40 Hart vs 338 Allen mag.

When Berger comes out with a .375 OTM Hybrid it will be time for a new build for me. Rumor is it will be a couple years which is handy because that's how long it will take for me to save the money.

Keep in mind with the 338 Allen mag the barrel shoots out in about 700 rounds. Might want to have 2 barrels made up

When Berger comes out with a .375 OTM Hybrid it will be time for a new build for me. Rumor is it will be a couple years which is handy because that's how long it will take for me to save the money.

Sorry, but I hope Berger can simply catch up with it's backorders on it's current bullet lineup!!! That may take two years by itself. No need to throw in new bullet designs into the mix.

Sorry for the hijack...I just couldn't resist!! :D

I think the 338AX would be best for what you are wanting to do, that and Kirby talks more guys out of the 338AM than what he builds.

Keep in mind with the 338 Allen mag the barrel shoots out in about 700 rounds. Might want to have 2 barrels made up

If your really hard on the barrels, your correct, maybe less then that even. IF you really take care of them and use them as intended , they often push close to 1000 rounds of useful long range barrel life. By using them as intended, that means never shooting more then three shot strings(preferably single shot in practical field practice situations), allowing plenty of barrel cooling time between strings, keeping them clean and use recommended loads that are relatively mild in chamber pressures.

Not saying they are by any means barrel friendly as they are not but they are not as bad as many would think if used properly. Getting two barrels made at the start is not a bad idea but if the customer has a rifle that is more volume shooting friendly to use MOST of the time and use the 338 AM for special situations that its designed for, that being +1000 yards, they will often last a lifetime and then some for big game hunting.

Choosing to have a 338 Allen Magnum is not a decision to be made lightly. My goal is to have my customers that order one of my rifles actually USE my rifles. Many want to order a 338 Allen Magnum simply because its the biggest and baddest practical 338 magnum around, or at least on the top of the performance ladder with a few others in the same class. That's not a bad thing but these rifles are big, long, heavy and expensive. For what they are designed for, they are amazing weapon systems but often times, guys want them for other reasons then what they are designed for and in the end, they get into a rifle that is not REALLY what they want or need.

As such, when a potential customer comes to me wanting me to build them a custom rifle, I talk things over with them first to determine what exactly they plan to do with the rifle. In the end, if someone just WANTS one of these weapon systems to have, no problem with that, but if we find out that their hunting goals really do not require a weapon system as specialized as a 338 Allen Magnum, I often recommend one of my lesser wildcats.

Many are much better suited to a more all around weapon system such as one of my Raptor Stalker rifles in 300 Allen Xpress or 338 Allen Xpress for hunting from 0 to 1000 yards. Some are better suited with the same chamberings but in a more dedicated long range rifle such as my Raptor LRSS which is designed for use from 500 to 2000 yards.

As mentioned, in talking with potential customers and together finding out what system will meet their goals best we pass on the 338 Allen Magnum 90% of the time in favor of on of the Allen Xpress chamberings.

There are certain situations that the 338 Allen Magnum is the perfect choice but many more where it is out classed for a specific use by lesser chamberings.

I do not know much about the 40 Hart. If it is based on the 375 RUM necked up to 40 cal, it would have a DRAMATIC barrel life advantage but then its also limited significantly by the bullet selection in 40 cal. Solid bullets can be a bit finicky depending on bore diameter. Building a rifle for use with a very limited selection of bullets is a serious gamble unless that one bullet is a proven bullet that works well over a wide range of bore diameters, for example, the 350 gr 375 cal SMK for my 375 Allen Magnum. Its not the best game bullet in the world but it generally shoots extremely well in most barrels I have shot them in.

Ballistically, I personally do not think the RUM case has enough capacity to get velocity up where it should be for a 40 cal projo used for long range hunting. For target shooting or rock bustin, no problems but for big game we do need a certain level of retained velocity for proper terminal performance.

Anyway, not saying the 338 Allen Magnum is not a good choice for your application. Just that there may be better options out there for what your looking to do with a new rifle.

Kirby

The problem is once you have a 338 Allen Mag. It's hard to go back to anything else. Even though a 338 Lapua will do the job for anything under 1500 yards it's just not the same. A person can kill a prarie dog with a 22LR but they can blow it up with a 22-250.

Kirby

The problem is once you have a 338 Allen Mag. It's hard to go back to anything else. Even though a 338 Lapua will do the job for anything under 1500 yards it's just not the same. A person can kill a prarie dog with a 22LR but they can blow it up with a 22-250.

YEP!!!:D There is some method to my madness!!! I am currently working on a Hunter model for my XHS rifles. It will be a single shot still using the 1.47" multi-flat BAT receiver, trimmed down stock and lighter contour barrel, Hoping to get down in the 13-14 lb. range which would be even a couple lbs lighter then my Lightweight XHS platform.

R&D time has been pretty limited this year with the delays in the firearm industry really setting me back on shipping times, have had less time to play just to keep rifles heading out the door. Hopefully 2014 will be a better year all around in the firearm industry, as long as we keep Washington out of it!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.