300 wm ??

You don't need an 80 grain bullet.....you can use ANY bullet. If you have 180 NBT....use them. Or Sierra, or Berger........whatever you have on hand in whatever weight you have.

LOL, yes I realize this I simply suggested a 80 bullet because it was closest to the charge weight that was being used..:rolleyes:

I checked for myself your charge weight and bullet seating depth and you are correct that it's a slightly compressed load.

IMG00017-20100404-0851.jpg

The load is to the base of the shoulder.
IMG00018-20100404-0854.jpg

bullet seating depth set at 3.553 and you have a slightly compressed load
IMG00020-20100404-0856.jpg

The Hodgdon manual shows a max load of 79.0gr of H-1000 for a 200gr bullet; that is a compressed load as well so you are still within a safe range. as long as she shoots well with low ES, you are good to go.

TAC

Tac
your pictures are exactly what I found. Thank you guys so much for helping me and replying to my ??'s. I will post the results
happy Easter to all of you. Do you think that I can use 79 grn with the accubonds as well. My hogdon load Data says 77 grns is max for accubonds and 79 is max for partitions?

Darrin

Last edited:
I use the following load which is very accurate (.5 MOA to 500 yds.):

200grs Accubond
80.5grs H1000
CCI 250
WW case
3.509" OAL
26" barrel
Savage 112 BVSS
2935 fps

Moosetracker,

Do you find that that is a slightly compressed load? So 77grns is nowhere close to max load with my savage? I should be able to workup slowly above book max load of 77 grns? That is very promising. Have you noticed any pressure signs?

Darrin

Moosetracker,

Do you find that that is a slightly compressed load? So 77grns is nowhere close to max load with my savage? I should be able to workup slowly above book max load of 77 grns? That is very promising. Have you noticed any pressure signs?

Darrin

Yes, the load is slightly compressed. No signs of pressure. I use WW cases with an average internal volume of 92grs H2O. I'm running a SD of 12fps with 15 shots @ 55*F.

I was loading some 300 cases tonight and checked 77 gr of H-1000 in a WW, RP and a RWS case. All three were close to the same with the powder level being right at the bottom radious of the shoulder. With a 180 in my 7mm / 300 win or a 210 berger in my 300 win neither is compressed with my AOL.

Like I posted earlier, I have seen 77 gr be too hot in a few 300's with 210's. But 77 is safe in most. Just start low and work up.

Jeff

Haven't tried the H1000 yet. Have been using 70 grns of IMR4350 with a 250 mag behind a 200 accubond at 3050 and the pressure signs are just a slightly flattened primer. Shoots ragged hole three shot groups at 100. seventy one grains went 3130 fps, but we decided to go with the 70 grain load, slightly better grouping. This is out of a Browning stainless stalker with a boss.

Jeff,
I agree that 77 grns is to hot for some 300's. Bryan litz sent me the load data for all of the 30 cal bullets. He sugests that for the 210's 76.2 grns is max. However I do understand that most rifles can go above book max.

Darrin

So just got back to from the range and I have to say that 76 grn is to hot for my 300. I must have a very tight chamber. Two shots no problem on the third shot I had a sticky bolt and the primer came out of the primer pocket when I ejected the shell. I am going to try RL22 and see how that goes. In the nosler book 72.5 is max load and only 94% full. We will see how she goes.

Darrin

Darrin, that is pretty extreme. I have never seen one that was not completely happy with 74 gr. So 76 pushing a primer and the two prior were ok?? I would be for checking my scale for sure or borrowing one to compare.

JMO, be careful my friend.

Jeff

I will for sure be checking my scale. My uncle thought that because of the new brass that it could be a loose primer pocket. Don't know though. It was very easy to prime. It was not tight to put a primer in. That could be a problem as well

Darrin

I will for sure be checking my scale. My uncle thought that because of the new brass that it could be a loose primer pocket. Don't know though. It was very easy to prime. It was not tight to put a primer in. That could be a problem as well

Darrin
Like was said earlier.....just open a box of bullets a weigh a couple.....it takes 15 seconds.....then you will know if it is the scale. There is nothing worse than not being able to trust your components or equipment.

As far as the RL22.....All of the 300 win mags that I have loaded for LOVED it. Even if you get your H1000 / load density/ over PSI problems solved.....give it a try

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.