300wsm or 270wsm

Deer are not made of steel so a 300 will not kill a deer any quicker than a 270 wsm. If your bullet hits were it is supposed to you won't tell the difference. I own both the 270 and 300 wsm both in Tikkas. The 300 comes out for elk and the 270 for deer. My 300 shoots 168 ttsx at 3250 and my 270 wsm shoots a 129lrx at 3415fps both rl17. Both are point and shoot to 400yrd and farther than that the turrets are used. Both are zeroed at 200 yards. Just a notice to any who plan on coming to Canada for cold weather hunts, the tips on the lrx will break off in the cold. It just happened to me 2 days in a row and I missed a wolf because of it.

Yes my .308 Winchester and 7x57 as well as my 7mm Remington mag support what you said, and all three shoot bughole groups out to as far as i choose to use them on deer, elk and even wolves hete in northeast British Columbia.

Interesting comment on the bullet tips breaking. Were the rounds seated to long for your magazine so tips might be damaged, or do you figure cycling the action to load a shell from the magazine to the chamber was the reason? The reason i asked is that i use the 155, 168 and 178 grain Hornady A-Max bullets and while i have not had that happen, it would bug me if it did.
Only -16 Celcius here today so not bad, but could change any time now for colder times are just ahead.
My oldest son shot a big black wolf a week ago. He had Barnes TSX 180 grains with him. The bullet passed through like a pencil poked him leaving pin hole coming and exiting. The wolf walked slowly nearly 80 metersbefore laying down and dying. Hisdistance was under 100 meyers when he shot it quartering away, right behind the shoulder. Ruined not a bit of the pelt but not a fast kill.
Mine this year were each shot from 150, 280 and 455 meters using the 155 gr hdy A-Max in the .308 Win, and were instant kills. Now i gotta wait until the New yearto shoot more

post_old.gif
07-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Im planning on buying my father a precise superior rifle he can really enjoy
Originally wanted to buy a .7mm wsm but I know bullets are getting scarce. So looking at the 300wsm or 270wsm Ive been looking at the Browning A bolt Medallion and the Savage 14/114 American Classic. Im looking for a strong name, accuracy, and seldom need of capability with knockdown power at 400yds. All we hunt with rifles are Whitetail with this being said I want him to enjoy the best rifle for our application, no matter the brand or price but, it must be wood grain.

lightbulbWhat did you end up getting for your father?lightbulb

Last edited:
Yes my .308 Winchester and 7x57 as well as my 7mm Remington mag support what you said, and all three shoot bughole groups out to as far as i choose to use them on deer, elk and even wolves hete in northeast British Columbia.

Interesting comment on the bullet tips breaking. Were the rounds seated to long for your magazine so tips might be damaged, or do you figure cycling the action to load a shell from the magazine to the chamber was the reason? The reason i asked is that i use the 155, 168 and 178 grain Hornady A-Max bullets and while i have not had that happen, it would bug me if it did.
Only -16 Celcius here today so not bad, but could change any time now for colder times are just ahead.
My oldest son shot a big black wolf a week ago. He had Barnes TSX 180 grains with him. The bullet passed through like a pencil poked him leaving pin hole coming and exiting. The wolf walked slowly nearly 80 metersbefore laying down and dying. Hisdistance was under 100 meyers when he shot it quartering away, right behind the shoulder. Ruined not a bit of the pelt but not a fast kill.
Mine this year were each shot from 150, 280 and 455 meters using the 155 gr hdy A-Max in the .308 Win, and were instant kills. Now i gotta wait until the New yearto shoot more
Well my bullets aren't seated too long they are 2.83" and there's a a little room left in the magazine. The first time it happened I spotted a black wolf maybe 50-75 yard away and I went to chamber a round and the bolt would not close fully. So after I watched the wolf run away it took a few minutes to find the problem and I found the tip was broke off and was in between the bolt face and the base of the cartridge. Then on the 2nd day it happened again but the tip was just sitting on top of the magazine.
I'm not sure what wound happen if the broken off tip was to get in the barrel ahead of the bullet and then I fired the gun? Thats my only concern on still using the lrx.

What action are you talking about with the tip breakage? If you are using a non-CRF action this could be a problem. I have had this happen in both my Weatherby Vanguard and in my 700 actions, both non-CRF (Push feed) actions.

Also, the PC (Polycarbonate) tips tend to be more brittle in colder weather IME, so combining the two leads to a lot of tip breakage if you aren't careful.

My $.02

I would certainly report this issue to the manufacturer as a potential safety warning if I were you.
Never had the issue myself but never say never....

Never been shooting/hunting sub 20f so this new.

Yes contact Hornady

I have a feeling they would just say "Don't use PC tipped bullets". I never had the issue in any of my Ruger 77s which are CRF bolt actions.

Mind you, this is anecdotal information from my own personal experience and I have broken a handful of tips in both rifles (Weatherby and Remington) when the bolts were cycled and perhaps did not engage the head of the round correctly or the tip was not properly aligned with the center of the bore as it was being chambered.

I avoid tip breakage when using PC tipped bullets now by simply being mindful when I am chambering a round and watching to be sure everything is engaged properly. Of course this does not allow for quick follow-up shots but I try to make the first one count so it's rarely an issue.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.