338 Winchester

DR Ray

I'm just starting long range target shooting -
300 Winchester using 208 Grain Hornady ELD match bullets and the 338 Winchester using 225 grain Speers.
I live in the latitude of 17 degrees (south). At what range will spin drift and the Coriolis effect start to affect the bullet's path?

300 - Shooting to 1345m (elevation 2000 ft) and ditto for the 338??

And by how much??

Strelok pro is a pretty good standard, but it's been banned in the us since it was developed in Russia. I don't know if you have access to it in Australia

I use Shooter app and it's good. Like anything though, its only as good as the data you enter into it. If you haven't yet, make sure to crono your ammo and enter that into the app you choose to use and it will help you out so much better.

Just my opinion but the 1345M is gonna be a stretch for the 225gr .338 Speers. They're a great bullet at closer distances but leave a little to be desired at long distance. The 338WM is a little limited in case capacity against the bigger .338s.

I've had best luck with the .338 Cutting Edge 250 grainers for 1000M+ targets. Really impressive ft lbs delivered on target past 700 when launched at realistic 338WM velocities.

For the 300WM, tough to beat a Hornady 250gr Atip , just need a 1-8 twist barrel, I'm getting 2920 from a 30inch Bartlien.