6.5 PRC for Extreme Long Range Hunting?

Well my bad for not knowing that the term (extreme range) has apparently been changed to be 800 yds and no longer means (beyond 1000 yds), as it was when it was introduced on this site.
That changes everything, but why don't we just agree to make everything over 200 long and everything over 500 extreme so as to be fair to everybody?

Well my bad for not knowing that the term (extreme range) has apparently been changed to be 800 yds and no longer means (beyond 1000 yds), as it was when it was introduced on this site.
That changes everything, but why don't we just agree to make everything over 200 long and everything over 500 extreme so as to be fair to everybody?

I am good with that - the 6.5 GAP/PRC and 6.5 280 Ackley will still perform at 1000 on deer sized game

Last edited:
Not what I call good terminal performance

Attachments

• EF640FD2-F8B0-43AC-A297-13A3FC4E3FA5.png
    EF640FD2-F8B0-43AC-A297-13A3FC4E3FA5.png
    221.5 KB · Views: 81
Really? The bullet is an ELDM which isn't made to act like a bonded or hunting bullet and it still killed the deer. Caption says it crushed the muley at 1242 yards. Happy hunter with a dead critter using a 6.5 at 1242 yards.
Discussion complete - point made - thanks

Really? The bullet is an ELDM which isn't made to act like a bonded or hunting bullet and it still killed the deer. Caption says it crushed the muley at 1242 yards. Happy hunter with a dead critter using a 6.5 at 1242 yards.
Discussion complete - point made - thanks
Doesn't say where it was hit. A 147 FMJ in the high shoulder would've done the same. Just messaged them to see if they will say

Last edited:
6.5 PRC velocity, energy, and trajectory based on Hornady values for BC and MV. Looks like 1k for pronghorn and deer and 650 for elk based on energy floor of 1000 and ~1500 ft/lb respectively.

Attachments

• B982C69D-601D-4138-9815-6CF83A3B0BA5.jpeg
    B982C69D-601D-4138-9815-6CF83A3B0BA5.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 51
I am good with that - the 6.5 GAP/PRC and 6.5 280 Ackley will still perform at 1000 on deer sized game
They will if you hit it just right, which is the whole issue with long range hunting. But talking about it is also far easier than always actually doing it. Hit it in the guts with a big bullet and the chances of recovering it are far better than hitting it with a smaller one.
But the bigger issue is that how many will pass on a shot they shouldn't take because of the distance factor with regard to the gun they have?
This past season I was at some friends camp for dinner. A guest there who is just getting involved in long range had missed a shot at a decent buck at 900 yds that day. I asked what gun he used and he replied my 7/08 Ackley. I questioned why, since I know they have a 300 ultra mag, and he said because I want to kill one with my 7/08 Ackley.
To which I said thats fine but why not 500 instead of 900?
I then got a lecture about all the new bullets available which apparently at least in his mind solves all that. Besides, it's only about 100 fps slower than a 280 AI, and the fact that he can hit rocks out to 1300 with it. See, I didn't even realize a 280 AI was an extreme range gun either, but thanks to the good folks at Hornady I guess it now is? lol

They will if you hit it just right, which is the whole issue with long range hunting. But talking about it is also far easier than always actually doing it. Hit it in the guts with a big bullet and the chances of recovering it are far better than hitting it with a smaller one.
But the bigger issue is that how many will pass on a shot they shouldn't take because of the distance factor with regard to the gun they have?
This past season I was at some friends camp for dinner. A guest there who is just getting involved in long range had missed a shot at a decent buck at 900 yds that day. I asked what gun he used and he replied my 7/08 Ackley. I questioned why, since I know they have a 300 ultra mag, and he said because I want to kill one with my 7/08 Ackley.
To which I said thats fine but why not 500 instead of 900?
I then got a lecture about all the new bullets available which apparently at least in his mind solves all that. Besides, it's only about 100 fps slower than a 280 AI, and the fact that he can hit rocks out to 1300 with it. See, I didn't even realize a 280 AI was an extreme range gun either, but thanks to the good folks at Hornady I guess it now is? lol
280 AI is pretty legit in all seriousness. It'll push a 175 to 2800. But I agree that just because it'll tag rocks in perfect conditions doesn't exactly make it a long range hammer.
It will carry 1000 ft/lb right to 1k assuming 4500 ft ASL and initial velocity of 2950 with a 162 ELD X

280 AI is pretty legit in all seriousness. It'll push a 175 to 2800. But I agree that just because it'll tag rocks in perfect conditions doesn't exactly make it a long range hammer.
It will carry 1000 ft/lb right to 1k assuming 4500 ft ASL and initial velocity of 2950 with a 162 ELD X
But again the big word (assuming). With 24" factory barrels in 7 Rem mag we get 2950 using 65 gr 4831 with a 162 Amax. Our altitude where we hunt averages less than 2000' elevation. Colder days have an impact also. So at least where we hunt, a 7 rem mag is no extreme range gun either, and I believe that the 280 ai is (almost) as good?
Granted a 26" barrel would help a little, but in the real world, very little. But, use the same bullet in an STW or a necked down 300 WBY, and see 400 fps more from a 28" barrel using 7828. And, even that dosent qualify as a (good) extreme range gun.
It all works because very very few animals are actually taken or even tried for at true extreme range distances. Which is why we never see much talk about extreme range kills here on the extreme site.

Extreme range is over 1000 yards as defined in the first post by Len stuck at the top of the forum.
I've shot a LOT of elk between 600-900 yards with a 6.5, all with a 6.5 SS shooting 140 gr + bullets around 3200 fps, elevation all 6500+ ft.
Typical impact velocity at 800 yard at my lowest elevation is 2200 fps with 1500 ftlbs of energy, energy is just for the guys who want to know as it means zippo to killing at long range!!
My by far favorite and best performing bullets are the 140 Berger, 150 Matrix and 160 Matrix with most kills with the 140 Berger, I've tried most all of them and these are the bullets that maximize the 6.5 lethal range from what I've seen inside dead elk.
I've shot one elk twice in these ranges and that was because I was testing a "hunting" bullet and the wound channels suck compared to a bullet that is better suited. All other elk died within feet of the hit regardless of hit behind the shoulder or through the shoulder, I have never had the Berger 140 fail to penetrate an elk shoulder, one of the few below 200 gr 30 cal I have seen this.
I will shoot an elk farther than I will a deer, elk open bullets better than deer do and since that is what kills at long range I've found it works well, elk will also stand there wondering what hit them too allowing follow up shots as well better than a lot of deer.

One thing guys have to realize is your using a 6.5 to have a low recoiling, precision shooting rifle and the best ballistics that is very shootable with barrel life, inside that criteria, you better have your stuff wired TIGHT beyond 800 yards, beyond 1000 is a very, very narrow window even at my altitude. Targets at a 1000+ are not a challenge but shooting game is a whole different ball game.
I'm only capable of shooting game at 800+ with my 6.5 SS if I'm shooting it a lot and I'm on top of my game, muscle memory is established with the rifle and the wind drift is almost instinctive, confidence in shot placement is within a couple inches, I'm not talking hitting the front half of an elk I'm talking targeting the aorta just above the heart or neck, broadside or quartering away shots only. On paper at a 1000 yards when I'm on this gun a lot and I'm wired it's consistent 3.5 inch gun and will shoot smaller when I'm watching my tracking for three shots, never shot more than three.

This is not to be argumentative just to help those who have little to no actual data for this kind of hunting or shot with this cal and with the ballistics provided should give a guy an idea of what's realistic.

Last edited:
Extreme range is over 1000 yards as defined in the first post by Len stuck at the top of the forum.
I've shot a LOT of elk between 600-900 yards with a 6.5, all with a 6.5 SS shooting 140 gr + bullets around 3200 fps, elevation all 6500+ ft.
Typical impact velocity at 800 yard at my lowest elevation is 2200 fps with 1500 ftlbs of energy, energy is just for the guys who want to know as it means zippo to killing at long range!!
My by far favorite and best performing bullets are the 140 Berger, 150 Matrix and 160 Matrix with most kills with the 140 Berger, I've tried most all of them and these are the bullets that maximize the 6.5 lethal range from what I've seen inside dead elk.
I've shot one elk twice in these ranges and that was because I was testing a "hunting" bullet and the wound channels suck compared to a bullet that is better suited. All other elk died within feet of the hit regardless of hit behind the shoulder or through the shoulder, I have never had the Berger 140 fail to penetrate an elk shoulder, one of the few below 200 gr 30 cal I have seen this.
I will shoot an elk farther than I will a deer, elk open bullets better than deer do and since that is what kills at long range I've found it works well, elk will also stand there wondering what hit them too allowing follow up shots as well better than a lot of deer.

One thing guys have to realize is your using a 6.5 to have a low recoiling, precision shooting rifle and the best ballistics that is very shootable with barrel life, inside that criteria, you better have your stuff wired TIGHT beyond 800 yards, beyond 1000 is a very, very narrow window even at my altitude. Targets at a 1000+ are not a challenge but shooting game is a whole different ball game.
I'm only capable of shooting game at 800+ with my 6.5 SS if I'm shooting it a lot and I'm on top of my game, muscle memory is established with the rifle and the wind drift is almost instinctive, confidence in shot placement is within a couple inches, I'm not talking hitting the front half of an elk I'm talking targeting the aorta just above the heart or neck, broadside or quartering away shots only. On paper at a 1000 yards when I'm on this gun a lot and I'm wired it's consistent 3.5 inch gun and will shoot smaller when I'm watching my tracking for three shots, never shot more than three.

This is not to be argumentative just to help those who have little to no actual data for this kind of hunting or shot with this cal and with the ballistics provided should give a guy and idea of what's realistic.

Very nice! Thanks.

This is not to be argumentative just to help those who have little to no actual data for this kind of hunting or shot with this cal and with the ballistics provided should give a guy an idea of what's realistic.
I was just wondering if you use 140 vid hunting or elite hunters? Sounds like you have had great performance with what you are using.

So Bigngreen im not doubting any of what you said.
But lets get right to the bottom line here.
Would you recommend a 6.5 cartridge for (anybody)
seeking to hunt animals at extreme distances as you described them to be? Assuming of coarse they were capable shooters.

So Bigngreen im not doubting any of what you said.
But lets get right to the bottom line here.
Would you recommend a 6.5 cartridge for (anybody)
seeking to hunt animals at extreme distances as you described them to be? Assuming of coarse they were capable shooters.

Bottom line the window is very, very narrow where guys with a lot of experience will even take an animal beyond 1000 yards but I promise you it's not because it's their ideal, it's just they recognize they have a condition for it.
Probably the best guy I know with a 6.5 who will cross 1000 by a large margin spends a LOT of time with his equipment, drives many miles through the season to shoot the actual hunting spots, camps for days waiting for a condition to shoot just practice shots. The amount of work and knowledge he has for each shot is a book! If condition don't show he packs it up or pulls a big 338!! He didn't just roll down to Cabelas and by the hottest 6.5 and goes and rolls game over 1000 with it!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.