338 weatherby rpm

Before Weatherby released this cartridge I built a rifle in a variation of this cartridge using a a Proof Research .338 Sendero CF in 1:9.4". I used a 6.5RPM reamer and then cut a custom neck and throat. I throated it to set a 250gr Berger Elite Hunter with the major diameter just forward of the neck/shoulder junction and have a .050" of jump. This defeats their purpose in this cartridge but fully suits my own needs. Using H100V it pushes the 250 @ 2940fps with an SD in the single digits. It's a long range hammer for sure. I call it the "338 Camp".

Not many new factory rifles get me as excited as this cartridge and rifle do. I have bought into the hype for sure. I have a 36M Omega that I got a deal on that was intended for a completely different setup but after hearing the stories with the .338 RPM and short barrels, I want one. It's cool to see Weatherby go out on a limb but with a very thought out item. I just want to know which model handles a suppressor better; the 18" #3 steel or the 20" carbon fiber barrel.

Recent Posts