444 marlin

For a bolt gun there are some really good, non-rimmed choices that are NOT way more gun than needed. The 458x2 (equivalent to a non-rimmed 45-70), a downloaded 458 Win, 460 A Square Short, the 450 Marlin as well as the new 350 Win Legend round are all worth looking at. I do not care for rimmed cartridges in a bolt. Lever or single shot they are great. They don't feed well and ejection can be spotty in a bolt. It also isn't nescessary when there are so many better choices as well as far wider bullet selections.

About 13 years. I ordered a 24" 444 marlin barrel from Thompsons custom shop. I have been shooting the 265 lever revaluation.
IMG_1577.JPG
It is very good ammunition. I would like it in a bolt also but I didn't think it could be mag feed. just interested in the thread.

Yes Ohio is a straight wall only rifle cartridge. It would be mostly stand hunting in Ohio with a range of 250 yards or less. As far as other animals not sure yet. I would like to hunt black bear elk and moose at some point but that gun would be mostly deer and bear if I did a gun hunt. Elk and moose would be something with more range.
What is the basis for requiring straight wall only rifle cartridges?

About 13 years. I ordered a 24" 444 marlin barrel from Thompsons custom shop. I have been shooting the 265 lever revaluation. View attachment 218036It is very good ammunition. I would like it in a bolt also but I didn't think it could be mag feed. just interested in the thread.

That adds up to a muzzle energy of 3,113 ft/lbs. That's more energy than a 308 shooting a 150 grain bullet at max load velocity by several hundred ft/lbs.

I would have to say that it would be good for whitetail Deer. 👍 👍 👍

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Thank you everyone one. I have done some reloading in the past and plan on it for this caliber. I wanted a bolt gun to have the best of both worlds with this caliber. I would like to load some heavy solid lead slugs and push the limits a little but not with a lever gun. My single shot will handle it but was looking for a follow-up shot of needed. People use this caliber for moose and elk out to 200 plus. But if I would ever get to hunt moose I would like to have more than one shot if a bear was to get to close. Someone said something about recoil earlier not a big deal with the right equipment that can be managed ie. Recoil pads muzzle breaks and the like. Just when you think of a deer gun a 458 lott is not the first thing that comes to mind. I have an encore muzzleloader pushing everything I could safely to hunt to get the max range and 12ga slugs with with a rifled barrel for the encore and have loved hunting with any of them. But wanted to test the water with thoughts on a 444 and bolt action. I am looking at a 350 legend for my son and daughter. They don't have nearly the weight I do and don't like the recoil and being beat up

Thank you everyone one. I have done some reloading in the past and plan on it for this caliber. I wanted a bolt gun to have the best of both worlds with this caliber. I would like to load some heavy solid lead slugs and push the limits a little but not with a lever gun. My single shot will handle it but was looking for a follow-up shot of needed. People use this caliber for moose and elk out to 200 plus. But if I would ever get to hunt moose I would like to have more than one shot if a bear was to get to close. Someone said something about recoil earlier not a big deal with the right equipment that can be managed ie. Recoil pads muzzle breaks and the like. Just when you think of a deer gun a 458 lott is not the first thing that comes to mind. I have an encore muzzleloader pushing everything I could safely to hunt to get the max range and 12ga slugs with with a rifled barrel for the encore and have loved hunting with any of them. But wanted to test the water with thoughts on a 444 and bolt action. I am looking at a 350 legend for my son and daughter. They don't have nearly the weight I do and don't like the recoil and being beat up
Honestly, the Marlin you have will take as much or more pressure than any break action single shot. Unless you made a Ruger 1 into a 444 you aren't going to exceed what the 444 can do in the Marlin. Same for a bolt action, u can't load the 444 enough hotter to make any appreciable difference. My hunting partner used a 444 marlin on moose elk and shooting bear control with me. I dont ever remember him needing a second shot. You dont need to move the bullet any faster than a Marlin is comfortable with. It is the hole that kills with the big bores not velocity or hydrostatic shock. I never tell a guy not to get another gun but you won't get any better performance out of a bolt 444 and you risk having a lot of feed issues which u will never have with the Marlin. That and second shot with the Marlin is much faster if u ever actually need it.

Honestly, the Marlin you have will take as much or more pressure than any break action single shot. Unless you made a Ruger 1 into a 444 you aren't going to exceed what the 444 can do in the Marlin. Same for a bolt action, u can't load the 444 enough hotter to make any appreciable difference. My hunting partner used a 444 marlin on moose elk and shooting bear control with me. I dont ever remember him needing a second shot. You dont need to move the bullet any faster than a Marlin is comfortable with. It is the hole that kills with the big bores not velocity or hydrostatic shock. I never tell a guy not to get another gun but you won't get any better performance out of a bolt 444 and you risk having a lot of feed issues which u will never have with the Marlin. That and second shot with the Marlin is much faster if u ever actually need it.
Thank you. I was under the impression lever guns would not take the same pressures bolts and single shots would. That is great to know.

To start I know this is not long range as you think of it. This is long range for deer hunting in Ohio. I have the 444 marlin lever gun and a CVA single shot. I want thoughts on having a bolt action built. I love the guns I have just want something else.
Check out a smokeless muzzleloader from Hankins Custom. I believe he is in Kentucky. 300 to 350 yards with Great accuracy.

Thank you. I was under the impression lever guns would not take the same pressures bolts and single shots would. That is great to know.
You are correct, a lever is not as strong as a bolt or ruger #1. Check your reloading manuals, there are 3 load levels for 45/70
Trapdoor, modern lever action, and
bolt/ruger#1. I believe the lever loads are limited to 44k psi, bolt guns are much higher.
I would never run bolt gun loads in a Marlin.

Browning chambered 450 marlin in their lever gun, not sure if it can be safely shot with bolt gun loads. Personally, the deer that I've killed with my 1895 in 450 at lever gun levels died extremely fast, and it's pleasurable to carry & shoot.

We did a bolt gun in a rimless wildcat based on the 444 awhile back. We were running about 400 fps faster than a 444 Marlin. Previous post is correct about using a bullet that won't disintegrate at the higher velocities. We had good luck with Speer bonded and, of course, Barnes. The FTX's shot well, but terminal performance was weak.

To start I know this is not long range as you think of it. This is long range for deer hunting in Ohio. I have the 444 marlin lever gun and a CVA single shot. I want thoughts on having a bolt action built. I love the guns I have just want something else.
Bigcountry8530 , Have you tried a scope made for bullet drop on the 444 , I have used the Redfield AccuRange scope on my 45/70 , it gives me the range of 250 yards with 400 grain bullets , I would imagine your 444 would do the same I use a 2x7x33 , :)