6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC Enough/Effective for Elk?

A .264 dia. 140 grain Nosler Partition with a realistic muzzle velocity of 2900 FPS has 1268 Ft Lbs of energy at 500 yards (6.5 PRC)
A .338 dia. 250 grain Nosler Partition with a realistic muzzle velocity of 2900 FPS has 2200 Ft Lbs of energy at 500 yards (338 RUM)
☝️ quoted from post #114

If you're happy with 1200ft pounds out of a 6.5cm that's your own choice!

I believe others have stated they've seen hunters with less than desirable shooting habits/systems and don't hunt with them anymore.

A .264 dia. 140 grain Nosler Partition with a realistic muzzle velocity of 2900 FPS has 1268 Ft Lbs of energy at 500 yards (6.5 PRC)
A .338 dia. 250 grain Nosler Partition with a realistic muzzle velocity of 2900 FPS has 2200 Ft Lbs of energy at 500 yards (338 RUM)
☝️ quoted from post #114

If you're happy with 1200ft pounds out of a 6.5cm that's your own choice! But like others have stated you won't be hunting with me anymore. As I've seen that play out.
Good luck to you my freezer's seen it play out as well with no problems.

No luck needed just the right amount of muzzle velocity and bullet weight (i.e. energy) and a little due diligence in making good shots and my freezers lookin fine ol son. Thanks for the concern.

I'd be curious to know from the "bigger is the only way to go" crowd, how many elk they've killed, and if they've ever used any 6.5 on any animals.

How come every thread goes off the rails anymore and turns into a debate that's not related to what the man is asking for advice for. The man asked about a creed/ prc being enough to harvest elk. The answer is yes it effectively does work, as well as a ton of other good rounds. If I was giving advice to a brand new elk hunter I'd tell them to get a cartridge that shoots flat and does not get blown around too much and go practice. The winds are the most unpredictable of all. Shot placement trumps all. Best wishes.

So I am curious what is being said by going bigger. Do you all mean bigger case capacity. There is no arguing that bigger is better in most all things. A 338 RUM is no comparison to a 6.5 PRC, but for the ranges that are effective for the PRC, the numbers below are not enough to make me think I need to step up to a RUM for a 500 yard shot.

However, comparing similar case capacities:

6.5 PRC 140gr Berger 2938 FPS start= @ 500 yards 2224 FPS, 1538 Ft#, 7.9 MOA drift

300 WSM 175gr Berger 2900 FPS start= @ 500 yards 2089 FPS, 1696 Ft#, 8.7 MOA drift

338 (Sherman, Mega, 338-300 WSM, whatever for case comparision) 250gr Berger 2800 FPS start= @500 yards 2187 FPS 2655 Ft#, 8.6 MOA drift.

I believe big holes make empty souls, but energy is not advertised as a minimum from bullet manufacturers. If you cut tissue enough on the inside, they gonna die.

I love my 338 Lapua, but honestly do not shoot it as well as the 6.5 PRC.

Energy is what's doing all the work boss. Energy is not just "cutting tissue" it creating hydro shock. You ever see 2000ft pounds hit something in slow motion? That's energy. I'm not saying everyone needs 2000ft pounds but this energy some people dismiss is what's actually doing all the work. Making their animals not alive no mo!!!! And all I'm saying is I'd rather have more of it than the CM shooters. That's all that's happening here.

I thought the bullet severing blood vessels and arteries is what is doing the work. All that gelatin bounces right back to original shape after flopping all around (similar to the soft tissue in the body), except that itty bitty little black line that is disrupted due to bullet function...

Touche. But why are we acting like a bullet at rest is enough. I dont believe bullet design and placement is enough. Anything that does any killing needs force to do so. It can't sever arteries, creat shock or kill anything without energy. Call it whatever you want, call it force. Like I said, I'd prefer more of that than a CM can provide at longer ranges. It's a simple concept that I believe is relevant to the OP. Take a baseball bat to the ribs and tell me that since your soft tissue bounced back that it isn't gonna leave you laying on the ground in writhing pain.

I did...a bigger bow with a heavier arrow and stronger broadhead did fix that problem haha. Now 85 pounds with a 650 grain arrow with a single bevel 175 up front and 24% FOC blows right through a front shoulder!!!

I like to base my weapon systems on worst case scenarios. If I make a less than desirable shot than what is it going to take make that shot as lethal as possible? A 6.5 bullet isn't ranking high on the list.

regardless of the shot placement, a larger, heavier projectile (given similar velocity) is going to carry more energy. A hit anywhere on an animal with a larger, heavier projectile is going to hit with more energy than a hit anywhere with a smaller, lighter projectile.
I may be missing your point, but these 2 statements read as
"more energy will make up for a less than ideal shot placement."

Pain is one thing, and no, no bat for me thanks 🤣but the actual functional affects of cutting is what leads to death.

Now how fast and efficient, as I said before, I do like big holes, but that is more for me and blood trails. Given the elk hunt of a lifetime, taking a PRC, if that is all I have, and the other option is not going, I am going with the PRC or Creedmoor.

OP, watch the videos on youtube of people shooting/killing elk with a 6.5 anything...then you decide...I have lately. Some bang flop, some run around for a bit. So I am in the camp of maybe bringing a larger caliber bullet...but I am not convinced it is needed. But what do I know...

I may be missing your point, but these 2 statements read as
"more energy will make up for a less than ideal shot placement."
With a bow yes. You can punch through shoulders. You're interpretation is incorrect with a rifle. You drew inference yourself. The statement says my opinion as I've maintained, bigger boom more energy. Simple as that. It cannot be argued