered any issue

Tell me more about your experiences? I've shot a lot of RL26 in a variety of cartridges and haven't encountered any issue
I have abut an 1/8" of carbon build up on my muzzle after a match(100-120rds) I was at about 220 when I noticed I was getting a sticky bolt and pretty significant ejector marks. Looked with a borescope and had what looked like my lands were screwed up. After an over night soak with wipe out I could see It was greatly improved but not completely clean. Using yamaha ring freeI put an empty case in and closed the bolt. Put the rifle on its butt and filled the bore. 1/2 hr later I poured that out. I ran a nylon brush for 10ish strokes in the throat area. I ran a few patches to dry Then ran a patch of the Barnes CR10 to see what I would get it was fairly white ran a patch of hoppes9 to neutralize the cr10 then a dry patch Looked through the scope and it was clean. It took 3 shots to come back in. I shot WS2 coated in that rifle. It was a factory bore that I ran some of the tubbs throat maintenance in (20ish I'd have to look at what's left) but it wasn't a fine lapped bore.
I wouldn't have known if I didn't look. I also wouldn't have known if others hadn't posted about it happening to them.
After that I would do a few patches of ring free with the nylon brush dry it then the overnight wipeout. Never had that issue again.

Thanks for that info, I've used a couple lbs of RL26 in my 260 and have recently had some rather erratic results. sounds like it could be time for some good deep cleaning before the next trip out.

I now have 83 rounds down the bore, haven't cleaned it yet. Will probably do so at around 200 rounds, or earlier if accuracy goes south or I get any weird results. 300 yards this morning. 53.8grs RL26 / 2942 fps with the 143gr ELD-X

33027701_1895268367437494_4908486675400753152_n.jpg

How would that tikka be in short action with prc or should I stick with long action . Better stocks in sa

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.