338/300 RUM Bullpup - Posted for Dave Wilson

Bob, you're not the first person to tell me my mind is thinking a little differently than most. thank you.

as i said, i'm not convinced you're any safer behind the action than you are on top of it, in the case of catastrophic failure.

James,how long is that gun of yours? mine is 40" with a 29" barrel, and it can be carried around in our woods very nicely.even when you have it on your shoulder it carries well because the center of gravity is lower. that's why i built it.

Once again, someone has failed to hit that dang quarter!

Nice shooting. It is quite common for groups to get smaller as the range gets longer. It is cause when youre using a bullet that is slightly over spun at first. After it slows down a bit, to an RPM it likes, it goes to sleep causing it to settle down for lack of a better term. I had one load that refused to group below 1 MOA out to 600 yards yet at 1000 they were between 3.5" and 5".

Again, nice shooting!

mines just shy of 53", wouldn't mind one like that in a 338 edge for my next build, who could I talk to about the intregal scope mount bedding block, may start getting the parts togather for a bullpup 34" barreled "way cool" 338 edge. may also pick your brain on the mid. trigger conversion later on.
JS

James, for any information about this gun, you could talk to me.i designed and had everything built myself.the bedding block is the cornerstone of the whole thing.it's glued on the barrel,incorporates the recoil lug,scope base, and bracket to hold the trigger. i didn't use a regular lug that would be like one used on the xp-100's.i'm sure it would work,i'm told they can handle heavy recoiling calibers.something just bothered me about a recoil lug with basically 2 contact points,so i put a 1" square block on the bottom towards the front of the block.this is also a stronger area of the stock as i have an extra groove going under the action and barrel for the trigger linkage.i was concerned with the cross-sectional strength of the stock in this area.another plus is i have a single shot with bottom metal so there is more wood in that area.this gun could be made quite a bit lighter and a little more slender.i made everything on the heavy/large side as i was trying to get as much accuracy as i could.the barrel is 1.36 for 3" in front of the receiver, 1.20" for the length inside the block and tapers to .825 at the muzzle.the barrel O.D. dictates the block size and the block determines the stock width.there's only 18" of barrel hanging in front of the block that's unsupported,that's including the brake.i looked at this as another plus for accuracy since i don't have to hang a big barrel off the receiver. obviously a much lighter contour could be used but as i said,i made everything on the heavy side.i also know a 15 pounder has a better chance of being a good shooter than an 11! maybe when i get back from hunting elk this fall,please let me draw,please let me draw, i'll be building the light version!

Nice¡

Once thing is for sure... shooting in cold weather is a plus since you may warm your cheek easily /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dave, would an ADL repeating assembly be possible or does that interfere with the trigger linkage? or could the stock be beefed up a little on the right side to add a recess alongide the mag box? (mine would be left hand configuration) No big deal, have only needed a second shot once and that deer was about 60 yds.are the reciever screws used at all? just trying to figure out what keeps it togather. Just trying to line up things while saving money, Boy am I gonna be in the doghouse....again, well still!
JS

James, if you look at the last picture you can see the top of a flathead screw just behind the end of the bolt.normally the screw comes up from the bottom into the tang of the receiver which is tapped.i'm coming down from the top with a flathead screw into a pillar which is threaded for it. the second screw holding it in is located on the bottom of the recoil lug.the lug is 1" square on the bottom, towards the front of the bedding block.

as for a repeater it could be done but i didn't want to bother with it.my trigger linkage runs right under the receiver and it has to be stiff for a good trigger pull.my thoughts would be to make a linkage that would wrap completely around the outside of the mag box.of course it couldn't touch it.i would try to make a box that was as slender as possible.one plus is the stock is very beefy in this area and you have some wood to work with.like you said it could be made as thick as necessary.

give me a call,i'll be around tonite or most any night and i can probably talk you through most details.i only live about 2 hrs drive from you,just above Hagerstown, Md.come on up and pop a few rounds. why am i sensing another wife is gonna be angry with me?

717-597-7027 [email protected]

James

What Roy did was glue in a bench rest follower to convert his repeater action to a single shot in case you don't know how to make the conversion.

[ QUOTE ]
James

What Roy did was glue in a bench rest follower to convert his repeater action to a single shot in case you don't know how to make the conversion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kept getting confused when ordering the followers and got the one that is inserted above the magazine follower WHICH IS THE WRONG ONE, twice. I finally talked with Kirby who had glued one in my AM and ordered another for the 338 from him. He makes them himself and knows which one to order. Cost is about 25 bucks + S&H. Just marine-tex or jb weld it in.

If anyone wants a follower that keeps the cartridge centered I have two new/unuse ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Well Dave, it's finally finished and I don't know who's happier me or you...

Congratulations, you constructed a fine rifle. I really thought you were going off the deep end when you told me about this "idea" you had last year. You persisted and it all came together.

I just want the members to know that all I did was duplicate Dave's hand carved pattern for his stock. I supplied the pattern wood, but he was the one that used hand tools to shape it. I spent some time on the milling machine with his pattern to get the inlet just right, but not near the time he spent with sandpaper and chisels.

Well done, my friend.

i happen to know that Joel doesn't have the pattern,but he can get his hands on it easy enough.don't know if he can do a mirror on that duplicator or not. he'll have to answer that.if he can't, i'll give you what's left of the last can of auto-body puddy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.