308 and 300wsm

chansen49

Do they use the same bullet? Are there big differences between reloading the two? I will follow books, internet loads etc.. Any advice would be helpfull/

Chris

The bullets for each are the same size. 30 caliber or 0.308" The cases are the same length but the 300 wsm is much fatter. Reloading is very different. As a general rule you will use slower powders and much more of it for the 300 wsm.

That much I did know, but the bullets themselves can be used for both? I have a box of hornady 168 grain boattail .30 caliber.. So, different powders... Same primers?

Chris

yes, bullets will work in both calibers, but depending what you are using them for, you might want to think about other grain bullets. I try to stick with 165/168 gr bullets in my 308 and 180's in my wsm, for deer hunting. I have had 165's in my wsm, on a close deer shot, come apart and not penetrate completely. 308 is a large rifle primer and wsm is a large rifle magnum primer. jim

yes, bullets will work in both calibers, but depending what you are using them for, you might want to think about other grain bullets. I try to stick with 165/168 gr bullets in my 308 and 180's in my wsm, for deer hunting. I have had 165's in my wsm, on a close deer shot, come apart and not penetrate completely. 308 is a large rifle primer and wsm is a large rifle magnum primer. jim

Thanks for that.. I need some large rifle magnum primers now.... Are they even available?
The 300wsm isnt for hunting yet, and then I would buy factory ammo.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts