44 Mag Reduced Recoil Loads?

Troutslayer2

I've long been trying to find a reduced recoil load for my 2.75" Ruger 44 mag THAT SHOOTS AS WELL AS FULL HOUSE. I've got thousands of 240 grain cast SWCs and Hornady xTPs in 180 and 200 grains. I can post respectable groups with faster harder hitting loads but they seem to open up at lower charges. I'm trying to make this gun fun to shoot, and for me that means I can actually go out and shoot a pile of them in a session without getting sore. I've got Unique and 2400 on hand. Lay some wisdom on me.

9 grains Unique for 240gr cast Keiths👍. I have used 2400 but Unique is more forgiving. Loaded up some fire breathing 240 XTP with 24 gr H110 tonight for the Deagle. You wouldn't like them in your Ruger though🤣😂
That 240 with 24grains of H110 is exactly what I use for hunting. Not the most fun for target shooting. I loaded up some 300's with 21grains of H110 years ago. It was very accurate in my super redhawk and 629.

I will have to try Unique.

For general use and just banging around, I've used 22 grains of 2400 behind a Speer 200 gr. HP for 30 years. It works fine on hogs and isn't bad at all to shoot, though 2400 is pretty dirty stuff. Actually used it for a carry load at one time.

Fire lap the barrel and see better accuracy with all your loads. LBT has product and a great process. You will then find lighter loads working well.
Mostly, though, remember that bullet fit is critical. Lower power equals lower pressure. Less obturation with less pressure which means poor bullet fit. That gives leading and poor accuracy.
If you dont wanna fire lap, at least slug your bore and cylinder throats to get a proper fit. If the throats are inconsistent or smaller than the bore, have them reamed.

For general use and just banging around, I've used 22 grains of 2400 behind a Speer 200 gr. HP for 30 years. It works fine on hogs and isn't bad at all to shoot, though 2400 is pretty dirty stuff. Actually used it for a carry load at one time.
I prefer 296 / 110 just because it burns cleaner. My .44 Mag is a Blackhawk with a 10.5" barrel, so it's like shooting a .357 as far as recoil.

1 thing I've never used in my 37 years of loading 44mag is lpp. I've always used mlpp (cci350 to be specific). I have used some unique and universal, but loaded 1,000s with 296. I don't have my 629 anymore and my DE doesn't like 296 as much as lil gun and h110. I've seen #9 on the load data, but I like fire breathers/flame throwers! Accuracy has been good. With the DE (50ae) I've shot at 50 yards with (5 mags of 7) 34 being head shots and 1 in the neck just under 2 minutes. So, recoil was manageable.