6.5 Creedmoor: Maximum Lethal Range for Whitetail

Ran some simulations courtesy of MERC - Maximum Effective Range Calculator. I'm biased of course, but highly recommend you try it out for yourself!

Simulations used 1MOA rifle, 10 ± 3 mph crosswind shifting ± 30°, ± 5 yards range uncertainty, and muzzle velocity SD of 10 fps. I used velocities from MidwayUSA's product pages for the trajectory inputs. The target size for the hit probabilities is 9" in diameter.

Federal Premium 130 Terminal Ascent @ 2825 fps
View attachment 212267

Nosler Trophy Grade 129 Accubond Long Range @ 2850 fps
View attachment 212268

Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X @ 2700 fps
View attachment 212269

Hope that helps. As mentioned, to really see what variables affect each load, download a copy of MERC for yourself and play around with target sizes, uncertainties, and ranges.
This is a REALLY important distinction, and where most Creedmoor supporters and haters get tripped up.

On one hand there is plenty of data out there showing that with proper shot placement, premium hunting bullets such as the 143gr ELD-X will reliably expand and kill down to 1600fps or so. For my handloads at the places I usually hunt, that means the maximum lethal range based on bullet performance alone extends out past 1000yds, if we use the 1000 ftlbs energy threshold that brings it back to around 850-900 or so.

In the real world though, you cant hold everything else in a vacuum, so you have to account for things like wind and shooter error. The 80% hit probability noted above is honestly a little low (needs to be nearly 100% when we are talking about living animals), but its a good line in the sand where someone needs to really stop and consider whether its worth trying to set up a better shot with higher probability.

Me personally? I have trained and gotten myself to the point that I can reliably lay out my shooting mat, get on my rifle, and make consistent cold bore shots on a 10" gong that I have set up at 800yds on a piece of land I hunt regularly. When I say consistent in the context of hunting, I mean I can do this greater than 90% of the time in varying conditions. With that level of consistency, I know I can hit the animal in the vitals, and I know the bullet will do its job when it gets there.

Ran some simulations courtesy of MERC - Maximum Effective Range Calculator. I'm biased of course, but highly recommend you try it out for yourself!

Simulations used 1MOA rifle, 10 ± 3 mph crosswind shifting ± 30°, ± 5 yards range uncertainty, and muzzle velocity SD of 10 fps. I used velocities from MidwayUSA's product pages for the trajectory inputs. The target size for the hit probabilities is 9" in diameter.

Federal Premium 130 Terminal Ascent @ 2825 fps
View attachment 212267

Nosler Trophy Grade 129 Accubond Long Range @ 2850 fps
View attachment 212268

Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X @ 2700 fps
View attachment 212269

Hope that helps. As mentioned, to really see what variables affect each load, download a copy of MERC for yourself and play around with target sizes, uncertainties, and ranges.
I like these graphs. They illustrate my thought on the subject. 500 to 700 yards with a creedmore is about max depending on bullet selection. I still tend to hold to the 1000-1200 ft lbs rule and 1600-1800 fps. Beyond 700 with any caliber on the average whitetail might become an ethics question. Unlike shooting praise dogs or rats at the dump for fun to controll populations or shooting something the size of an muledeer, elk or larger a whitetail presents a small kill zone 7-8 inches meaning beyond 700 you need a 1/2 moa gun. Another consideration is time in flight which none of these graphs show. Beyond 700 yards and the bullet is in the air for more than a second. We did some slow motion video of whitetail jumping string on bow hunters. They didn't actually jump it but rather ducked under it in less than a second at ranges under 15 yards. A 7 inch kill zone with more than a second to decide to move could end up being a bad situation and a long day of tracking a wounded animal. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. For me 600 yards is the max on whitetail, beyond that it just isn't worth the risk. Imho the 270 and 6.5 creedmore are just about perfect for that. Just my thoughts.

As a California resident, I'm restricted to lead free ammo. What is your experience with minimum speeds to open one of the monolithic bullets? What does this do to your maximum range estimations?

I've spent the past couple days browsing forums on this very topic. Based off what I read 500-600 yards is going to be the max distance many would feel the 6.5 Creedmoor with the proper bullet can reliably take down a whitetail.

I just got a Tikka T3x in 6.5 with a Leupold Mark5 HD 3.6-18X44 scope. I am going to try 3 different factory loads: Federal Terminal Ascent 130 grain, Nosler Accubond Long Range 129 grain and Hornady Precision Hunter 143 grain ELD-X. All three are softer construction designed to expand at long range.

With the proper bullet for long range terminal performance, what do you folks think the max lethal range a 6.5 Creedmoor could be on whitetail?
Don't forget to include altitude in your calculations. It makes a big difference in sustained velocity/energy on those long pokes!

that's what I thought as well, it was a couple years back now when I asked them, perhaps they've changed their ways..........as one of my best friends says "pressure equals velocity" there's not free lunch.

When I hear of someone running a CM case @ 284 cases speeds it only reeks of pressure....everyone has their own choices to make
What's crazy is you run out of case capacity with RL26 before you hit pressure. I had the 143 ELDX a little over 3000 fps but it's accuracy node is a 2950 fps (just like the 6.5-284). I may sell my 6.5-284 since I'm only getting 50 fps more than the Creed now.

As a California resident, I'm restricted to lead free ammo. What is your experience with minimum speeds to open one of the monolithic bullets? What does this do to your maximum range estimations?
If using Barnes, you really need velocity. Look at Hammer Bullets. They are absolutely devastating on game. I load them in 7 different cartridges now and they are my go to hunting bullet.

Doug--I've been shooting some of the 117 Hammers in my NULA .270, they're running along at just under 3300. Thinking of using them for fall bear here. Then for elk and deer in November. That's of course long as I can bench my 22/250 long enough....seriously have you shot much for game with the Hammers? Especially in the 400-700 ranges?

The Hornady Precision Hunter loads are a great Hunting load. However, in 6.5 CM I've had them not expand at 400 yards. I stepped up to 6.5 PRC in all my deer rifles and the extra velocity seems to make a noticeable difference. So i would go with a different bullet If I planned on a 500 yard shot with 6.5 CM.

Doug--I've been shooting some of the 117 Hammers in my NULA .270, they're running along at just under 3300. Thinking of using them for fall bear here. Then for elk and deer in November. That's of course long as I can bench my 22/250 long enough....seriously have you shot much for game with the Hammers? Especially in the 400-700 ranges?
The mountain goat in my avatar was taken with a 213gr Hammer out of my 338 Lapua (3250 fps). Had to put it through his shoulder due to the position he was in. Bullet broke both shoulders and had a 1.5-2" exit wound and the vitals were liquified. The shot was only 208 yards, but the bullet performed flawlessly. I've shot quite a few south Texas whitetails and hog in the 200-300 yard range (124gr Hammer in my 6.5-284 at 3230 fps). I did shoot a hog at a little over 400 yards with my 7 STW and the 143 gr Hammer at 3530 fps. He dropped where he was standing. Velocity is your friend with any mono and it really negates a lot of the lower BC in the Hammers. Steve Davis says they are working on a new bullet called the Absolute Hammer. They are getting a 100-200 fps increase in velocity over their current similar weight bullets

Interesting thanks, looking foreward to seeing what becomes of that bullet.

Total side note, but the rounds we've found to put the goats down quickest, hence from wondering off into space are year in and year out the good old Swift and 22/250.........aren't I the trouble maker:)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.