458 SoCom AR

I've also run one for years without issue. I mostly run heavy subsonics, 410 to 500gr. Like others have said, a big bore upper is needed and an adjustable gas port helps with keeping brass nearby. I also use a brass catcher. One advantage with the SOCOM is a standard mag holds 10 rounds. If one is so inclined, one can install a floor plate on a 30 round magazine that says 458 SOCOM to claim that it is a 10 round magazine.

I've also run one for years without issue. I mostly run heavy subsonics, 410 to 500gr. Like others have said, a big bore upper is needed and an adjustable gas port helps with keeping brass nearby. I also use a brass catcher. One advantage with the SOCOM is a standard mag holds 10 rounds. If one is so inclined, one can install a floor plate on a 30 round magazine that says 458 SOCOM to claim that it is a 10 round magazine.

I don't think he is dead set on 458 socom, so maybe we will look more at Bushmaster too.

I had heard 450 bushmaster was hard on magazines vs socom.
I've put several hundred rounds through mine with no magazine issues. I have modified magazines with new followers, but I think that the over-the-counter magazines simply work better. Both the 5 and 7 round magazines are available. BTW, it is a real hammer on white tails using Hornady Black with 250 grain FTX bullets. You can buy this or load your own. If you do the load you will need to crimp the case.

I've put several hundred rounds through mine with no magazine issues. I have modified magazines with new followers, but I think that the over-the-counter magazines simply work better. Both the 5 and 7 round magazines are available. BTW, it is a real hammer on white tails using Hornady Black with 250 grain FTX bullets. You can buy this or load your own. If you do the load you will need to crimp the case.

Another great bullet is Hornady's 250 MonoFlex bullet. My all-time favorite bullet for hunting is the Barnes 300gr TTSX bullet, which was designed for 458 SOCOM velocities according to Barnes.

Had one for many years, don't use it much any more. RRA upper I bought during a time when they "were gonna ban assault rifles" and RRA must have been running their tooling too long. Chamber looked like coarse sandpaper. I found a purpose built bolt, not one of the reamed out 5.56 ones. Got the correct heavy recoil springs and a hydraulic buffer for it. Handloaded some 450 SOCOM-designed 300 grain solid coppers. Got a load worked up.
Took it to the deer lease for its maiden voyage, zeroed it, and then when the hogs showed up it went "click". Again and again, it went "click". And I went "F***", every time. And the hogs ran off.
Took it apart all the way. Firing pin would poke out, but was not hitting the primer hard/deep enough. Then when I was messing with it, a tiny bit of brass fell out of the bolt. It had been scraped off a cartridge by the rough chamber, and fallen through the firing pin hole, then got jammed up against the front of the bolt by the firing pin. Just enough interference that the pin would stick out of the hole, but not enough to set off the primer.
Needless to say, my friends named it "Click-F***". I polished the chamber a bit and it stopped scarring the brass. With 1000 ft-lbs more energy than a 454 Casull, it is a great short range boar buster, or even a bear gun, as the 405 grain commercial load is rated at 1600 fps. That is like 300 fps faster than the original 45-70s, and equal to Remington's "modern" 405 grain load out of a 24 inch barrel. With the heavy springs and hydro buffer it was easy to shoot.

Has anyone built one? My son has a dream of a big bore AR. What are the things I need to know if any?
I built a .458 SOCOM nearly five years ago, and it has not given me the first problem. I used a RRA lower and a Bear Creek Armory upper with the 18" heavy stainless barrel. I get sub MOA three shot groups using the Barnes 300gr TTSX bullet and a 1x8 FFP scope. And my SilencerCo Osprey 45 works great with the super heavy Subsonics. I've not had the chance to shoot hogs with it, (thankfully we don't have them around Nashville) but within 100 yards or so that thing knocks a whitetail down with real authority.

I've had the 458S for about 10 years I guess. Lots of good information offered here but the best piece is to go with Tromix if he goes with the 458. RRA would be a safe bet if he finds a good deal on one but there were some chamber issues with RRA maybe 7-8 years ago. Worn reamers as I recall cutting poor chambers so keep that in mind if he goes used. Either the 458 or the 450 will put a big hole in whatever he chooses but the key for me was an actual shoulder for head spacing and tons of bullet choices that will work within the velocity ranges of the 458S. The BM has lots of choices too but may of them will not be ideal at the speeds it can run them at. Mostly pistol bullets or at least they were back when I got my big bore. Good luck to him, they are a ton of fun to shoot BTW!

Has anyone built one? My son has a dream of a big bore AR. What are the things I need to know if any?
I had the same dream...
I purchased an complete upper in 450BM don't remember who's many years ago and it sat in the locker so I decided to put it on a dedicated AR-15 lower. First thing was to change out bolt spring to a AR-10 bolt spring and that changed everything on how it felt.
Shot a deer (2023) in Illinois w/it, we can use straight wall now. Used Rem 260gr Accutip factory ammo, DRT!!! Now I have some Hammer bullets to test ,it all looks good!!
Leupold sitting on top set up for the 450BM.

We will probably do an AR10 someday too for something else he dreams up. We did his first build in 6mm ARC last year and it was great. Now he wants a big bore AR15. We have discussed a AR10 in 7mm08 and other calibers.
I have a 7-08 AR, but haven't tightened up the build or have any ammo. Well, time to get some reloading done.

So I've had one for many many years. Over ten years now. I also have the 450, had the beowolf .
The 458 is the best of the bunch for sure followed by 450 and lastly beowolf.

Like others said buy good parts and have no issues. The .458 is a great round and much better bullets than the 450. I use the cutting edge bullets 259gr and 300gr both are fantastic. I'm working on some subs this year and a 46 hybrid.

Recent Posts