338 Lapua Mag barrel

Thank you AJ. Do you normally find the chamber pressure predictions to match the point when you start to notice actual pressure signs?

I wonder because 96.0gr Retumbo is the load I use in my Surgeon XL .338LM. I've never noticed any serious pressure signs, certainly nothing that would indicate 73kPsi IMO. That's interesting.

I'm shooting at about 6400' asl, and normally in about 35-50degF conditions. Does that have much effect on the pressure?

Thanks for any insight.

Here's the rifle in question:

PAI .338LM on a Surgeon XL
30" Rock 1:9.4
300SMK, MV 2925fps avg.

Web_IMG_9648.jpg

The reason I'm interested this thread and data is because I just recently bought another XL .338LM for the sole purpose of cutting the barrel down, and wear my suppressor full time. I've been thinking around 22-23".

What do you think about it? Would it be better to leave it a bit longer around 25-26"?

Thanks.

VTI,

I use the estimations from Quickload as data points only. I always work up my loads over a chronograph, which tells me pretty fast if I am getting out of the safe zone.

Nice rifle and speed goat!

AJ

Chris -- Just went and weighed if for ya :D

It weighs 19.2lbs with empty mag. That includes the S&B 5-25x56 w/ badger 6screw rings too, as pictured above.

Thank you AJ. Do you normally find the chamber pressure predictions to match the point when you start to notice actual pressure signs?

I wonder because 96.0gr Retumbo is the load I use in my Surgeon XL .338LM. I've never noticed any serious pressure signs, certainly nothing that would indicate 73kPsi IMO. That's interesting.

I'm shooting at about 6400' asl, and normally in about 35-50degF conditions. Does that have much effect on the pressure?

Thanks for any insight.

Here's the rifle in question:

PAI .338LM on a Surgeon XL
30" Rock 1:9.4
300SMK, MV 2925fps avg.

Web_IMG_9648.jpg

The reason I'm interested this thread and data is because I just recently bought another XL .338LM for the sole purpose of cutting the barrel down, and wear my suppressor full time. I've been thinking around 22-23".

What do you think about it? Would it be better to leave it a bit longer around 25-26"?

Thanks.

Since you have already had a rifle built by Patriot call Jared and ask him about the .338 he built for Tom B. in Laredo. Trust me on the 20" barrel. We shot the rifle to 1850 today and the rifle performed awesome..

A 20" barrel on a Accuarcy International 338 LM?!! I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. LOL to each his own but I couldnt imagine doing that to such a fine specimen.

Well spit that **** out and believe it. The rifle is 100 times nicer with a 20" barrel. Trust me I own one with the 27" barrel and I am working on having the 20" barrel made for mine.. A couple of Years ago I would have agreed with you but now I have seen the light!!

I actually have talked to Jered about this issue. Not your rifle specifically, but just short bbl .338LM's in general. You're right that he is a supporter of them in certain circumstances. He said he's built them as short as 17", and other than unusually high muzzle pressure, they preformed fantastic.

I think I'll stay with 22-23" though :D Just no need to go any shorter. This puts the rig at about 53" in length which fits perfectly in my drag bag, suppressor mounted. That portability is really my goal, any shorter is just giving up fps.

One thing that is true for sure is the muzzle blast.. I shot my buddies on concrete and it felt like I was hit in the face with a phone book!! Shooting on dirt or grass = No Problems..

I have a custom built 338lapua with a 1-10 27" barrel. Im am considering cutting it down to 20-22". I know I will lose muzzle velocity, but I shoot through a sure fire suppressor which should help. Any one got any info on suppressed short barrel 338s? I was wondering if the decrease in length could adversely effect my suppressor also?

It will not affect your suppresor at all. I have shot all length .338 lapua's with a can. You will only gain back about 50 fps at most. But even then a custom .338 with a good barrel at 20" will net you about 2650 to 2700 fps with 300 gr. pills. If you plug that into a ballistic calculator you will see that it is more than enough. Anything that gets hit with a .300 gr. bullet at that speed is done. It will be supersonic past 1500 yds. It will destroy most animals at over 1k. And the best part at 20" you can easily carry it anywhere. If you need more info pm me.

This was mine top one is the .338 lapua 20"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Roger that, it's as good as cut. I'm gonna take it in next week. I'm sick of trying to deal with a rifle that essentially has a 32" barrel since I shoot suppressed all the time. I figured its was pretty much the same situation as the 308 when people started to debate whether or not to cut those down. Portability and weight mean a lot in the hunting and tactical realm, not so much on the square range. Thanks for your input.

The one i am building now is a defiance action, 20" varmint countour barrel 1 in 9.25 twist, manners mcs-tf3, apa bottom metal, probably a surefire brake for a suppressor , hensoldt 4-16.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.