308 Win vs 6.5 Creedmoor

i am not a fan of highly compressed loads so SB6.5 would be off the list for me until i have tested it which i have not.
powders like.
RL15
RL17
A2520 / SW match rifle
H414 / W760
should be able to get you to 2500+ without being highly compressed.
based on 3.320 with your 205 SBD2 and quickload calibrated to my gun, used .275 boattail length as a rough guess based on the original bulldozers having longer boattails and trying to keep as much usable capacity as possible.
RL-17 seems to be pretty popular in different treads, i might give it a try when i get a chance with 200 and 208s. I don't have the twist to even think about the 205s.
3.320 kind of defeats the purpose of running a .308 doesn't it?

Our .308 cal. 175 gr BD2 bullet has a BC equivalent to the 140gr Berger, and I think can be launched at the same speed. As far as the most efficient.264 bullet Hornady makes a 153 gr .264 bullet with a G7 BC of 0.358 and we make a 135 gr .264 BD2 copper bullet with a G7 BC also of 0.358, so in terms of BC/grain the 135 gr BD2 bullet would be the most efficient. Look at the posts above. We are going to try and see how well our heavier .308 bullets with higher BCs will perform from a 24" .308 Win. The Hodgdon Annual Manual for 2022 suggests that CFE223 has the best speed for a 200 gr AFrame at 2580 fps, so propelling our 195 gr BD2 bullet with a G7 of 0.347 would at that speed would not be unreasonable to try. You are probably correct that we may not be able to equal the 135gr .264 SBD2 in the Creed, but with the tricks discussed above for the 308 Win we may be able to equal it using our 205 gr SBD2.308 bullet. We will have to see.

I prefer the 6.5, but I've never been a 308 guy. I shot a 30-06 for a long time though and it never left me stranded.

both will do fine, I gravitate toward the 6.5 because I'll take the easier spotting for anything I would be using either for. Im grabbing a 300 magnum for the bigger stuff anyway might as well use a 6.5 for the rest

Our .308 cal. 175 gr BD2 bullet has a BC equivalent to the 140gr Berger, and I think can be launched at the same speed. As far as the most efficient.264 bullet Hornady makes a 153 gr .264 bullet with a G7 BC of 0.358 and we make a 135 gr .264 BD2 copper bullet with a G7 BC also of 0.358, so in terms of BC/grain the 135 gr BD2 bullet would be the most efficient. Look at the posts above. We are going to try and see how well our heavier .308 bullets with higher BCs will perform from a 24" .308 Win. The Hodgdon Annual Manual for 2022 suggests that CFE223 has the best speed for a 200 gr AFrame at 2580 fps, so propelling our 195 gr BD2 bullet with a G7 of 0.347 would at that speed would not be unreasonable to try. You are probably correct that we may not be able to equal the 135gr .264 SBD2 in the Creed, but with the tricks discussed above for the 308 Win we may be able to equal it using our 205 gr SBD2.308 bullet. We will have to see.
Run a case full of rl-26 behind that 135 in a creed. You'll be very suprised what the velocity will be I bet. I dont have any experience loading monos but in a 26in barrel I can easily break 2900 with 140 cup n cores

i am not a fan of highly compressed loads so SB6.5 would be off the list for me until i have tested it which i have not.
powders like.
RL15
RL17
A2520 / SW match rifle
H414 / W760
should be able to get you to 2500+ without being highly compressed.
based on 3.320 with your 205 SBD2 and quickload calibrated to my gun, used .275 boattail length as a rough guess based on the original bulldozers having longer boattails and trying to keep as much usable capacity as possible.
RL-17 seems to be pretty popular in different treads, i might give it a try when i get a chance with 200 and 208s. I don't have the twist to even think about the 205s.
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I have H414 and A2520. I'll try both of them. The boat tails on the BD2 bullets are all 1 caliber.

All this racing paper over which 4 banger Honda Civic is faster - they're both overrated mid-range cartridges with cult-like followings that act like cats and dogs about it. The 260 Rem guys and the 30-06 guys can all hang out sip whisky together, but we can't have nice things around here because as soon as the little fart-can case guys show up someone's mullet is getting called a man-bun and then we'll all have to listen about the magic wall at 800 yards that swats 308s from the sky like gnats.

I shoot them both, they both make bullets do bullet things when they hit, they both work to the extent they're capable of. They each have a weight/range/bullet design where one works better than the other for me. It's when margins start getting pushed it all falls apart, and everyone needs to take a step back and realize these aren't magnums and will never perform on the level of any of the multitude of larger cases. If 200 FPS is an absolute deal breaker, step up in case size. Cut off the man bun and buy a 300 WM. Put away your Woodstock shirt and Birkenstocks and get a 6.5 PRC. If you put the right bullet into any case (and shoot them at sane targets), they'll kill things dead. None of these will drop a moose in his socks at 3,864 yards like the internet claims.

3006.jpg

Certainly no expert, but 5-600 yards seems to be the point where the 6.5 begins to take over. Inside of that, I'm uncertain that there is enough ballistic advantage to make the 308 worth the extra recoil. Its simply that the 6.5 was designed well from the beginning to be a relatively low recoil long range cartridge and the rifles were barreled with the appropriate twist rates to do so. For the case capacity, the 308 would be severely handicapped to run bullets with similar BC's and SD's at the same velocities. I like both cartridges and each has its place.
Been shooting .308 for almost 49 years now. Never had to.make a shot over 500. If I needed to, I would probably use my '06. Recoil is not an issue for me. But it is for some. Having said that, the 6.5 is a great cartridge. It does buck wind better at range. You never said where you intend to shoot (weather considered) or what you want to shoot. What say you!

Been shooting .308 for almost 49 years now. Never had to.make a shot over 500. If I needed to, I would probably use my '06. Recoil is not an issue for me. But it is for some. Having said that, the 6.5 is a great cartridge. It does buck wind better at range. You never said where you intend to shoot (weather considered) or what you want to shoot. What say you!

The difference in trajectories between the 6.5 Creed and the 308 Win is simply bullet BC. The 308 bullets have to be heavier and longer to attain the same BCs one gets with 6.5 cal bullet because of the larger cross sectional of the .308. When a 6.5 and a .308 bullets that have the same BC are fired at the same speed, they follow the same trajectory, that includes wind drift. Check this out with your ballistic calculator. The 308 will have more energy because of its greater weight. Low BC bullets are inefficient because they have greater drag and lose their energy imparted to them by the gun powder at a faster rate than the more efficient low drag high BC bullets.

any excuse to get a new gun, barrel, or bullets to try is a good excuse no matter how farfetched it might seem to others.
Honey, i need a new gun because these bullets don't fit in the magazine sounds totally reasonable to me.
You should add " because they are better bullets Honey" 😂