.45-70 Grizz Defense

You take good care of that horse. It's a life saver for sure!!!!??
He's a hoot……that's actually his name, big Hoot. He has been On a lot of good hunts.
60389FB0-DDB8-4B1D-955D-E0277525980D.jpeg

Horses will see and hear things way before a human. That's a good thing. 😉
I've been riding along minding my own business when all of the sudden I was no longer seated on a horse but in a pile on the ground, grizzly had killed a moose and covered it up and rode right into it, it was a short walk to the trailer so over all came out good.

Rest assured. There's not a grizzly bear on the planet that will walk or charge through a properly loaded 45-70 with hard cast bullets 350 grains and up at 1900-2000 fps. They kill on one end and darn near cripple on the other. The recoil is fierce without a mercury tube or muzzle brake. No plastic tips or softpoints please.

Brian Pierce has used them in Africa on Cape Buffalo with NO problems. These are Ruger #1's or Browning 1895 underlever guns. Not sure about the Marlin action with these stiff loads, but the bear will lose all interest in this world with a center mass hit with one of these.
1972 and newer marlins is what the box says. shot my first Brn. Black bear last season it did'nt go 10 feet.

I've been riding along minding my own business when all of the sudden I was no longer seated on a horse but in a pile on the ground, grizzly had killed a moose and covered it up and rode right into it, it was a short walk to the trailer so over all came out good.
Wow ! Glad no bear on the moose ! About 10 years ago I turned off the South Fork to drive up Aldrige Drainage road. Ihadn't gone 100 yds. when a sow griz and 2 cubs went flying by me to the road and crossed it. I watched them run down almost to the river. Maybe .75 mile. Stopped and the two cubs started wrestling with each other. I drove up about 1.5 mi. and parked. Hunted. Came back to truck and started driving back out. In a little ways I looked at a magpie sitting on a branch on the ground. I thought it looked like an antler. Used binos and it was. About 100 yds from the dirt road I was on. Didn't see it on way up but was just getting light. Stick with me. Almost done with story. I walked over to it and it was a nice 4x5 buck. The hind qtrs and back straps eaten. Dirt and sage clawed up.over it and bear poop all over. The hair on my neck stood up. I went back to truck and got rifle and saw to cut antlers off. I got back to buck and set rifle down with bipod out. Started cutting . Stop. Look around. Repeating. Then I saw the truck that was parked not far from me when I drove out. He was driving out. I waved for him to come here.i told him hold my rifle while I saw. He turn around and round watching. He was freaked out. Was from N.C. I got them off and told him it was the sow and two cubs that blew by me on way in. Thanked him and we took off. I stopped at the game check station and asked if it was legal to cut the antlers off a grizzly kill on Nat. Forest. He said yes but how much was eaten ? Told him. He said I'd wait one more day until they finish it. I said okay. Lol ! I still wonder if the sow actually killed it or somebody shot it and didn't find or what. It was laying in a flat area. No drag marks around it.

To fully understand your question…..will you be hunting only in "dense timber" or "dense grizzly" populations?

The reason I ask, if "always" in dense timber/cover…..the 45-70 is a good logical choice!

If the hunt will be in mixed country (dense and open) all in the same day of hunting…..the 45-70 may seriously limit your opportunities when in open country!

Unless your "other" elk rifle is of small caliber with relatively "fragile" bullets……one "all purpose" rifle/cartridge/bullet may be a better option! JMO memtb
Wish I could find those rounds around here haha
Bear spray is overrated, and you need to be up close when you use it. I would use Garrett's 45-70+P Hammerheads at 420gr (kicks like a mule but effective).

I like that weapon!! Dont need one but want one. Are you satisfied with the quality??
I've got a decent assortment of lever guns. Winchester pre and post 1964, JM Marlins, late rem Marlins, browning 92's, Rossi etc. I just like lever guns. This Ruger Marlin is slick, well fit and finished and just a fine rifle. Would compare it to the early Winchester's and the browning 92. Would put it ahead of the JM Marlins (but it did cost 2.5x what they did). I can say that the 1895 suppressed is just a great combo. It hits the steel so hard your ears ring (just from the impact). Really a fun gun.

Not a bad Option, my Rem. 870 Glug Gun, Rifled barrel, Thumb Hole Pistol Grip, Leupold 1.5X to 5X vari X 3 . Shoots 2/34 or 3 inch Rem Slugs pretty well at 50 to 100 yards. I purchased it for Ohio Whitetail deer, but It would make a good camp gun, in bear Country.

Attachments

• 870 Rem 12Gauge Special Slug Gun  1.5 to 5  X Leupold scopephoto (32).JPG
    870 Rem 12Gauge Special Slug Gun 1.5 to 5 X Leupold scopephoto (32).JPG
    793 KB · Views: 46
Not a bad Option, my Rem. 870 Glug Gun, Rifled barrel, Thumb Hole Pistol Grip, Leupold 1.5X to 5X vari X 3 . Shoots 2/34 or 3 inch Rem Slugs pretty well at 50 to 100 yards. I purchased it for Ohio Whitetail deer, but It would make a good camp gun, in bear Country.

Yes…..with the "proper" slugs. All slugs "are not" created equal! 😉

And shot (buck shot) is an absolute "no-no"…..unless you hope to blind the bear, and slip quietly away! 😁 memtb

I posted this earlier, this slug was recovered from the 3rd gallon jug of water I shot. It is the tried and true Federal 2-3/4" lead slug, it looked exactly as you see it in this pic when I recovered it out of the 3rd jug. Number 1 I thought it would have penetrated more jugs of water, I had 6-7 of them lined up, that's no fur, hide, muscle, or bone and it stopped in the 3rd jug of water. There may be better slugs out there but I would not risk my life on any of them until I did some type of testing on them.

Attachments

• 42057908-AE2B-4F24-BACE-7FF1C1C3162F.jpeg
    42057908-AE2B-4F24-BACE-7FF1C1C3162F.jpeg
    687.8 KB · Views: 39
I went with the Marlin 1895M, .450Marlin. This cartridge shoots slightly lighter bullet but exceeds the 45-70 by about 50% in every performance measure. Operates at twice the pressure of the 45-70.

Attachments

• Mar;in 1894Mag  450 Marlin.JPG
    Mar;in 1894Mag 450 Marlin.JPG
    731.6 KB · Views: 31