5000 FPS Pursuit, 18gr Dead Blow Hammer

It seems you can get away with psycho velocity more readily with small and ultra small bores both in regards to barrel life and accuracy with that crazy high RPM range. @scope-eye, a real speed freak with larger bore rifles, shared that observation from his experience with me a while ago, regarding RPMs and accuracy. I love my 120 tac tx at 4050 fps but out of my 10 twist they just do not shoot anywhere close to as right as anything over 180 grains an after further experimenting I think that's just something I accept, bigger bores (as in over 25 cal or so for our purposes here) don't tolerate such tremendous "overstabilization" as well as the varmint calibers do. As for barrel life…even if it's wickedly overbore the fact is the sheer volume of powder being burned is still much less than the notorious barrel eaters like .30-378, 28 Nosler, etc.

What I'm really curious about is barrel FOULING. maybe the hammer bullets grooves help with that but I've heard 17s in general require very frequent cleaning and copper removal.

My take is that if you are shooting a light grain bullet " under 40gr" at High RPM there is not enough "Meat" or bullet weight to cause to much disruption if there are imperfections in the bullet, rifling or what ever. On they other hand a 150gr bulllet for example has a lot more material and if there is a flaw they RPM will find it way before it reaches it's peak RPM.

Dean

0D4AD105-D8B0-481F-BE54-D9F3C0CC17BF_1_201_a.jpeg
For those interested
17 Stinger - Custom Caliber Mad Dog Weapon System
Currently not listed on web-site. Contact Bruce Finnegan (https://maddogweapons.com/contact/)
It's basically a 17RemAI.

Caliber .17 Cal

Bullet - 18gr Dead Blow Hammer
(Do not use cup and core bullets at these velocities. They have been known to vaporize in the upper 4000 FPS. Hammer Bullets solid copper will not shred or melt at 5000 FPS range).

Parent Case - 223
I'll do a video on all thes steps. Bruce makes 3 dies for the build and a Hornady 17 Seater die. I also advice a .223 die.

Twist Rate - 1:9
He will turn to your specs but 1:9 is what Bruce typically uses.
Hammer Bullets 17cal TR Specs below
18 DBH = 1.9
19gr HH = 1.925
21gr HH = 1.950

Barrel - McGowen

Barrel Length - 27"
Bruce tyipically builds 18-24" but if you beg and if he has he will make longer.

Barrel Profile - Bull
.936 Gas Block

Gas Tube - Rifle Length

Upper Receiver - AR15

Hand Guard - Hontac 19"
(AR15 Handguard - Longest one I could find in the Market Made USA).

Lower Receiver - 17Design
(Joe Bob Outfitters - Made in Oklahoma)

BCG & Bolt Face - Standard .223

Lower Parts - CMC
(Joe Bob Outfitters)

Trigger - CMC 2.5#
(Joe Bob Outfitters)

Trigger Guard - Magpul
(Joe Bob Outfitters)

Stock - Strike Industries Modular
(Joe Bob Outfitters)

Buffer Tube - Standard

Buffer Weight - 3.0oz (Standard)

Other Mandatory Tools
Solid Precision Trimmer - Removing close to .080" off case.
Hornady Head Space Guage, .330 Adapter
Annealer
Patience - Forming these cases will test your patience!!! I'll do a full video of make.
17 Cal Funnel (I had to trim shoulder avoid spillage - I will show later).
17 Cal Cleaning Rod
17 Cal Bore Snake (Run it soaked every 10 rounds)

If you questions ask below.

I'm sure I will think of other things but I gotta go cook some bacon now!!!

I assume in forming your moving the shoulder forward on the standard 17 rem, forcing you to make a false shoulder? Otherwise if they were designed like most of the improved cartridges it would just be a crush fit on the parent case, fireform and go type process. It also appeared cases weren't ejecting, did you shut your gas block off for fire forming?

I assume in forming your moving the shoulder forward on the standard 17 rem, forcing you to make a false shoulder? Otherwise if they were designed like most of the improved cartridges it would just be a crush fit on the parent case, fireform and go type process.
Trim neck, push shoulder down, step neck down from .223 to .20, anneal, step neck down from .20 to .17, fire form (blow shoulder up to chamber. Not sure what false shoulder means.

It also appeared cases weren't ejecting, did you shut your gas block off for fire forming?
Correct I did not have gas tube installed. I don't need these cases flying away.

Wasps and murder hornets and other stinging bugs seem obvious…do something ridiculous and incomprehensible. Yellow with black
Stripes can only mean one thing…the .17 jaundice-Zebra!