338 Edge Ackley?

no feathers ruffed here, just exchanging info with one another.

i'm no gunsmith either, but i did stay at a Holliday Inn...

yeah, i agree, it's Tyler's fault!

no feathers ruffed here, just exchanging info with one another.

i'm no gunsmith either, but i did stay at a Holliday Inn...

yeah, i agree, it's Tyler's fault!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------->>>>>>>>>Dave you are funny !!!!!!!!<<<<<<<<<<-----------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well if I wasn't on here at all hours of the night maybe I could study! I wanna make sure I get EVERYTHING exactly the best it can be for the price, as I won't have money for another custom rifle for a while, and I'm doubting dad will be forking out the dough for another.

Call Kevin Rayhill and talk to him about it , he is the guy that Fred Morro calls if he gets in a bind

That's hilarious :D You have been grossly misinformed and got that backwards. I'm not saying anything bad about Kevin here, he's no slouch, but there is quite the skill difference between the two.

... I don't see any logic behind this needing a .750" bolt ...

Well the bolt face rim would be a little thicker for one thing and since that is larger, the lugs would normally be larger as well and therefore be significantly stronger. Some smiths that build 338 lapuas out of savages don't understand this. As far as Remington making a 338 Lapua mag out of their 700, well just ask top gunsmiths their take on it. Dan Lilja is an engineer and wrote his educated opinion in his website long before remington decided to try it.

Well the bolt face rim would be a little thicker for one thing and since that is larger, the lugs would normally be larger as well and therefore be significantly stronger. Some smiths that build 338 lapuas out of savages don't understand this. As far as Remington making a 338 Lapua mag out of their 700, well just ask top gunsmiths their take on it. Dan Lilja is an engineer and wrote his educated opinion in his website long before remington decided to try it.

Dan'a article also stated the following about the 700 Action being used for the Lapua sized cases.

"But someone wanting to use a Remington could argue that the Weatherby MK 5 action has the same barrel thread size as the Remington".

How many decades has a Mark V action been used for these sizes cases? Also the fact that there are a lot of 700's chambered in 338 Lapua as well as 30-378, 338-378, etc. that are performing without problems as well as the fact that Remington also chambers the 700 in 338 Lapua should be proof enough that the 700 works just fine, no matter how much OPION to the contrary.
According to Bounty Hunter remington has tested the 700 action chambered in 338 Lapua to 100,000 PSI with out a failure, seems to me that is alomost 36,000 PSI ove CIP pressure spec for the cartridge and should put the nay sayers to rest.

Last edited:
In the last year I have built several 338 Edge AIs. There is a minute increase in case capacity, which effects nothing in reality for increased velocity, the 40 degree shoulder I had Manson Reamers put on my reamer, makes case trimming virtually unnecessary.
Getting 10 or 11 reloadings before needing to be trimmed seems to be the norm.
I just wish Nosler brass was more readily available here.

The 338 Lapua AI gains about 9% case capacity, I have built many of these and shoot 1 personally, again case trimming is redundant, I currently have 15 reloadings on my brass and it is still going strong.
The Lapua really is "improved" by improving it. I shoot 300 gr SMKs and average velocity is 3050 fps.

I was told 338 Edge gets horrible brass life today. I also shot a 338 Lapua on a Weatherby Mark V action, and a 30-378 Weatherby on the Vanguard action. Is a trued up Vanguard action going to shoot well? Could be semi-cheap, and looks like it will handle a 338 Lapua AI. I'm leaning towards the Lapua now for case life, it will be cheaper if I get a ton of firings from the Lapua instead of a couple from the Edge.

I was told 338 Edge gets horrible brass life today. I also shot a 338 Lapua on a Weatherby Mark V action, and a 30-378 Weatherby on the Vanguard action. Is a trued up Vanguard action going to shoot well? Could be semi-cheap, and looks like it will handle a 338 Lapua AI. I'm leaning towards the Lapua now for case life, it will be cheaper if I get a ton of firings from the Lapua instead of a couple from the Edge.

In my experience brass life depends alot on how much you size or work it.
I use only bushing dies from Redding and have had great suucess with case life on the Edge AI.
I will admit I prefer the Lapua, as high quality brass is much more readily available.
To build a cost effective 338LAI why not find a Remington 700P in 338 Lapua and rebarrel it?
That way you have the action that needs no modification, decent botom metal and a HS stock that can be altered or replaced if you don't like the fit and feel.

Tyler, here is what I said again about the .338 edges.

With a couple of my friends rifles when loaded to just over 3000 fps using Rem brass and a 300 smk they were only getting a couple loading from the brass as the primer pockets were loosening. As they started to combat this and reduce charge weight it wasn't until they got to the 2800 range they saw any relief of this problem. That is pretty close to where my Lapua pushes them and will shoot out to a little past 2100 yrda. This was the reason I chose the Lapua. Better brass was available, and for me either chambering will will do the same thing. We are all using Redding comp dies with the S bushing.

Also the 30-378 I built is on a stainless Mark V action. It is my 6mm/284 that is on a Vanguard action.

Jeff

Shoot, I thought it was the 30-378. Would the Vanguard action handle the Lapua? There's a pretty sweet rig in the classifieds using the Vanguard/Howa action.

That is a Q for the Smiths here. I don't know what the limits of the Vanguard action would be. But the Mark V is pretty tough.:)

Jeff

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.