3650 yards target nailed !!!

Here are som pics form when I tested 300 grs Bergers at 2200 yards at sea level.
MV was 2736 fps out of my 338LM. It was a very mild load, but it held tight groups at 1000 yards.

The 5 shot group measures 40 inches, including the coldbore shot.
The bullet has no problems going through the transonic range and into subsonic speed. It was a bit windy, and I struggled with the terrain where I was shooting from, it was a wet spot, and I sunk deeper down into it for every shot I made.

Will try again when my new barrel in 338LM Imp is ready.

20121006_155024.jpg

20121006_155127.jpg

From the numbers I get running your information, it looks like your combo would be supersonic to very close to 2200 yards depending on bar pressure and humidity at sea level so I would not say that your load has completely passed through the transonic velocity ranges.. Looks like your just started to get into them. Set a target up at 2500 yards and then you would certainly see the bullet passing through the transonic velocity ranges and also be able to see how she flies on the back side of them.

2 moa at 2200 yards in the wind is pretty good performance for sure. Good shooting.

According to Applied Ballistics, and my note book, the speed of the bullet was 994 fps at 2200 yards. I do not know how accurate the AB for Android is, but I guess it is not that much off either.

Where does the transonic range end?

Thanks for the reply :)

Load development starts this morning, will keep you posted. Looking to drive the 300 gr Berger to 3350-3400 fps in your 32" barrel length with good brass life. Do not think that will be a problem. Will keep you posted with results.

Also going to go out tonight and look for some 3K places to shoot. I think I have a couple possible places to go but have to check them out first. May be running cattle on them right now.

Kirby, Looking forward to the results. Shooting my 338 AM XHS 32" barrel this past weekend at 1260 yds with the accuracy load and 3250 fps in the MT / North ID border area on the divide at 4020 Ft El. Berger 300's, Shots off Applied ballistics and Bullet flight were calculated. Slightly diff shots for dialing and Bullet flight was closer. 9 inch group on 4 shots was best. My first shooting over 800 yds with the gun. I was very pleased with the results across canyons and mixed winds. I have spots to 2600 Yds on the divide to shoot that Ive located. My terrapin maxes out a bit after that. Would love to shoot 3k when you find a spot, likely next summer when I have a lot more time behind my 338AM. Keep up the ELR work you are doing. It helps us all.

Kirby, what chronograph do you use?

Used to use Shooting Chronos a lot because they were cheap, worked and worked well in the wind.

I am currently using a Competition Electronics ProChrono and have been very happy with it. No frills but does what I need it to do, I can figure the rest. Can not complain about it. Seems more consistant then the shooting chronos in lower light conditions and less fussy about bullet path through the screen.

For the money, pretty good unit.

Load development starts this morning, will keep you posted. Looking to drive the 300 gr Berger to 3350-3400 fps in your 32" barrel length with good brass life. Do not think that will be a problem. Will keep you posted with results.

Also going to go out tonight and look for some 3K places to shoot. I think I have a couple possible places to go but have to check them out first. May be running cattle on them right now.

Sounds good.

According to Applied Ballistics, and my note book, the speed of the bullet was 994 fps at 2200 yards. I do not know how accurate the AB for Android is, but I guess it is not that much off either.

Where does the transonic range end?

Thanks for the reply :)

2 MOA at 2200 Sea Level in the mud is in the ball park. 994 seems a little low.

I apologize, garbage in garbage out.... Sorry info was wrong!!!!!!!!1

Last edited:
I have a question not related to this particular dissection but on the speed of sound. When I fly in our corporate jet (Lear), our pilot is careful not to exceed the speed of sound at 50,000 feet (it can btw) because the FAA frowns on creating a sonic boom over populated areas unless it's a military manuver.

My question is if the projectile is travelling faster than the speed of sound (which varies with altitude btw, the higher you are in altitude the lower the sound barrier threshold is), when the projectile slows to transonic velocity, how come there is no sonic boom?? There must be turbulence. I know there is in the Lear when accelerating and decelerating, especially above 400 mph. We normally cruise at 475 mph at 50-55,thousand feet or 5-10,000 feet above commercial traffic.

I'm curious.

...and yes, you can carry your piece on a private jet......

and no, no stewardess. Just a co-pilot... but a well stocked beverage cabinet and it's serve yourself.

I know nothing about sonic booms but I would think that the size of the object passing through the barrier would have to play a role in how loud the boom is?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts