6.5 Creedmore or .308 Win. ?

You have the option to up the performance with Rl 26 in it. You can get a bit with 100v or RL 17 in the 308 but the increase isn't as much and with established loads n data idk if it would be worth the effort due to temp stability.

What kind of temperature sensitivity are you seeing with the RE-26? I kinda assumed with all the extra velocity that it was double based and therefore temp sensitive...

What kind of temperature sensitivity are you seeing with the RE-26? I kinda assumed with all the extra velocity that it was double based and therefore temp sensitive...
I haven't shot it above 30 degrees yet. I tried a ladder last fall in my 270 with 140's then my mom got sick and I just haven't had any time. I have very little experience with it but what I have I really like.

morning, take the 7x08, neck down to 6.5x08 AI. best of both worlds.
the 6.5 creed is close to a .308. creed case is smaller. then again just
6.5 on steroids!! GBOT TUM
Why not just build a .260 AI... Same thing you just described, but reamers and dies are already readily available. ;)

I'm going to visit this subject very soon. I have a 40* data point at 2770 across my Magneto speed with RL26 in my CM. The temps will soon be in the negatives up here and I'll get another data point there. I'll let the rifle and the ammunition soak a good bit in the cold before I fire them to firm up the data.

If it's anything like my 300 WSM, it'll be very stable. The 300 WSM shifted 7 fps across a 53* temp swing.

Last edited:
Im starting to lean toward the 6.5. Reason being i have a 3006, 300 wsm and 2 7RM's so i have everything the 308 can do beat. On my smaller guns i only have a 6.8 spc ll which is only good energy wise to about 350yds. So the 6.5 could extend that out a lot for deer and varmints along with nice target shooting.
I've shot primarily 7mm STW for the last 25 years but also quite a bit of .300wm and .300 Rum.

After I bought my .260 AR I was truly impressed with it at med/long range on coyotes and smaller game but never shot anything bigger with it past 300yds or so.

A couple of years ago I bought the Gen 2 and Ruger FTW's just to compare the two and to have something lighter and lower recoil for my little wife to shoot occasionally.

Once I dedicated myself to shooting the .260 pretty well exclusively for 2 years I really got a chance to see it's potential and I've been pretty well stunned with the results.

With the right bullet, right rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to stretch out well beyond 700yds on deer or 500 on hogs and I've been very successful doing both.

Admittedly I'm probably more careful with bullet placement shooting the .260's than with the bigger, more powerful calibers but I've dropped everything I've shot with it stone dead in their tracks so far and that encompasses more than thirty big hogs and a couple of dozen deer.

As much as I like to shoot and as often as I do so, going to the .260 may be the smartest move I've made in firearms in a couple of decades.

Not too fond of either the .308 or the CM. Seems I've always had a .300WinMag so I see no point in just spinning my wheels with a slower 30 cal. The WinMag has more speed, energy and just as accurate at any range. Don't care that it uses more powder and recoil is manageable.
I had a 6.5-284 Norma long before the CM round came out. I was already impressed with what a long 26 caliber bullet could do. It's not marketed as the latest, greatest and there's not factory ammo in every WalMart but I haven't bought the stuff in 35 years (excluding .22RF) anyway. It's not a barrel burner for the average shooter/hunter. Keep it cool and clean and you will experience a long and accurate barrel life.
I'm not a naysayer or a kill-joy but I don't usually follow the crowd(s) and tend to think and do on my own. If you get 15 different rifles, in 15 different calibers, you still don't have them all! :) JohnnyK.

Sounds like RE 26 is the fastest powder. Ive had great luck with berger classic hunters in my 7mmRM. Ill likely try some of the bergers. And maybe some ELDx.

Sounds like RE 26 is the fastest powder. Ive had great luck with berger classic hunters in my 7mmRM. Ill likely try some of the bergers. And maybe some ELDx.
Rl-26 is amazing stuff in the creed. My accuracy load with rl-26 runs 2945 with 140s
20170804_192011.jpg
. I ran it up to 3014 but ran out of room in the case. Even at 3014 it still shot .3s

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.