338 EDGE

MTM

Got my new 338 edge from defensive edge gunsmithing last week. Went to the range with shawn and the frist 3 round out of gun shot a half inch. at a 100 yds. Cleaned it and shot .327 inch group at 300 yds Played at 300 yds 2 or 3 more groups all vary good under inch. Time for the long range shooting said the man. A little check of the weather conditions witch were good. A quick look a the chart and a adjustmemt of 23.25 moa. and the frist shot hit the target a little low and left adding 1 more moa. in elevation and a half moa. to the right. The next 5 shots were in a 5 inch. group at 1140 yds. Did it two more times that day.
smile.gif
grin.gif
cool.gif
. the falling week took it out to a 300 yds range good conditions that day and shot many sub 1 inch groups at 300 yds. All i can say is that defensive edge biulds a hell of a gun. : By the way the scope is a nightforce 5.5x22x50
cool.gif
Thanks Shawn great gun
smile.gif

Wow, that sounds like one Hell of a great Ultra long range hunting gun.
Never understood why Rem made the 338 RUM brass .1" shorter than the 300 & 375.

What is the kick like?
There is an interesting review of this gun at:
Defensive Edge 338 Ultra+

The author shoots 250 grain Sierra MatchKing s. I'm hoping to get good groups in my new 338 RUM with 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. Do you know how well your gun shoots 180gr?

The recoil is less than my model 7 in 260 rem. I am shooting a 300 gr. matchking at 2920 fps. I have not shot any lighter bullets but plan to in a week or two

BigBore,

When I built the first 338 EDGE that you read the article about, I loaded some 200 grain Nosler BT @ 3522 fps out of the 26" tube. I shot a deer at 315 yards with it. The shot was broadside hit a rib on the way in and never exited the deer. Small bullet frags were against the skin on the far side but never penetrated. The inside and most of the front quarter was cranberry sauced. (lesson learned). I never had a chance to get a LR shot maybe the lighter bullets would perform better at distance with the slower speeds. I believe that the Nosler 225 gr Accubond has some promise. I have gotten 3400+ out of the 30" tube, but have yet to field test them.

Shawn

Oh great

Turkey is a cookin and I get bored so I go online

I see this and now what...............I GOTTA HAVE ONE. Where can I find more info on this. What kind of time frame to have on built..

MTM...Thanks for making my mind wonder today
smile.gif

Shawn...Expect to hear from me soon

Joe

how long is the barrel on your edge Matt M ?
i am having one built as we speak with a 30" + (i say + cuz it will be probably 31.5" plus break) clay spencer barrel and am wondering what to expect...!
thanx
Brien

Brien,

Matt's is 30" + the integeral brake 31.5" OAL. You can expect 300 gr SMK's to go 2900-2950 with H1000. I got 3400 with some 225 Accubonds but was not wowed by the accuracy. Matt said he was using some 8700 and getting just over 3000 fps with it. Hope you like yours when you get it. Let us all know how it flys.

Got to shoot some sierra 250gr. spbt. gamekings only at a 100 yrs. but got 3198 fps. with good accuraty used 102 grs. of H1000. It was 38 degs. and 87% humidity /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Shawn,
I'm finding your 338 EDGE very enticing. I've been in process of building up a 338 RUM, (Rem action and Lilja 30" barrel) and I just received delivery of my reamer for 338 RUM with .250 freebore and match neck from Pacific Tool & Gauge. So I'm thinking about unloading my reamer and going for the EDGE.

Can you tell me about the dies? I picked up the Redding's Type-S Match Bushing Neck Die set in 338 RUM. Are they compatible? can I easily alter them? or do I need to get a set dedicated to the 338 Edge size (sorry for all of the questions but this would be my first wildcat).

Also, having studied the placement of a 300gr SMK in the shell has lead me to understand just how crammed the RUM's are in a Remington magazine, so I designed a floorplate and 5 round mag system that hold a 4" round. I have yet to find a manufacturer but I'll likely be posting the design on www.mfgquotes.com soon (3D IGES file). Do you think there would be any interest in such a setup?

JK

Don't sell your reamer just buy a 300 ultra go / no go guage. I like to fl resize mine and push the shoulder back only .003" or .004". The 338 ultra neck die will work. For full length Redding makes a 338-300 ultra dies already. I named it a 338 EDGE only to eliminate customer confusion about what could be fired in it. Your floor plate design sounds like the ones I have built for safari rifles flush with the trigger guard, all one piece bottom metal that holds 5-6 rounds + 1 depending on caliber. I know there is interest but how much I don't know. In the world of dangerous game hunting you can't hold to much ammunition as many PH's will tell you. I built several in 375 H&H.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.