30_30 imp

Maybe just try to find a 14" barrel for it. That'd give ya maybe 100 to 200 fps, more than the 10" , depending on the bullet loaded. Not sure how rare those are these days but, somebody probably makes em still.

30-30AI is one of the best things you can do with a 30-30
The increase in velocity is more about pressures than capacity
With an AI, case life is far better at max pressure
Many reloaders run the AI to levels what the gun is designed for.

Reaming a Single Shot rimmed cartridge is dead simple
Buy a reamer, do it yourself, sell the reamer, and it'll cost you under $50

Anyone who poopoo's your idea has no experience with this concept.

New dies. More bullets, powder and primers to fireform. Gunsmith fees. Reamer cost. Compared to the price of a new barrel in the caliber you might like better? Your choice of being cost effective or not.

I use lee dies that only touch the neck
I have never needed to FL size as I don't use max loads all the time but dies are not that expensive. We think nothing of buying a set to dedicate to a rifle, what's a few $ more?
I fireform with RedDot/BullsEye and COW
Cost is negligible
I have to fireform all my new brass for every rifle I shoot anyway so I fail to see how this is considered an additional expense beyond the norm
With the 30-30, there is no need to pay anybody as this conversion is dead simple
Reamers can be rented or bought/sold for minimal cost

30-30AI in a short barreled rifle cartridge gun, it does get much better!

I have a 10" 30-30 barrel and am considering making it imp, is it worth it in such a sort barrel?
I am sure you would see some improvement.
I have no idea in that length barrel, as I have no experience with 10" barrels.
I would get a 14-15" barrel from Bullberry or MGM in 30-30AI and enjoy a whole new performance level compared to a 10" 30-30.
Then you can decide if you want to sell the 10" barrel or keep it.

I have a 10 30-30 barrel and am considering making it imp, is it worth it in such a sort barrel?
Yes it's worth it. Ballisticslly, you will gain significant velocity.

I had a 14" 30 Herrett I had rechambered to 30-30AI. I was very glad I did.

I never leaned on mine hard, and only ever shot one load from the 30-30AI. My load pushed a Nosler 150 BT at 2400 fps MV, and did so accurately, with sub 3/4" groups at 100 meters.

Edit to add: just noticed the 10" bbl length. I wouldn't do it on a 10" barrel.

I have a 10 30-30 barrel and am considering making it imp, is it worth it in such a sort barrel?
I had a 336 done some years ago.I never saw more than 50 fps difference in the factory chambering.I sold it to a buddy because he loves anything Ackley.As far as I know he still has it and I don't regret selling it

Yes it's worth it. Ballisticslly, you will gain significant velocity.

I had a 14" 30 Herrett I had rechambered to 30-30AI. I was very glad I did.

I never leaned on mine hard, and only ever shot one load from the 30-30AI. My load pushed a Nosler 150 BT at 2400 fps MV, and did so accurately, with sub 3/4" groups at 100 meters.

Edit to add: just noticed the 10" bbl length. I wouldn't do it on a 10" barrel.
What kind of Gaines did you get from the 30-30 Ackley,I never got more than 50 fps extra from the one I had.

What kind of Gaines did you get from the 30-30 Ackley,I never got more than 50 fps extra from the one I had.
Mine was never a 30-30 (it was a 30 Herrett) so I can't give exact gains from that barrel. However using Hornady load data for the Contender 30-30 data I was getting 300+ fps increase.

In fact, Hornady's data shows only 1900 fps with 150's. I was getting just under 2400 fps (2385 fps instrumental velocity - puts it right at 2394-2395 fps MV as I set mine up at 18 ft).

The 30-30 Improved is hot in the heals of the 309 JDJ ballistically, though the 309 JDJ would have the edge in heavier bullets in terms of speed.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I like the handiness of 10" barrel, I have a few other tender 14" barrels(not in 30-30) and some 15" encores. As for rechambering , or the expense of it, that is negligeneble to me, because I could either rent or make a reamer and new dies are welcome here, either bought or made. I was thinking the 10" barrel would be too short to burn it all. I should of been more clear in my post. Thanks again.

I made a 30-30AI a few years back on a Marlin levergun. My original goal was to maintain traditional velocities from a 16" barrel, which it does very well. Then I discovered the Lever Hammer…
Good luck. It's a fun road to travel

Attachments

• IMG_8853.jpeg
    IMG_8853.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_8063.jpeg
    IMG_8063.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 88
I made a 30-30AI a few years back on a Marlin levergun. My original goal was to maintain traditional velocities from a 16" barrel, which it does very well. Then I discovered the Lever Hammer…
Good luck. It's a fun road to travel
Nice picture!!!
This thread made me remember I have a 25-35 improved reamer and dies sitting waiting to be used🤦🏻‍♂️