338 edge and RE 50

Duramaxfxr

Does any one have experience with loading for the 338 edge with RE 50? I have about 5 lbs of the stuff and need to find somthing to do with it

I see no reason why you "can't" use it; however, my guess is that you'll run out of powder space well before finding usable velocity.

t

I would say the same, and keep in mind that most slow burners when not at peak pressure often become very dirty.

Does any one have experience with loading for the 338 edge with RE 50? I have about 5 lbs of the stuff and need to find somthing to do with it
You will not be able to reach anywhere near top working pressures with that powder before running out of case capacity. May be able to find a working load but likely loads would produce a great deal of carbon fouling because or the low pressure burning the powder inefficiently.

I'm rather compressed to get to pressure with a 300rum and a 225 using rl50. It takes 102 gr rl50 to get enough pressure to hit 3000 fps. I can't even fit the load in fresh rp brass without crushing kernels.
If you put a really heavy pill on it and stretch the c.o.a.l. out to max you may just gain enough capacity to get it running. I suspect rl33 or a bit faster powder would be better, but you can at least try. Worst case would be like Fiftydriver is saying and she burns dirty and inefficient.

I'm rather compressed to get to pressure with a 300rum and a 225 using rl50. It takes 102 gr rl50 to get enough pressure to hit 3000 fps. I can't even fit the load in fresh rp brass without crushing kernels.
If you put a really heavy pill on it and stretch the c.o.a.l. out to max you may just gain enough capacity to get it running. I suspect rl33 or a bit faster powder would be better, but you can at least try. Worst case would be like Fiftydriver is saying and she burns dirty and inefficient.
RL50 is great in my 338, but its a 338 Allen Mag 😳😁. She burns around 150 grains of it per trigger pull. RL33 would be good but a ghost at the moment. Retumbo may be the best but again, like everything pretty hard to track down right now…. 😡

RL50 is great in my 338, but its a 338 Allen Mag 😳😁. She burns around 150 grains of it per trigger pull. RL33 would be good but a ghost at the moment. Retumbo may be the best but again, like everything pretty hard to track down right now…. 😡
it all depends on when you stocked your pantry I guess. I've been trying to find a use for my Retumbo since I fried my lss 7rum. The new barrel doesn't really like the powder. I've also got a fair amount of rl33 but I got it at the tail end of the shortage 10 years back.
The o.p. might benefit from Ramshot Magnum if he can find it. It was decent with heavies years ago in my 300win when they called it Big Boy. RL seemed a touch better in my case so I went that way.