338 Xtreme?????

Well put Kirby.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to test his personal rifle and loads. We shot it last year at the IBS Nationals in Ohio. Shot it at a 1000 yard IBS target at 1,720 yards.

Just like Kirby, I too was surprised it did not perform well. Not even close to what he told us it was capable of. Tried a different shooter and the results were the same... Never tried to figure out the problem with the combination, have enough of my own stuff to figure out. I don't know what the water capacity is of the Xtreme case, but it is smaller than the .408 case. That alone tells me that it is not possible to run the same velocity with the 300 grain bullets. Why shoot anything lighter. If I wanted to shoot anything lighter than the 300 gr, I would stick with the Lapua case.

The money is the same when you play with the big stuff.

For those wanting to be on the top of the food chain with the .338, it would be wise to use a proven combination built by one of the reputable custom rifle builders.

Thanks Fifty & Joel,

Joel lets get together and do some hog hunting I would like to try your gun. As business picks up I'm planning on building a couple new longgg guns. I've been looking at 338 Edge, might try it before moving to the 408 case.

I have a friend in Colorado that owns a big ranch and he wants me to come out and hunt some elk. I would love to bust one at a 1000. He says there is a spot that overlooks several meadows that would be perfect to set up for the day and glass with the big guns. I think I'm going to take him up on it.

When I get down your way Joel I want to stop by your shop. What do you do just stock work?

Tim

I saved you number you e-mailed to me, I'll keep in touch with you. If you have a few places to stretch out, I'll be more than happy to bring up the big guns and you're more than welcome to pull the trigger.
You'll probably be calling your buddy from the field to take him up on his invite.:D
I do the stocks on the side, but at times it seems like a full time job...

Tim,

What part of Indiana County are you in?

Joel is right by the way, when you get to this level, the money all becomes the same, my opinion is you might as well go with the most power for your dollar.

This isn't an advertisement for Kirby, but I haven't seen anything that comes close to the Allen Magnums, aside from the other 408 variants, when you compare build and ammunition costs. I have never met Kirby, just e-mailed, but if there were something with more snot, he would be working on it- kind of like the 510 Allen.

And there are plenty of guys on here shooting them with much success.

I should have my 375 AM done by this year, hopefully. We could get together and vaporize some hogs.

Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts