45-70 Gov. VS .338 MAG VS .300 Mag.

LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG Range Hunting!!!!

45/70 is back yard hunting! Even if the Buffalo hunters used it past 400yds! I have a 45/70 in a short Ruger #3 and I would say that 0 - 100yds it is the Moose Medicine of the cartridges you have listed. At LESS than 100 yards!

I agree with the other posts about the 30/06. Lots of good 200gr bullets that work great on game up to Moose size. Range: probably 300 yards with assured reliability, maybe more.

338? Yeah Baby!!! Big bullets, lots of speed, plenty of noise and kick! Whats not to like? The first two calibers will work in some or most situations. But the 338 WinMag covers ALL the situations.

Just my $0.02

LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG Range Hunting!!!!

45/70 is back yard hunting! Even if the Buffalo hunters used it past 400yds! I have a 45/70 in a short Ruger #3 and I would say that 0 - 100yds it is the Moose Medicine of the cartridges you have listed. At LESS than 100 yards!

Does that include the 3 yards (3-5 steps) the shooter moves backwards at the shot. I like #3's. I like the 45-70, but with full house loads its the most unappealing combo I can think of pulling a trigger on.

HarperC:

My God who taught you how to shoot a 45/70? Don't you know to back up to the nearest tree and plant your shoulder blade firmly against the trunk? That way the tree sways and you stay in the same county. I look up to check for apples, I got knoggin'd once, because its no good having something fall on you and spoil your aim for the next shot. I'll never make THAT mistake again!!!

(The above statement is intended to interject levity into the thread and does not reflect any Polish DNA that may or may not be present in the author.)

45/70 needs a recoil pad for most people. But if you are standing it is not bad. Marlin Guide Guns w/ factory brake have a good rep for taming the recoil.

I just don't care...

Yes the web site is long range hunting but this was posted in How to Hunt Big Game. There is more to this site than just long range hunting so who cares if the question was not about looonnnnggg raaaannnngggggeeeeee hunting?

Red Sparky

If we didn't find the post interesting we would not have read it. But you have to admit 45/70 and long range is an oxymoron. That's what struck me as so funny! And I own a 45/70!

The OP has a valid question, but which would you choose? I go for all - around first and choose something more specialized second or even third. As such the 338 WinMag is my recommendation. But if you hunt primarily in very close quarters, and I did that very thing for two decades, the choice would be the 45/70. That is what has been my primary elk gun since 1976. I just haven't had the opportunity to hunt at longer ranges, until now. BTW Ruger #3 in 45/70 is my most favorite gun in the safe hands down. Everybody needs one IMO.

The 300 WinMag is a very good choice as an all around gun. Gophers to Moose. Not a first choice for either. My youngest son's first big game rifle is in 300 WinMag because I believe it is the best all around caliber choice today. Bar none!

Do I own a 338 WinMag? No. Because last year when I made this very same decision I chose a 375 Ruger chambered in a Savage Weather Warrior. Added a Factory installed 26" tube too. But he asked about a 338 and since I personally came within a gnat's hair of buying that very caliber, of course I'm going to recommend it. Same parameters I considered when starting my search.

But a 45/70 discussed on a Long Range Website? That's funny I don't care who you are....

P.S. The OP's three caliber choices are THE three calibers I would recommend for a three gun battery. Perfect choice to cover it all. My real advice? Get all three!

I think your best bet is to use the 06 as is. It'd be big medicine for your intended use loaded with some barnes 180 gr tsx bullets. Load them yourself, or use the factory barnes vor-tx ammo. The 06 is a very versatile rd.
X2

As grovey and few others said. You already own a good moose gun. I'm not a fan of magnums too much noise, too much recoil and if you shoot them frequently too many folks develop a flinching problem.

I primarily hunt with my .50 ML so 200 yards is my long range hunting for that. Yes I shoot sabots so used the trajectory data for a 45/70 to approximate the ML to start out. Drilled and elk at 200 yards with a one shot kill through the heart but I like to get closer with the ML. Killed many mule deer at 500-600 yards with a fixed 4x on Win. Model 70 .270 Win. platform and "Kentucky wind age". I love the .222 Rem. with 10x fixed for praire dog shooting out to 500 yards.

The only point I was making was from what I read this was the first post by someone. I ran into some guys shooting black powder cartridges, like the 40/60 Sharps I think (it was over 20 years ago), at long range. The 800 yard gongs was close. Their first response to me when I tried to learn more about it and how to get into it, I never went back. So I must have taken it wrong.

Now I am going to watch them hunt Oryx here in NM on Optik Quest after Best of the West was on.

Red Sparky

The OP, bigrick37, stated he wanted another rifle. I am happy to help someone buy another gun! Having started my centerfire shooting with a Rem 742 in 30/06 I am a huge fan. Yeah, it will do it all just fine. But bigrick wants another rifle.

300WinMag is today's 30/06, a do-it-all. But he has an '06 and another 308cal makes no sense in a two gun battery.

45/70 is powerful up close - with handloads. Bigrick didn't mention reloading and there is good factory stuff but the 45/70 needs the custom touch of handloading to develop it's superior knockdown punch. But still possible.

338WinMag is an awesome big game cartridge. Tons of energy, long range, big well constructed bullets, everything you could ask in a heavy hitter. It's biggest advantage is superior Factory Loaded ammo. Full range of Barnes' finest in their own Vor-Tex line, and Nosler puts out a top quality in house line of ammo with their best bullets.

In my mind it is the caliber to extend bigrick's hunting selection and be able to get maximum bang for his buck.

But it is still an opinion.....

There are some rather good spitzer moulds for 45 cal that would help a 45-70 stretch its legs a bit. It's still a sub 200 yard gun for most people though.
Either of the above mags would fill the bill well for most anyone with the 338 getting top billing if you already have an '06.

I'm not to sure at this point that the o.p. is around any longer to care though, as he hasn't been logged in since his post date. Smacking someone over the head with "long range hunting" on a simple question asked is a sure way to run them off imo..

My apologies to the OP for the long range comment. No harm or insult intended.

Barnes makes some Semi- Spitzer 45 caliber bullets just for hot loads in 45/70. 300 & 350 grain solid copper and 300 & 400 grain cup and core copper jacketed "Originals".

All four have a much higher BC than any Flat Nose and retain enough velocity and energy out to 300 yards for hunting. Trajectory isn't bad either. But they work only in Siamese Mauser conversions and Ruger #1 & #3's.

The 400 grain Barnes Original is a beast in these hotter loads.

Be advised that the recoil is commensurate with the power generated!

KB

I too have a guide gun in 45-70 and if you are looking to punch thru just about anything 150 yards or less I would tell you to consider hand loading some of the 525gr cast bullets from Beartoth Bullets, or factory loaded BuffaloBore, or Garrets Hard Cast. I also realize this cartridge isn't a long range proposition but if my tail is on the line up close and personal, I wouldn't hesitate with this setup.

Some very good and interesting reading is on Garrets website regarding penetration, bullet weight, and speed with heavy bullets. I was very surprised when I read it but have since observed similar results with heavy cast bullets.

Just something to consider...

Erik

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.