300 WSM loose Bullets

copper still

I had an issue while working up a load that I've never come across and thought I'd ask for some help.
I am using new Hornady brass and Barnes 168 TTSX bullets for my 300 WSM
I am full length resizing with a lee die.
I am using imperial wax
I resized the brass, measured length was right and chamfered in and out.
I then primed, charged and started seating the bullets with a lee die.
The goal was 2.860" and I getting the die set walking in the COAL when I got to 2.870".
The next little twist the bullet went to 2.850 so I used my bullet hammer and backed the bullet out a hair then backed off the die and repeated.
I got to about 2.870" and then the next adjustment it jumped to 2.850"
I tried a different case and bullet and the same issued happened.
I then examined both bullets and I could move them up and down in the expansion ring/cannelure on the bullet.
The lip of the brass was in the cannelure.
I pulled the bullets, emptied the brass of gunpowder and de-primed all my brass.
I figured that I must have done the resizing wrong.
I pulled the die apart and cleaned it.
I reset the sizing die with a 1/4 twist past it touching the ram, locked it down and double checked that it camed over a little.
Okay I thought that should fix it and resized all the brass.
This time before I primed the brass I took two brass randomly and tried seating again and the same problem happened.
They can be slid back and forth in the cannelure.
I am not sure what I'm doing wrong what do you suggest I do?
Cheers,
B

I had an issue while working up a load that I've never come across and thought I'd ask for some help.
I am using new Hornady brass and Barnes 168 TTSX bullets for my 300 WSM
I am full length resizing with a lee die.
I am using imperial wax
I resized the brass, measured length was right and chamfered in and out.
I then primed, charged and started seating the bullets with a lee die.
The goal was 2.860" and I getting the die set walking in the COAL when I got to 2.870".
The next little twist the bullet went to 2.850 so I used my bullet hammer and backed the bullet out a hair then backed off the die and repeated.
I got to about 2.870" and then the next adjustment it jumped to 2.850"
I tried a different case and bullet and the same issued happened.
I then examined both bullets and I could move them up and down in the expansion ring/cannelure on the bullet.
The lip of the brass was in the cannelure.
I pulled the bullets, emptied the brass of gunpowder and de-primed all my brass.
I figured that I must have done the resizing wrong.
I pulled the die apart and cleaned it.
I reset the sizing die with a 1/4 twist past it touching the ram, locked it down and double checked that it camed over a little.
Okay I thought that should fix it and resized all the brass.
This time before I primed the brass I took two brass randomly and tried seating again and the same problem happened.
They can be slid back and forth in the cannelure.
I am not sure what I'm doing wrong what do you suggest I do?
Cheers,
B
Measure a resized neck and a seated bullet dummy. I'll bet your dummy measures the same or just slightly less.

If that's the case your expander ball is oversize.

I hope you have a good set of calipers? One of the most important tools in reloading. Check a sized case to see if a bullet will slide in the case? also try seating a bullet partially and see if it is loose. If not then you might have your seating die set too deep into the press.
Happy reloading.
Henry

Good advice about calipers. If you're certain of what is happening and why, then you could alter the size of your expander. I wouldn't do that until I was very certain of all measurements.

Lee dies suck. Screwing the die in farther only pushes the shoulder back more. The expander ball is likely oversized. Also the ttsx dont have a cannelure. The grooves between the bands are there to reduce fouling and copper contact with the rifling.
I know its not a cannelure I just didn't remember the name for it.

As others have said measure your sized brass and measure a loaded round. Ideally you should have .002 or so difference. If it's less the expander is probably oversized slightly. You can also measure the expander.

Thanks for everyones advice here is what I have.
Neck OD before sizing .345"
Neck OD after .339
I checked a sized case to see if a bullet will slide in the case and it doesn't.
I also tried seating a bullet partially and see if was loose, it wasn't.
I seated the bullet and same thing happened I could move the bullet from 2.876-2.850
Measure a resized neck and a seated bullet dummy. I'll bet your dummy measures the same or just slightly less.

If that's the case your expander ball is oversize.
The Neck OD after seating the bullet is .339 so I might have a oversized expander ball.

What is the solution for this?
I went on Lee's sight and it looks like they have a solution but it looks to me that its only for neck sizing.
Cheers,
B

Neck OD after .339
I checked a sized case to see if a bullet will slide in the case and it doesn't.
I seated the bullet and same thing happened I could move the bullet from 2.876-2.850

The Neck OD after seating the bullet is .339 so I might have a oversized expander ball.

I went on Lee's sight and it looks like they have a solution but it looks to me that its only for neck sizing.
Cheers,
B
IMHO your best bet is to purchase a new set of dies. RCBS & Redding both have different size expander balls on the cheap (if need be).

Pull the expander button out of the die and size a dummy case. Measure the OD. Are you lubing the inside of the cases before sizing? If not do so and try again with a dummy case. Don't worry you have not ruined the cases. The seating die does not set up like a sizing die you don't screw it down to the shell holder. Leave about a nickel thickness between your seating die and the shell holder.

Neck OD after .339

Cheers,
B
You can chuck expander in a drill and sand it down lightly or you can buy a new set of dies.