338 RUM is a tack driver and a forehead killer!

Curt

Ok I've found the sweet spot for my Rem 700 338 RUM with the 300g SMK's at least, but I'm having some trouble. The 225g and 250g bullets work well, but when I step up to the 300g bullets I can't keep the scope off my head. I built the rifle to be a light mountain rifle and it tips the scales right at 9.5lbs with scope. Any suggestions? I don't want to brake it if I can help it. I guess the good news is that the last group I printed with it was 7/16" @ 100 yards with the 300g SMK's, which I am very happy about. Thanks in advance fot the help

Increasing the the eye relief by a fraction of an inch can make a BIG difference. I know by first hand experience. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I had a 6.5x20 Leupold on my 300RUM. While working up loads with the 240SMK I cranked the scope up to 20x. That also cranked the eye relief down to the minimum. I saw the error of my ways immediately.

You may very well solve the problem by using a scope with more eye relief. Some scopes have 4" or more. Just a thought.

I hate brakes on hunting rifles too.

I'm useing a Zeiss 3-9x40 now and if my memory serves me I think that it is a 4" eye relief scope. Its not so much the rearward recoil thats getting me I thinks its the jump of the muzzle.

more than likly the length of pull is to short for you , you can try getting another pad thats thicker or one of those Past shoulder pads , I have found that even with mild recoilg guns the correct LOP makes a huge differance n accuracy and gun control

Man, your brave!! I would never think to touch off a 300g bullet in a 9.5lb rifle, thats asking for it. I tried talking my buddy into shooting the 300g SMK out of his stock rem 700, he pretty much told me that he had to see me shoot it first. I told him to kiss my butt, I"m not that stupid.

I shot the 220g SMK's out of my stock rem 700 at 3000fps and they gave me the old scope cut a couple times. It was only while laying prone though.

[ QUOTE ]
more than likly the length of pull is to short for you , you can try getting another pad thats thicker or one of those Past shoulder pads , I have found that even with mild recoilg guns the correct LOP makes a huge differance n accuracy and gun control

[/ QUOTE ]

What JD said. Try a limbsaver slip over.

REM- Nah it don't hurt, but I have a brake anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well my friends dad has an older 338-06 and he said he use to shoot the old 275g speers. You know dang well they aint moving very fast but he said that was the worst kicking SOB ever. His dad is a pretty big guy and he can only shoot a couple shots out of it before he puts it away.

Now your shooting a 300g bullet, faster MV, he said theres no way in heck he would shoot it, period. I'm not to sure I would want to more then once, maybe, just to say I did. I'd probly want the scope off the rifle as well. I dont need a scar in the middle of my head.

I recomended him to get a brake, but he hates brakes with a passion. He wont even shoot a 250g through it, hes sticking with the 225g AB. I told him he wouldn't be able to handle all that recoil w/out a brake, but he didn't seem to listen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Everyones limit is different in recoil, thats for sure. For my little skinny butt, at a whole 140lbs, a 300 RUM w/200g bullets is about all I can handle in a sporter weight rifle w/out gettting to shy about recoil. Thats still 45+ lbs of recoil, quite a bit.

Good thing for me the Zeiss 3-9 has a rubberized rear eye piece /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Like I said before the rearward recoil isn't whats getting me so much as the muzzle jump. I think I might send it off to get magnaported. Can someone tell me if magnaporting will be as loud as a brake?

REM: While I weigh in a little more than you I don't by much......about a 170lbs. I used to shoot a 300WBY Mag but let me tell ya it had nothing on this 338 RUM in the recoil department. I ran 11 or 12 rnd through the RUM several days ago and it really doesn't bother me except the muzzle jump. I had it sitting with the front sling stud just infront of a sandbag and the sling stud tore a big **** hole in the bag! Anyway I'll check the LOP and would love to hear some magnaport experiences. Thanks again

Have a friend that has a 338 Win Mag magnaported. Its his favorite rifle.

But I figure a magnaported 338 RUM and a non-ported Win Mag would be about the same.

Me thinks about a pound and a half of weight in butt and fore arm would be about right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

This is just something I've learned to live with since my start with a light 300 Win Mag while I was but a 130 lb kid nearly 20 years ago.

My secret is to mount the scope really far forward so my neck is "pre-stretched" when reaching up to it. After a little bit, you get used to it. That's what has felt natural to me for years now.

I just weighed my 300 RUM in its current guise at 9 lbs 5 oz and I've shot 290 grainers from it at 2800+. Its current scope only has about 2.75" eye relief to the actual eyepiece that would bash you (the ocular lens is set in a ways). But the scope is mounted far enough forward it pretty much can't get me. Longer eye relief helps but I've found it doesn't help enough if you still mount the scope too far back--even if you back up your head, recoil will take up all that slack.

In short, move the scope farther forward and you may fix your problem for free without adding something you don't want.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.