300 wsm vs 308 or other

can I ask what type of competition style shooting you do? Bench Rest? I am looking for a gun that I can shoot at 1000 yards at deer if it makes sense and at targets when I can...

what do you think about the 338 edge?

can I ask what type of competition style shooting you do? Bench Rest? I am looking for a gun that I can shoot at 1000 yards at deer if it makes sense and at targets when I can...

what do you think about the 338 edge?
I don't shoot competition and my longest kill was a 666 yard white tail doe with a 7 mm wildcat I invented; however, I just built a 338 / 300 RUM (338 Edge) that weighs around 20 pounds. 600 yards is a chip shot with 300 grain Sierra Matchkings at 2965 fps. It will make cloverleaves at 250 yards. In the right gun with a good brake, it is a very controllable, accurate, and deadly cartridge. The only reason I haven't made a kill in excess of 1/2 mile with this gun is lack of opportunity. Set up for long shots and they keep coming out at 150 yards!

has anyone mentioned the 6.5x284? or the 7mm dakota? if dude reloads, and wants to shoot comp/hunt. the 6.5 would be a great choice, and barrel life shouldn't be much worse than a standard 300wm. and both can be purchased here from long range rifles. jus sayin'.

Last edited:
I am sure that he has already bought his gun a long time ago. The last post on this thread is from 2007:D. If you look in the top left hand corner of each post, it shows the date that it was posted.

I haven't read all the posts, but here's a thought. Savage makes the perfect platform for situations just like this. You could keep 2 barrels floating around the house and have any caliber you want. You could have a 300 or 338 something with a break for hunting long range, and a 243-308 based cartridge for long range target and deer to 800yds. 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5x284, 7mm-08, 284 Winchester, 308 will all fit this requirement.

The reason for the Savage suggestion is that you can change the barrels in your own home. You can also buy the correct bolt face and install it yourself. It is quite simple and takes no time at all. The only thing you will need is the proper tools for taking the barrel off (less than $100). You will need a head space gauges for you chosen calibers as well. Just something to consider.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts