338-378 weatherby

enigma

I'm just getting into reloading what have people found to be the best powder to use in this gun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif?I will be reloading 200gr BST bullets.I'm thinking of useing imr 7828 powder.

I would try the following powders;
RL 22
H1000
RETUMBO

Good luck with your load work up. The 338-378 is one serious round. Can you give us the specs of your rifle and what you will be doing with her. I know one thing you will be using her for and that is shooting very very far. Have fun!!!

Wildcat

enigma

My bro has an accumark that does really well with 225 gr. accubonds and a healthy dose of 7828...I believe about 109.0 grs.

Just thought you might want to know...he had some 200 BT's but didn't have much luck with them.

I'm using the Barnes top book load on their 225 TSX bullet. 115 grains of RL-25 goes 3300+ and is grouping 3 shots cutting if I let it cool before the 3rd shot is taken. 7828 might work with the lighter bullet. On the 225's the ES was all over the place with 7828.

Get a box of 300Mk bullets, use Retumbo powder(99.0grns, your gun maybe different start lower), push them around 2750fps. I had a friend that used the 200BT, they shoot good, but not at long ranges. It took much arm twisting to get him to try the Sierra 300MK bullets. After testing the loads and clover leaf groups at 500yds he never looked back. The following year on a elk hunt in Wyo, he took a very nice 6x6 at 575yds, one shot, the elk walked 30 yards and that was that.

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
Get a box of 300Mk bullets, use Retumbo powder(99.0grns, your gun maybe different start lower), push them around 2750fps. I had a friend that used the 200BT, they shoot good, but not at long ranges. It took much arm twisting to get him to try the Sierra 300MK bullets. After testing the loads and clover leaf groups at 500yds he never looked back. The following year on a elk hunt in Wyo, he took a very nice 6x6 at 575yds, one shot, the elk walked 30 yards and that was that.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been waiting on someone to say that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Welcome to the forum, enigma!
Man, what do you want to do with those 200 grainers? I'm thinking red mist on anything smaller than a moose!
I don't load for the 338-378 but I would definitely suggest a heavier bullet to buck the wind better and produce better terminal performance. The Nosler 225 gr Accubond shoots great out of my 338RUM and I would think that it would be the lightest bullet you would want to consider using out of your cannon.
Good luck!
Sam

I have a weatherby accumark 28 inch barrel I will be shooting whitetail deer at ranges from 200yards to 600 yards a open field is what I hunt, I have a swarovski PH rifle scope 6-24AO TDS-4.I had a 30-378 I shot 180gr barnes x bullet out of it I did not like them for long range deer hunting.How about a hornady spire point, Hack I don't know.

What BlackDiamond said, with emphasis!!!

A 200 grain bullet in any 338 magnum is just pecker wood. Besides that they have itty bitty parachutes that open out there just a little ways. 225s are minimal and 250s bring the 338s into their own. W/your cartridge I'm w/BD 100%.

Just MO but its a good one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How about an 250gr nosler spitzer.I've never reload before it's tough as far as the right bullet and right powder for whitetail hunting with this gun.

A 250grn bullet would be the lightest i would ever go in a large 338mag. The only way your going to know is try them in your gun. Remember your going after smaller game, light fast bullets will do lots of damage at the ranges your speaking of. Don't be scared of the large bullets, they are made for good accuracy at longer distances. 338-378wby is a large game rifle, with any bullet you choose for deer sized targets there will be issues with bullet expandsion. Go with a good high BC match bullet, the 250MK or 300MK from Sierra, you have a gun that is capable of 1000yd kills, with these bullets your gun is used to its full capacity. I said it in a earlier post, 300MK all the way. Work up one good load and stay with it.

Dave

I have tryed 250 grain Nosler Partition Gold and Norma MRP-2 powder. Group not les than 6".

Any sugestion what to doo.

I am new here, Sorry my bad English. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.