375 Caliber A-max...might be a possibility. Please read.

memtb

Welcome to LRH!

Don't kid yourself, most people with 16+ pound rifles don't carry them far afield much less up and down mountains!

This thread has evolved into two factions, better than what we have and we need the very best. Each proponent believes they have the market share to do it. I believe we combine our needs and push for both. I want a 300 grain or slightly less better technology high BC bullet for every day hunting. I would very much be in the market for something heavier as I have found "bigger is better" when it gets up close and personal. I would gladly use a 350 gr pill at close range at the reduced velocity my 375 Ruger generates to insure complete penetration. Like Tikka's Dad says, holes on both sides!

Having read most of the 375 stuff on this website the 350 SMK stabilizes fine in 1-12 twist so there really isn't an argument of usability in the smaller cases of a high BC bullet up around 350 grains. From a makers stand point changing nose punches and maybe boat tail punches is easy. So what ever the finished weight better to stay with modified existing designs.

Speer has been swamped with demand but I wonder if they could also be persuaded to bring out something better?

KB

Speer has been swamped with demand but I wonder if they could also be persuaded to bring out something better?

KB

I just looked on Hornady's site, and counted 7, .375 offerings. 3 of those labeled Temporarily suspended. Even the old standby 270 Interlock,

Presumably these are not selling well. I know folks have .375 Winchester lever guns to feed, but it seems if your line is getting beat in the ,375 market, some redirection might be in order.

The 270 grain Interlock used to be one of the standards, it's design has fallen behind as competition has crept in. I hear more shooters using Accubonds, Barnes, and Speer in that weight class. Hornady is continuing to make the 250 GMX, so I'm guessing it's selling.

Speer has 3 bullets, the 235 has typically been a low recoil choice with it's own following. The 285 GS and 270 Boattail seems to me could be channeled into a single economically viable offering.

It seems to me there is room to drop or redesign a significant portion of their .375 line.

HarperC

Hornady has posted info on their site stating they are producing the highest demand SKU's as primary and have a second tier production that is rotated between SKU's in less demand. 375 is in this secondary tier. the 300 SpBT Interlock is history. They must have had the 250 GMX in production when the crunch hit and it is what they have stock of. Their production would be targeted for loaded ammo first I'm sure. I have never seen any 250 GMX in stores. They have a PDF list of products that have highlighted SKU's that indicate those products currently suspended but slated for production in the near future.

The GMX does not fall into cup and core construction so the production lines are different. In theory monolithic construction should be simpler (fewer steps) so the GMX line may have inherently better availability. Barnes and Nosler both make monolithics (CEB also) that have high BC's compared to conventional cup and core same weight bullets in their line. Barnes is an exception as they are pretty much mono only but they make TTSX and that is a simple but very effective BC enhancement. Monolithic's may have the highest potential for us to move the bullet makers into high BC offerings.

KB

All true. My intended point was there is a fair amount of redundancy in the .375 line, both as a company, and as a piece of the entire market.

The 250 GMX is so close to the Barnes TTSX it wouldn't be missed in the market. Some of these bullets have been out there decades. I suspect the ones listed as suspended are not the biggest sellers.

Would one bullet serve the bullet companies better than multiple marginal sellers, I don't have those numbers, but it seems like a fair question.

All true. My intended point was there is a fair amount of redundancy in the .375 line, both as a company, and as a piece of the entire market.

The 250 GMX is so close to the Barnes TTSX it wouldn't be missed in the market. Some of these bullets have been out there decades. I suspect the ones listed as suspended are not the biggest sellers.

Would one bullet serve the bullet companies better than multiple marginal sellers, I don't have those numbers, but it seems like a fair question.

I agree completely with your line of thinking/questioning on this. The existing lines of .375 bullets are sorely in need of a re-evaluation followed by design updates. There is a lot of "dead wood" that needs to be cleared out of .375 production to make room for bullets that someone will actually buy. Aside from solids and controlled expansion bullets, the rest of the field seems to be duplicative and hopelessly outmoded designs that appear to have come from about the time when the Remington Corelokt was a state of the art bullet.

It sure would be nice to see someone clear out the cobwebs and start fresh!

I agree. I wish i had a real option to the 260 Nosler Accubond that offered the weight I'd like with an excellent BC . Right now the 350gr. Sierra just will not work for African Game. At least I would never trust it. I have perfectly mushroomed 260 AB that just didn't drop the Kudu despite my best effort.

I agree completely with your line of thinking/questioning on this. The existing lines of .375 bullets are sorely in need of a re-evaluation followed by design updates. There is a lot of "dead wood" that needs to be cleared out of .375 production to make room for bullets that someone will actually buy. Aside from solids and controlled expansion bullets, the rest of the field seems to be duplicative and hopelessly outmoded designs that appear to have come from about the time when the Remington Corelokt was a state of the art bullet.

It sure would be nice to see someone clear out the cobwebs and start fresh!

I agree ..... And the same applies to the 375 caliber cartridges as well

I agree ..... And the same applies to the 375 caliber cartridges as well

It seems to me that one of the most serious obstacles for cartridges suited to ELR is the lack of suitable production actions/rifles. I have followed some technical discussions regarding the unsuitability of commercial actions from Remington and Savage for cartridges like .338 Lapua, even though they chamber rifles for the Lapua cartridge.

Overall, I believe the limited factory options in cartridges of that class has done a lot to limit their popularity. I think the whole short magnum craze took things in the opposite direction, which wasn't helpful in that regard. Some cartridges that had potential didn't go as far as they should/could have because of the lack of industry foresight. I would consider the RUM's to be a good example of that.

IMO, commercial production actions/rifles that are properly built to handle Rigby size cases are sorely needed. They exist in the custom world, but the cost of a custom rifle is a barrier to entry that sorely limits the popularity of ELR capable rigs, cartridges, and components. The Weatherby Mark V is an option, but it will cost about the same as a custom. The CZ 550 Magnum action is suitable, but is not offered in ELR oriented chamberings except through the CZ custom shop. By the time you source a bare action and have the rifle built, you are back in custom territory when it comes to cost.

I've been nagging them about it as well.

Practical application would be the same as all other Amax bullets: ELR shooting and hunting combined in one bullet for a reasonable price.

I would buy the heck out of 'em!

Vestals Gunsmithing is working with a custom bullet maker as we speak on a jacketed .375 bullet. I think they said by fall the bullets should be ready to sell. They have a Facebook page and website.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts