300 Varminter Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again you misconstrue the facts, someone else mentioned courts and I merely pointed out that when using reloads one would be hard pressed to prove that a KBoom was not the result of their reloads

In-reguards to the 700 Action
By Dan Lilja
"I think all of the custom actions designed for the big cases have a 1-1/8" diameter thread shank. Much better from my viewpoint. But someone wanting to use a Remington could argue that the Weatherby MK 5 action has the same barrel thread size as the Remington".

Last edited:
Bounty hunter, are you saying that you can load up one of your cases with wildcats recipe and fire it in your rifle? I dont think you are saying that, because I think you know better. However, there are others out there who are beginning this sport who do not know better. Go take a look at the blog you pointed to earlier, then scroll down to response number 10. I think that guy might be in danger of losing an eye and someone should let him know that that level of performance is only going to work in a rifle built especially for these hot loads. In my mind there should be a change made to that case or people shouldnt be spreading this info without some legally sufficient warnings.

Again you misconstrue the facts, someone else mentioned courts and I merely pointed out that when using reloads one would be hard pressed to prove that a KBoom was not the result of their reloads

In-reguards to the 700 Action
By Dan Lilja
"I think all of the custom actions designed for the big cases have a 1-1/8" diameter thread shank. Much better from my viewpoint. But someone wanting to use a Remington could argue that the Weatherby MK 5 action has the same barrel thread size as the Remington".

JWP

Totally agree, I have quoted Dan's article for years. Like I said I am "unseasy" to say the least with the 338 on Rem action, that is why the one I am building right now is being done on a Lawton 8500, plus mine is the 338 Ack Imp. However, Rem thinks that they have the testing to safely put it out at the higher PSI. I talked to Norm Chandler at a Richmond gunshow and he claimed that he was doing a lot of that testing for Rem and he took the actions to over 100K PSI repeatedly with no ill effects. He has more cajones that I do, at least I want to keep mine. Time will tell if that is a smart move.

As for loading one of the Varminter rounds in one of my WSMs. Pretty sure that my 10"x2" BAT can handle it, but long freebore and 12 twist (which is the slowest I have) and I will probably get bullet bloweup before I get the 4000 with a 12 twist. So the comparison would not be remotely accurate with only a 12 twist. Anyone got any extra 550 (1/4 lb will do) they want to send me and I do have an Oehler 35P might try it and see what I can get with 12 twist.

BH

Last edited:
The reason that I went with the 700 Action instead of a Surgeon or a Lawton was because of the difficulty in moving the bolt stop back to accommodate a 3.9" COAL. I talked to both Lawton & Surgeon as well as Shawn (who built mine) and they all stated that to move the bolt stop in the M-700 action was a much easier way to go..

40-50-60 or more posts espousing the virtues of a gun that he never owned, in a controversial cartridge/bullet set-up that he's vaguely familiar with, and about the great work of a gunsmith that he has yet to have ever owned one of his rifles.

The more people suggest that Wildcat might want to wait and receive this rifle before going on and on and on, the more he justs continues to post away while still waiting for the big brown truck to arrive. Is anyone really surprised that there has been some negative responses.

Varmint Hunter, as usual, you hit the nail on the head. I take no sides in this arguement but I do have a couple of innocent bystander observations if anyone wants to read them.

I just got around to reading this thread today over breakfast and it occured to me that Wildcat has been on this site for almost three years now and we have yet to actually see him carry through any idea to it's end. We have been given hundreds if not thousands of equipment lists and absolutely ZERO results of them. He occasionally talks about shooting outings with other's guns and gives reports of unknown reliability on unknown equipment but that is as far as it has ever gone. I'm sure he is a nice guy and all of us could probably think of many other people we know who we would much rather not go shooting with than Wildcat. He simply has a character trait that he cannot supress which is his love of telling us what his next dream is. I have a chocolate lab that has a peculiar trait like this. He is loyal, caring, hardworking, but he has a funny trait that just kills me. He can't poop unless he can push his butt up against a tree with a low hanging branch and leave a landmine on the branch. I don't know why he can't leave a turd on the ground like every other dog but that is just how he is. If a tree isn't available, any raised area will do. I go out in the yard over to my chopping block to split some firewood and there are "labradoodles" all over it!

The point is, you just have to laugh and enjoy the humor. We all know what to expect from Wildcat so arguing about something that is in his nature and about something we know isn't going to happen is time wasted. Just enjoy the humor that this individual brings to our site.

Now if I can just figure out how to get 180's up to 3000 fps in a 300 WSM while still using the magazine I will be happy.

goodgroup your singnature line is perfect,

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Wow , this is a pretty , well more of a , never mind!

I have seen guns both custom and factroy shoot reloads that were in the 80ksi range and function fine but I have also seen guns get the bolts galled in them for good with pressure in the 80ksi range both factroy and custom , I think is has alot more to do with case shape than just raw chamber pressure , the 300WSM has a good shape ,very little case taper and good shoulder angle to help reduce bolt thrust but I still think its a bad idea to to run pressures to high no matter what the action.

Has anybody run the load data through quikload to see what kind of PSI this round is supposed to be making with these bullet at this speed?

75 grains gets you this.

ScreenHunter_Apr2020080201PM.jpg

It takes 79 grains to show 4000+

ScreenHunter_Apr2020080200PM.jpg

No worries. As of today, it's reported that there's 30 guys shooting their 300 WSMs at 4000 fps with 125 Nosler BTs. And none of them have reported any injuries to themselves or damage to their weapons... so far...:eek:

Let me get one thing straight. I know about safety, I am not going to get this rifle and shoot it with the hottest load. I am going to start out low and work up. I know what I am doing, and I am not stupid. I have been shooting for 30 years. I am not a gunsmith or a ballistics expert, so I am not the best at trying to prove a point or arguing with guys like Kirby, Goodgrouper, ect. I will be the first to admit that. However, I am not going to set back and let anyone of them get away with trying to put down or say Richard is promoting an-unsafe concept.

If a gunsmith as well known and respected as Richard tells me his 300 Varminter will push the 110grn V-Max and 125grn BT at 4000+fps, do it accurately and safely, I am going to trust, listen and believe him. There are many other 300 Varminters that are reporting the success of this rifle. BountyHunter made an awesome point, there are more than 30 owners of the 300 Varminter, and they have all reported excellent results. I have gotten a ton of my information from most of them. True, I don't have my rifle yet, however, I wanted to report the results that I heard from the other owners to prove the ney sayers wrong.

Kirby-Lets get one thing straight Regarding the brass, when I said I would be happy with two firings, I was being a bit FACETIOUS. I have reported on numerous occations, the owners have all reported at least 4 firings from the Norma 300 WSM brass out of the 300 Varminter.

Phorwath-I am not a mouth piece for Richard, and I don't think I am doing anything to hender his Rifle. I am trying to defend it, the best way I can, from guys like you who try to degrade or say it's unsafe and not attainable to get this type of performance out of a 300 WSM, as long as it is set up around the correct components.

I am guilty of one thing and one thing only, being too excited about the build and continuing to post on this site. I should probably not post anymore about this rifle build. However, I am not going to let a few keep me from posting. I have not done anything wrong, and I have continued to try and get along with the guys who have been most criticle of my posts.

W.

Quick Load predicts over 87 thousand PSI to acchieave 4011 FPS while the SAAMI MAX avewrage pressure is 65 THousand (I beleive) and you (Wildcat) are still argueing that this is an acceptable safe level of pressure, because some are getting away with it(so far) is like argueing that 100 MPH is safe because many have gaotten away with speeding at 100 MPH with out incident..

22,000 PSI above the Maximum allowable safe pressure............ AMAZING that you are claiming this to be a safe operating pressure, WOW
Your Logic is simply (to put it mildly) AMAZING........
confused.gif

Kirby, I am never going to have you build a rifle for me nor do I need your expertise. So, I am not afraid to offend or upset you, or your Kirbyites with my next comments. First of all, you are a hypocrite, you continue to use the safety issue as your argument and your concerns. However, you promote a line of cartridges called Allen Mags. Your cartridges take a ton of work before the guy can even begin to shoot them. You think because a guy has to go through all of these steps of fire forming a case, ect keeps your line of cartridges and rifle builds from being bought from the average joe, NOT. Your line of cartridges, even though you promote safety on how to use them, can be un-safe aswell. REMEMBER, I SAID CAN BE UN-SAFE. I know you will never admit that and neither will your following. I bet if you discussed your line of Allen Mags on a site like 6mmBR.com, you would be challenged and have many expert Rilfesmiths question your motives and safety regarding your line of cartridges. BountyHunter is right, you and your following will never go there, because you know what would happen. It's easy for you to pick on a guy like Wildcat. Know matter how much you tell a guy how to reload, fireform, and shoot your line of Allen Mags safely, there is a chance he may not follow your advice. You honestly think all of your customers are expert riflemen, NOT. I know you tell them exactley how to use your line of cartridges and how to safely shoOt and load them. However, once that rifle leaves your shop, you don't know what the guys is going to do with it. Your Allen Mags, you promote all over this board are unsafe to the average shooter, I don't care how you and your following spin it. The fact is, there is a chance of it being un-safe. Please, don't try to come back at me and say, "How dare you say I am un-safe rifle builder and cartridge designer" and spin your rhetoric. Go some where else with your whinny self, I am sure your troopes will come to your aide and defend you. Anyhow, it's been fun, but I have had enough of the ARROGANCE of some of you on this site, and I mean SOME. Wildcat, I am sorry for doing this, but I am sick and tired of some of these guys on here acting like they know everything and telling others there wrong and their way is right. Wildcat, have fun with your new rifle, I look forward to hearing about.

Patriot44

Go some where else with your whinny self

Did you have breakfast with Bozo this morning?

If you haven't noticed every site has their "local" gunsmiths that they choose to use. Snipers Hide has them PLRH has them, we have them, 6mmbr has them and the list goes on and on. That's how it goes, deal with it.

ss7mm, will you please run the numbers with the 110 Vmax like you did with the 125 BTs.

Wildcat, I'm interested to see how the cartridge and new gun perform once you get everything worked up to what you are comfortable with.

All this arguing got me interested in the 125gr BT and I looked at accurate reloadings specs for it in the 300 RUM and they are getting 3800 fps with 95grs of powder w/ a 26" barrel (61,000 psi).

Status
Not open for further replies.