308 vs 300 win mag out to 400-500yards

308 vs 300win mag under 500 yards on deer

Votes: 48 56.5%
  • 300win mag

Votes: 37 43.5%

• Total voters
wow the 300 win is now in the lead. I wonder if I said 300-400 yards instead would the 308 be dominating...or would people still bring the big dog out haha

The 308 might be a little easier on some of the 'softer' bullets inside 500 yards.

If you look at 500 yard terminal ballistics, the 308 driflts a bit more,but not by much, and still delivers nearly 2000 ft-lbs of energy on target.

I shoot the 208 AMax at 2600 fps in my 308. Here's how it stacks up to the same 208 at 3000 fps from a 300 WinMag, at 500 yards, 4000' asl,

Retained velocity: 2068/2420 fps
Retained energy: 1974/2704 ft-lbs
10 mph drift: 12.2"/10.0"
drop (100yd zero): 10.50/7.50 moa

I chose .308 Win, because it's a phenomenal caliber for inside of 500 yard hunting. The old tried & true .30-06 is also a great caliber for sub-500 yard deer.

If you just want the extra horsepower, the .300 WM is a great caliber, too. And will definitely hit with more authority than the other 2.
What he said.:D

I am in my big and bigger magnum phase so my 308 is being turned into a 308/26-Nosler. More than a WM or Wby and less than a RUM.

But If I had my 308 working, it's a very appropriate tool for the job.

Ok guys I know a 308 would be fine out to 400 and peobably 500 yards on deer but which caliber would you get for inside 500 yards between the two? Obviously most would say the recoil of the 300 is not needed for those ranges(lets pretend neither have muzzle brakes). I just cant help myself and grab the 300 cannon even at shorter distances of 200 yards haha so I wanted to see what most you on here would grab for these distances...please vote between the two calibers listed but feel free to post any calibers other than these on the thread itself :)
My preference for shorter ranges is either the .264wm or .260 Rem.

The .308 is more than adequate for deer at those ranges for sure.

What he said.:D

I am in my big and bigger magnum phase so my 308 is being turned into a 308/26-Nosler. More than a WM or Wby and less than a RUM.

But If I had my 308 working, it's a very appropriate tool for the job.
At these ranges there is no mistake in choosing any one of those three. Same bullet, same great ballistics, just different velocities.

Dead is dead, we worry a whole lot more about what to shoot than the critters we are aiming at do.

Both are adequate for deer. I choose my .308 because it shoots better than my 300.
I would choose the more accurate rifle. If you dont get the bullet in the right place its all for nothing. I'm not a fan of wounded animals.

I own and love a 300WM. I do not and have never owned a 308. I voted 308, for the range specified. Personally I'd go 243AI though.

I've used the 300WM at those ranges when I had to. It works fine but it's just so overkill for deer at that range. I let a guy shoot a 160 inch buck with my rifle at 400 yards one time...he took a Texas heart shot I was NOT happy he took...I was not there when they cleaned it but I was told by those who were that "they'd never seen an animal that destroyed inside". Apparently the 200AB destroyed everything up to the front of the chest cavity.

For me the 300WM is great when you get north of 500 yards or step up in big game. For the situation described I'm happy to lighten up both the weight of the gun carried and the recoil.

When I attended the 406 Precision shooting course in June I was loaned one of their awesome 308 rifles that Snowy MTN rifles built. It may not have been the biggest, flattest or sexiest gun there bit the targets couldn't tell the difference. I was hitting bull eyes in the steels with that rifle. Even hit the plate out to 1170. I guess the intended target and purpose would be the deciding factor.

I have both....both are custom built rifles.

My 300 has a brake, and comes in around 11 pounds, so recoil is minimal.

For anything 500 yards and in, I pack my .308.

As someone else said, with todays tech, the .308 Win is formidable and is deadly on just about any game animal out there.

With 168 grain bullets, I can shoot 1/2 MOA out to 200 yards if I do my part.

Great round, and even better round if you hand load.

I have both. Built by the same gunsmith. I would use the 300 WM because I have more confidence in it. They would both work, however the 300 shoots flatter and has a bit more mass when it gets there. (168 ' s in 308 and 190's in the 300).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.