338 help deciding

I think I'd go RUM as well. Would be nice if someone could give me a COAL of a rum with a badlands or hammer of about 250 gr. I know I'm ok with the mega for length.
It depends on where you want them seated. This is a 250gr SB II at 3.810" on the left, and a 260gr HH at 3.780" on the right, both loaded in ADG 338 RUM cases. Ignore the seating stem ring on both bullets, that's just my die. I just never get around to polishing that stem. Lol

Attachments

• 1E2BA105-7350-4513-9F91-855E6BECCAC8.jpeg
    1E2BA105-7350-4513-9F91-855E6BECCAC8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
Just ordered an IBI CF barrel at 23" with a 9 twist. Now I need to decide what to build. I don't need the biggest baddest 338. This guns main use will be for elk from up close to no farther than 600 yds. Rest of the components are Mesa altitude, BDL bottom metal, defiance tenacity LA Mag bolt, jewel trigger. Hoping to order a SRS brake. I'm in Canada so accessing certain things can be a problem. Was considering a 338 Mega, 338 RUM, 338 Win mag. Will be shooting an all copper bullet of some sort in the 225-250 gr, no heavier . Please Leave your opinion and why one of these or a different choice is better. Open to others that I have not listed. Hoping for a velocity in the 2850-3000 FPS range.
I'm no expert, Sir, but I'm considering the .338-'06 for a .30-'06 Springfield re-barrel (or I might use that action for a 6.5-'06 A-Square, instead). I just learned that there .338-'06 has around 150-200 fps less than a .338 Win Mag, using a lot less powder. It will still kill elk out to 500 yards or more, and folks who have tried them love 'em. The win mag will reach a bit farther, though. Just an option.
John

It depends on where you want them seated. This is a 250gr SB II at 3.810" on the left, and a 260gr HH at 3.780" on the right, both loaded in ADG 338 RUM cases. Ignore the seating stem ring on both bullets, that's just my die. I just never get around to polishing that stem. Lol
Thanks Yorke-1. That helps me a lot. Appreciate it. Any on game experience with each bullet?

Thanks Yorke-1. That helps me a lot. Appreciate it. Any on game experience with each bullet?

I haven't hit anything with Badlands bullet, but I have shot a few animals with the Hammers. There's a great thread on here with a ton of data on the Badlands bullets. I've only shot 2 deer with the Hammer's, but I've been happy with the performance on both of them. The rest of my on game experiecne with the Hammers has been on smaller critters.

The two bullets take different approaches to terminal performance, so that may factor into which bullet you prefer. The Badlands are designed to retain their petals, while the Hammers are designed to shed them. I'm partial to copper bullets shedding their petals, so I'd lean more toward the Hammer for general hunting between those two options. I'd look at the Badlands if I was leaning more towards a high BC bullet in the 250gr range.

Our smith runs a 338 rum with the 260g Hammer Hunter. Seated at 3.77" oal with a stout load of rl26 running at 3000 fps. He has taken a truck load of deer, elk, and bear between 700 and 800y. One that we loaded for a customer seated at 3.785" oal running about 60 fps less with rl26. This rifle also responsible for a bunch of animals in the 800y range.

Gday beeman
Please take note of what Yorke has stated
The two bullets take different approaches to terminal performance, so that may factor into which bullet you prefer. The Badlands are designed to retain their petals, while the Hammers are designed to shed them. I'm partial to copper bullets shedding their petals, so I'd lean more toward the Hammer for general hunting between those two options. I'd look at the Badlands if I was leaning more towards a high BC bullet in the 250gr range.

The shed variety will kill better @ the same impact velocity ( just watch meplat shape of different brands )

Cheers

I have shot the planet with a .338 Win Mag but IMO 600 yards is pushing it; the Edge is far better in the wind. I shoot 300 Bergers and get 2870. I imagine the .338 RUM would be just as good (the Edge is simply a 300 RUM necked up, whereas the .338 RUM has a shoulder sightly set back).