300rum

LongBomber

300rumcamorightside-1.jpg

My 300rum. Remington action, Lilja barrel, tuned factory trigger, Bushnell 4200 2.5-10, and a heck of an ugly paint job. I am waiting for a laminate stock (hopefully in 2 weeks) in royal camo. Right now it holds .3MOA out to 500 yards. I am just starting to stretch things out, getting 4.5-5 inch groups at 700 yards. Think I need a better scope/rings/bases to add some reach.

If you are shooting those groups at 700 with a 10x scope, you are doing very well.

That paint job doesn't look 'ugly', maybe it's just the picture, but I like the paint job. Also, any rifle that will shoot that well is plain old beautiful in my book!

AJ

I think the action squaring/trigger job and barrel was money well spent. I bedded the action into a cheap factory remington stock for now, couldn't wait for the laminate to show up. I'm glad it shoots as well as it does, proves to me that thier is a huge difference between what the factories put out and what you can have built.

For me 700 yards is a long poke for 10x, I would like to get a nightforce 5.5-22 and thier rings/rail. Just need to do some more saving.

The barrel is a 1-10twist 6 groove, finished out at 27". I had a local smith chamber (minimum spec), and square the action. I did the trigger work myself (trying to learn a little smithing) and the action bedding in the stock.

So far I have had the best success with 95gr retumbo behind a 200gr accubond, with a cci 250 primer in remington brass seated .010 off of the lands. I have tried the sierra 210gr matchking, and the groups under 300 yards are similar, but past 300 yards the accubond has an edge. I might try a little more tinkering with loads for the matchkings, and I also want to try some Berger VLD's. I would like to try the nosler brass as well, but components are difficult to get lately.

That is the same load (Accubond) I shoot in mine. I got my hands on some 208 Amaxs to try also. They are way cheaper than the Accubonds. I have not tried the Nosler brass, but I have heard it is way soft and your primer pockets will loosen up in a hurry. Mine shoots great with the Remington brass, so I have no reason to try. Of course unless Lapua comes out with some...

I made it out shooting last monday, here is my group from 900 yards. Fired prone off of a bipod, with a rear bag. The group is 8.075", There was an intermittent very slight breeze to the right. I was very happy, especially since at 10x all I was aiming at was the front half of the brown spot, as I couldn't definte any details on the deer.

900m300rum.jpg

The negative shows the bullet holes a little better

900m300rumnegative.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.