6.5 PRC- Staball 6.5 powder loads and bushing sizes

Glenn Tullius

I know it's recommended for 6.5 CM, but could it be used in the PRC? Also, same caliber, if you go from a .289" bushing to a .287" bushing, will it increase velocity a little? My thought of course is a tighter neck tension might allow the pressure to build longer....just a thought. Comments anyone?

I know it's recommended for 6.5 CM, but could it be used in the PRC? Also, same caliber, if you go from a .289" bushing to a .287" bushing, will it increase velocity a little? My thought of course is a tighter neck tension might allow the pressure to build longer....just a thought. Comments anyone?
You can also use s factory crimp die as well. I'm not sure if the PRC, is listed in the StaBALL yet.

Staball sure shines in 6mm and 22 caliber cartridges. Been using it in a 6 creed and 243.

The StaBALL load data is sketchy at best at this point. I've tried it my 7-08, and not overly impressed. Its ok, very finicky near top, and sometimes peaks far below book max.
I'm gonna try it in my creed, but the accuracy I'm getting with Varget, and RL16, is going to be tough to beat. Gonna give it a go in .270.

The StaBALL load data is sketchy at best at this point. I've tried it my 7-08, and not overly impressed. Its ok, very finicky near top, and sometimes peaks far below book max.
I'm gonna try it in my creed, but the accuracy I'm getting with Varget, and RL16, is going to be tough to beat. Gonna give it a go in .270.
Let me know how it goes with the 270 if you will sometime. thanks

I tried it in my .300 WSM and .22-250. In the .300 I hit pressure 2 grs under book max (Hodgen). In the .22-250 I'm getting around 3700 fps (still below max) and very good accuracy and reasonable ES. I'd recommend starting well below listed max and carefully work up. In the .300, it shot lights out at the upper end but I was using Hornady brass and getting loose primer pockets.

I tried it in my .300 WSM and .22-250. In the .300 I hit pressure 2 grs under book max (Hodgen). In the .22-250 I'm getting around 3700 fps (still below max) and very good accuracy and reasonable ES. I'd recommend starting well below listed max and carefully work up. In the .300, it shot lights out at the upper end but I was using Hornady brass and getting loose primer pockets.
Same thing happened to me, and another member here.

You can also use s factory crimp die as well. I'm not sure if the PRC, is listed in the StaBALL yet.
I got high pressure signs even with reduced powder loads. Sticky bolt but primers were not showing symptoms. Can't recommend it.

I used it with the 123gr Absolute hammers and ADG brass, it worked pretty well with velocities getting into the 3300 range with a 24" barrel but that is the only combo I've tried in the PRC.

Do you have a particular bullet in mind?

I used the Hornady SST 143 gr. I have a Ruger 6.5 PRC Long Range Hunter (22" barrel) and I was trying to match their posted MV as written on the factory box. Even at 2750fps I was getting a sticky bolt and the cartridge base would show abrasion on extraction. Went back to RL-22 and had no problems. The 6.5 Staball burns much too fast for the PRC.

I use it in my son's 270 with 140 Berger classic hunters, nice tight groups and 3050 fps with no pressure issues. Don't remember the charge weight off hand.

Recent Posts