• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

35 Whelen M1917 Sporter

nchunter182

This is one of my hunting rifles that I'm moving out of the safe to make room and fund other projects. I purchased this rifle long ago so really don't know the history behind it. I wish I did as it is an interesting old school piece and whoever did the work seems to have done a very good job of making a sporter out of it. It is an Eddystone action and the serial number indicates February 1918 as date of manufacture. I carried it on many Colorado elk hunts and a Newfoundland moose hunt. I wish I could tell you how it performed on game but all I did was a lot of armed hiking. This rifle has been on many hunting trips over its life and stock shows it. Metal finish is in good shape but it also has some marks. It's a heavy rifle as it weighs 10.5 pounds with scope. For factory ammo, all I ever tried was the Federal Fusion 200gr when I first bought the rifle just to see if it shot well. I was very impressed and decided it was worth keeping! My hunting loads were the Nosler 250gr partition bullets. Not as accurate but a super stout heavy bullet. I have shot it out to 400 yards, and they delivered plenty acceptable hunting accuracy. I have many reloading tools and components for this caliber that will be offered to the buyer of this rifle before posting for sale individually. Scope and rings not included.

Price is $500 and buyer pays shipping to your FFL

Edit: If you live in Texas, I'd prefer to do face-to-face deal. Willing to drive a reasonable distance to meet up with you. Also glad to do facetime call to discuss rifle.

Send me a message for additional questions and to arrange purchase.

Thanks,
Jay

• Built on US Model of 1917 controlled round feed action (P17 Enfield)
  • Military bottom metal has been straightened to remove hump
  • Bushed bolt firing pin hole and turned firing pin – work performed by Gre-Tan Rifles
  • Original firing pin spring was replaced with Wolff Gunsprings spring
  • Timney Sportsman trigger set at 2 lbs
  • EGW 0 MOA scope rail
  • Unknown manufacturer 1-14" twist 25 ¾"light Palma contour chrome moly barrel - .635" at muzzle
  • Unknown manufacturer walnut stock (appears to be hand checkered) with Pachmayr recoil pad.
  • Action fully bedded on aluminum pillars with Score High Gunsmithing Pro-Bed 2000 brown epoxy – barrel fully free-floated after the first 1"

IMG_0777.JPG
IMG_0778.JPG
IMG_0779.JPG
IMG_0780.JPG
IMG_0781.JPG
IMG_0782.JPG
IMG_0783.JPG
IMG_0784.JPG
IMG_0785.JPG
IMG_0786.JPG

Last edited:
I've heard of guys using a Model 70 stock on these and yours sure has the appearance of that. Great rifle package.