308 bullet choise

For Southern Deer hunting

The 130gr Barnes TTSX would be excellent

Very accurate
Low Recoil
Minimum meat loss

Suggest CFE223 powder with the bullet in the 308 Win.
A excellent bullet for deer in the 308 Win.

Just finished load development on a customer rifle, Winchester model 70. We decided on the Hammer Hunter 152 grain for his application. Similar to yours. Loaded it with CFE-223 to 3050fps with single digit es. Have not taken it out to test drops but should be just fine with how consistent it developed.

The Hammers will work great for your deer and if you ever got the opportunity to hunt larger animals you would be just fine. No need to go find another option.

Steve

My son and I have had good results using 165gr Nosler Ballistic tips fired from an AR-10 platform rifle.

We cannot get the speed from a gasser like a bolt action can so we decided to give the BT's a try.

My rifle gets about 2600fps and my son's rifle will get about 2700fps and the BT's penetrate and expand well at those velocities on deer to 400 yards so far.

After a couple years of shooting the BT's at game animals, I have enough confidence in the bullet to use the same load for an elk if I ever run across one when I am out and about.

Good luck finding the bullet/powder load that works the best for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.